Why only 14% CPU utilization on renders?

keithmlkeithml Posts: 18
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi. I am frustrated that I get only 14% CPU utilization from DAZ Studio 64 bit on renders in Win 8.1, which is probably why they take so long. The temperatures in my system are staying REALLY low, so I know that is not the problem. Is there some setting I am missing that will speed it up. I read turning off texture spooling does the job in Carrara, is there a setting in Daz Studio to boost processor usage?

Thanks,
Keith

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151
    edited December 1969

Unless you have restricted the number of cores DS can use the main 3Delight render should use all cores. Is this happening as it plods through the buckets, gradually filling in the viewport, or it it happening earlier in the process or at the very end (there may be some functions that use only a single thread, and it is possible to end up with all of the last few buckets queued for a single thread and so using only a single core)?

• keithmlkeithml Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

This happens at the beginning before the images are processed and well before the viewport is filled in.

edited December 1969

Then that's some kind of single-threaded pre-processing. Generally that stage shouldn't take long, compared to the render as a whole, so I'm not sure what may be causing it - are you using mapped shadows perhaps?

• keithmlkeithml Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

What's strange is the percentage I gave is of the only running core. You would think that a single threaded process would at least run one core at full speed or close.

• Cross22Cross22 Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

keithml said:
    What's strange is the percentage I gave is of the only running core. You would think that a single threaded process would at least run one core at full speed or close.
    Unless it's waiting for data. Maybe textures sitting on a slow drive ?
    edited December 1969

keithml said:

Are you sure? The percentage sounds like one core out of eight (possibly plus a bit for other applications and background processes) - but if you watch the graph in Windows Task Manager, at least, that will be spread across multiple cores none of which will hit 100%.