Carrara 8.5 Pro BETA - version 8.5.1.19, Now Available! (UPDATED)

15678911»

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Thanks, I thought it was strange there was no answer from spooky. I always install by hand... except some genesis stuff I recently downloaded en masse .

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited March 2017
    Diomede said:

No, I did not get an answer. For simple things like shaders, it is no big deal.  Sometimes, as described in my posts, simply trying to load the figures and apply the shaders nomrally results in a missing file error and a dialogue asking to browse to the missing file.  This occurs even if I have made sure to load the missing file in another shader in the same scene so that I know Carrara is capable of finding the file.  Not a big deal in this case because I can attempt to load, get the error once, track down the missing texture map, and satisfy the error browse request.  I then save the fixed shader with the word Loaded in the title and am good to go forever more.

A bigger problem is that DIM sometimes installs new Carrara scene files to (seemingly) random locations.  This is not limited to 8.5 though so you may have already experienced it for one of the recent TangoAlpha or PhilW products.

I wrote to help about the howie cottage going into the wrong place so that it doesn't show up in presets, basicly got back will make a request the installer be updated, but no guarentees.  That was 2 years ago. (still not updated)

I wrote about one of Rons brushes and an issue when Photoshop updated versions and it wouldnt install it came back an error.  It tooka year and a half for that package to be updated to work through DIM

Post edited by Milo on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Several people (that I know of) have reported my problem set, and I've gone through the PA channels available to me, but the result (or lack of) is the same - no action. The irony is, the files as I supplied them were all in the correct places. I had no idea they'd muck around with them, and so didn't check the release files. My fault. But now ... totam vigilans, as it were.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Carrara as a software needs a forum where development for plugins addons etc by third party persons can be freely discussed without invoking the commercial  TOS of a larger forum.

Its a shame Carrara Cafe which was created for just that purpose has been plagued by hacking and issues.

edited March 2017
    th3Digit said:

Carrara as a software needs a forum where development for plugins addons etc by third party persons can be freely discussed without invoking the commercial  TOS of a larger forum.

Its a shame Carrara Cafe which was created for just that purpose has been plagued by hacking and issues.

hear, hear (or is it here here)

maybe hear http://bond3d.wixsite.com/carrarators would be a good place to start one up -

very off topic and totally unrelated to this forum ..... I've just been listening to 1984 - (the book) - it reminded me  that OBrien actually 'set' Winston Smith up - by giving him somewhere to play so he could keep and eye on him.

from Wiki

Eventually O'Brien approaches Winston with some leading remarks which seem to confirm Winston's suspicions. Winston finds the courage to approach him candidly, declaring himself an enemy of the totalitarian state. At first, Winston's intuition seems to be correct: O'Brien presents himself as a member of the "Brotherhood" seeking to overthrow the Party and Ingsoc. O'Brien invites Winston (who then invites Julia) to his flat where, as a member of the Party elite he lives in comparative luxury. There he extracts a series of pledges from the couple that they are prepared to do anything to serve the Brotherhood, except (at Julia's protest) to separate from each other.

In truth, O'Brien is an agent of the Thought Police, and is completely loyal to the Party and to Ingsoc

Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

even Poser users get told something about their software by the developers 

maybe one day Carrara users will as well crying

I'll now get back to my mushrooms.... where did I put that bull......... oh!...... there it is. devil

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

There is a lot of stuff out there for Carrara nobody hears about here sadly and I am always unsure just how much one can say about it, I even asked customer service and was told could discus just not link to 3rd party commercial sites but this is not always the case in my experience, we want dynamic cloth solutions and the ability to use Genesis 3 figures and content etc  but its such a minefield finding ways and getting people to develop plugins and products.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Wendy, I really like this forum.  But based on recent events, I'm starting to agree with you.

I've been a system mod on another (non-3D) forum for 17 years, and I have never seen anything like this.

Rather than merely sitting around and complaining about the lack of development, people here actually want to facilitate improvements in Carrara through their own efforts.

Shouldn't that be encouraged?

Strange world we live in.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

I'm that upset I forgot to put sugar in my coffee

and it still tastes good!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited March 2017

...one of the new issues are products that only have Iray materials. As I understand they are a pain in the bum to convert for Carrara.  It's not just G3 and G3 content, but scenery/architectural sets and props as well.

Fortunately I find Carrara's Shader tab to be much more intuitive than Daz's Shader mixer the latter which to me looks like an overturned bowl of udon noodles.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:

...one of the new issues are products that only have Iray materials. As I understand they are a pain in the bum to convert for Carrara.  It's not just G3 and G3 content, but scenery/architectural sets and props as well.

Fortunately I find Carrara's Shader tab to be much more intuitive than Daz's Shader mixer the latter which to me looks like an overturned bowl of udon noodles.

Carrara's shader room is easy. Even I can understand the nuts and bolts.

And if you want to delve deeper then you can. So simple but powerful.