Daz Studio gets Interactive Progressive Rendering (IPR)

scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Interactive Progressive Rendering (IPR) - Interactively and progressively preview the final render of your scene as you work on it. IPR allows for realtime camera, light and material modifications.

Will Carrara get this very useful feature in Release 9?

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

I rather doubt it. Progressive rendering is a feature available in 3delight, they just had to to set up a pane that used the already avalable feature in 3delight. As rar as I know, Carrara's internal renderer does not do progressive rendering, so they would actually have to build/write a progressive renderer for Carrara.

Oh wait.......there is already a progressive renderer for Carrara. It's called Octane Render :)

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:

Oh wait.......there is already a progressive renderer for Carrara. It's called Octane Render :)

Yes indeed. It can also be used for rendered images whilst you are modelling which can be extremely useful in certain situations. The output is more realistic too.

The future is that the cost of unbiased rendering will fall as each new high end graphics card hits the market (forcing the ex-high end cards to drop in price).

Lovely!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:

Yes indeed. It can also be used for rendered images whilst you are modelling which can be extremely useful in certain situations. The output is more realistic too.

The future is that the cost of unbiased rendering will fall as each new high end graphics card hits the market (forcing the ex-high end cards to drop in price).

Lovely!
    Right!
    And even at the current prices, I think that the images that you two show us reveal it to be a worthy investment, if you seriously want it. I often diminish my settings for spot render purposes, and even turn off texture mode in the view port for a lot of my stuff. It just doesn't bother me to design in low-view.
    But I'm sure that it's one of those things... once you use it, you never want to go back! :ahhh:

edited December 1969

Here's the truth

Outdoor scenes it's blisteringly fast. For modelling and scene set up I put the viewport on 800x450 for fast preview.

However with complex indoor scenes such as my movie it takes quite a lot of practice to get the thing to render in an acceptable preview time. When it comes to the main frame (1920x1080) the render times for these complex internal scenes can vary enormously. From 1 min per frame (on £700 worth of graphics cards) to infinity and it still isn't right (but say 25 mins for a yardstick).

This might change with rewrites to the kernel (which is getting faster with each rewrite) and more powerful cards - but I'm just warning you.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Here's the truth

Outdoor scenes it's blisteringly fast. For modelling and scene set up I put the viewport on 800x450 for fast preview.

However with complex indoor scenes such as my movie it takes quite a lot of practice to get the thing to render in an acceptable preview time. When it comes to the main frame (1920x1080) the render times for these complex internal scenes can vary enormously. From 1 min per frame (on £700 worth of graphics cards) to infinity and it still isn't right (but say 25 mins for a yardstick).

This might change with rewrites to the kernel (which is getting faster with each rewrite) and more powerful cards - but I'm just warning you.

Such is why I am still a die-hard for my old standard of designing my own lighting and performing my down-and-dirty renders. I've never had much money to work with - especially for my hobby of making a CG movie series. With Carrara and my $1,000 (USD - including Win7 64 bit and the cheaper version of Vegas) home-built 8-core render machine, I'm getting better results than what I was after originally.
    I do get hyped about the increasing advances in rendering technology with Lux Render, Octane, and such, mainly so that it can cater to those whom may wish to go that route. But I like how multi-core cpus can now be picked up, with a compatible mother board for less than the cost of those giant priced video cards - and those cpu cores are what feed the speed of a Carrara render. Carrara does offer plenty of tools to get the render turning out how I like it at fast enough speeds for my needs. This is one of my favorite things about Carrara - its PR render engine capabilities.
    edited December 1969

Dartan,

Well isn't it great that your art has exceeded your initial hopes! I've seen some tremendous renders from you via Carrras own renderer. I share in that feeling that the renders are now meeting my hopes.

Getting back to the thread topic specifically With Octane, a small window open an an older graphics card, you would get those quick interactive previews as long as your scene sticks to natural light and one emitter.