I would like to know the definition of Uber (alone)

iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552
edited December 1969 in New Users

Just trying to understand it but cannot find it anywhere. Thanks for your contribution!

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited November 2014

Within the context of this site and DAZ Studio, "Uber" refers to a variety of shaders and light shaders produced by omnifreaker. Some of these are available for purchase, some come bundled for free with DAZ Studio.

In a more general sense, "uber" means "the ultimate, above all, the best, top, something that nothing is better than" (according to Urban Dictionary). Or in its original sense, it's the German word for "over" (and related meanings): http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/über#German

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited November 2014

Post edited by prixat on
    edited December 1969

To add on to my previous comment, if you see someone at this site using "Uber" alone, they're probably using it as shorthand for one or several omnifreaker products. This is somewhat ambiguous. For instance if someone says, "I used Uber lights in this render," I'd assume they lit the scene with a combination of UberEnvironment2 and UberArea lights (the ones that come bundled with DAZ Studio), though it's possible that they could have meant either one of these by itself, or even something else like UberSpot or UberPoint lights.

• iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552
    edited December 1969

I understand it very clearly. Wonder how should new comers learn about this. It's really like myth in the fog. Thank you very much Scott.

edited December 1969

If you're looking to learn more about Uber lights, these threads have a wealth of good information. They are probably better suited for slightly more experienced beginners rather than brand-new beginners.

Learning UberEnvironment2
    UberArea Lighting: The Basics
    Point Lights: The Basics (covers both standard point lights and UberPoint)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

dungtrin said:
    I understand it very clearly. Wonder how should new comers learn about this. It's really like myth in the fog. Thank you very much Scott.
    Time, dedication and a thirst for learning, sorry for teaching one's self by searching via Google. Took me about 3 years. :)
  • Szark, THANK YOU for these links! 

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    nelm2010 said:

Szark, THANK YOU for these links! 

My pleasure but Scott posted the links. :)

• Ûber simply German for over