There's No One in the Kitchen - My new animated short created in Daz!

I just released my latest short film on YouTube, There's No One in the Kitchen, and thought I'd post it here in the forum! If you take the time to check it out, I really hope you enjoy it :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qntlp8zxhPE

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Well doneyes

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,900

Sven Dullah said:

Well doneyes

Thank you! 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317

That was really good. Spooky and good. Nice production value too.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Some of the facial expressions were unconvincing, but overall, for a one man show, it was pretty good.

Though I did notice Daz Studio's terrible IK made the characters slip n' slide every time they walked.

margrave said:

Some of the facial expressions were unconvincing, but overall, for a one man show, it was pretty good.

Though I did notice Daz Studio's terrible IK made the characters slip n' slide every time they walked.

Hmm interesting, I wonder how the facial expressions could have been more convincing, it was all done with facial mocap through Facemotion. Unless my acting wasn't up to par, which is definitely why I didn't do any of the voices LOL.

And yeah, I love animating in Daz but the IK feet sliding thing is what makes me irritated the most. The couple of walks in here were all done with Mixamo stuff too. I'm patiently waiting for the ability to animate in Blender and port that animation back into Daz to render as I prefer rendering in Daz. 

But thanks so much for taking the time to check it out! 

FirstBastion said:

That was really good. Spooky and good. Nice production value too.

Thank you do much!! I'm so happy to hear it was spooky :)

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited April 2021

Hmm interesting, I wonder how the facial expressions could have been more convincing, it was all done with facial mocap through Facemotion. Unless my acting wasn't up to par, which is definitely why I didn't do any of the voices LOL.

The facial expressions felt kind of stiff and underwhelming. Just a guess, but I don't think they transferred over well from your face to the overexaggerated cartoon heads. There were times I could tell the kid was trying to emote, but the eyes or mouth didn't open wide enough, the eyebrows didn't lift high enough, etc. It came across as creepy, but unfortunately not in the way you intended.
    Post edited by margrave on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited April 2021

bravo.

The story was strong enough to distract me from my now-natural urge to critique and analyze the production techniques we all use. That's a huge win for you and your team.

The render styles and techniques were great, no uncanny valley issues at all - it was its own style and didn't want to be any more 'real' than it was.

What really jumped out at me was the brilliant camera work. I admit that the unusual perspectives distracted me a couple of times, but given the number of cuts and shots that were fascinatingly powerful at putting me in that room as an involved participant, you knocked it out of the park.

If I watch it a couple more times, I'm sure I'll start to notice the technical points mentioned above, but on first watch, whatever issues that may have been there did not get in the way of my complete engagement!

To my ear the sound, music, voicing was all dead-on (character and believable intonation/acting), and the editing choices worked well with the given shots/angles. The footsteps/squeaks could be pulled down a tad in the mix, as I think it wouldn't take as much volume to fill that gap - I suppose that distracted me a bit if I noticed it - so be it.

Renders/lighting were 'just right', and the regular use of DoF was excellent.

The little details in the animation were really nice touches. One that stood out for some reason, was the kid, clinching his jaw, when he was out of focus from behind, when the hand was calling him from the washer - nice touch.

strong story for the win - and yes, creepy.

thanks for the moment,

--ms

edits: wording/spelling

Post edited by mindsong on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I LOVED the camera angles. I felt I was right there! Very nicely done  yes

• benniewoodell said:

I just released my latest short film on YouTube, There's No One in the Kitchen, and thought I'd post it here in the forum! If you take the time to check it out, I really hope you enjoy it :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qntlp8zxhPE

Thats really Good in my opinion . I would love to know about "behind the scene" and how your approach to tackle  DAZ studio`s limited animation toolset

Thanks

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    That was EPIC! Fantastic job!!
  • junkjunk Posts: 1,226

Right on!  That is the highest quality daz3d animation work i have ever seen!  

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,609

Nice work. Great use of angles and depth of field. And the lip sync was solid. What did you use? Facecap? Facemotion?

• GhostDogGhostDog Posts: 156
    edited June 2021

Some of the best Daz animation work I've seen. The piece really highlights what can be accomplished best. The slipping feet was the only thing that didn't feel up to the quality of the rest (which I realize is a Daz issue). I wonder if a clever angle and an intermediary object could show the walk but hide where the feet touch the floor? Anyway, congrats! 

Post edited by GhostDog on