Bryce software issues

This discussion was created from comments split from: Brycers, link your galleries....

Comments

• Honestly there are times when I feel like killing myself out of sheer frustration at the number of crashes and freezes that my version of Bryce keeps perpetuating!

Right now, I've been trying to create a simple sphere and wrap a texture around it but it's too much to ask of Bryce. It refiuses to load it, saying it cannae find it and then some stupid dialog box pops up that won'd go away so I end up just force qujitting it completely.

It's almost enough to make me wanna go and learn Blender!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

akeel1701_2a0cb6b70c said:

Honestly there are times when I feel like killing myself out of sheer frustration at the number of crashes and freezes that my version of Bryce keeps perpetuating!

Right now, I've been trying to create a simple sphere and wrap a texture around it but it's too much to ask of Bryce. It refiuses to load it, saying it cannae find it and then some stupid dialog box pops up that won'd go away so I end up just force qujitting it completely.

It's almost enough to make me wanna go and learn Blender!

Screen shots would help us to help you troubleshoot this.

Also this would be better if it was in a thread of it's own and not tacked on to the end of a thread with a completely different topic.

We can make it into it's own thread for you if you agree.

• Yeah sorry about that I was just on a rant - and it was pretty late too

Aye, It might be worth makng a new thread about what software issues we enounter - I don't recall seeing a thread specifically about that

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

There you go,   you can edit the top post and change the thread title if you want to.

• Thank you, Chohole

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

akeel1701_2a0cb6b70c, one thing you always have to have in Bryce is patience. When you have made an action, you should be very sure that the action is finished, before taking another action, otherwise Bryce can easily crash. Things such as landing down multiple objects van take a lot of time. I often am impatient and therefore also experience crashes. And one thing also: save often!

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,836

For me Bryce has only crashed once since I started using it again and that was after making too many copies of an object.  Not sure why it would take exception to what you are trying to do.

• edited April 2021

Thought I'd show you guys this..... 

I made it a few years back in Bryce, when it used to run natively on my pre-Snow Leopard iMac. I tried to make it again but there's no way that's gonna happen any time soon, sad to say.

The file simply refuses to open under the Windows version of Bryce - I then tried to remake it from scratch in my Windows version and saved and closed the file - and it refused to open. So I'm basically hitting a wall every time.

But let me know what you think of it

Post edited by akeel1701_2a0cb6b70c on

Akeel, would you like to share the file and see if someone can save it for you as a newer version?

• https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O5JrpeJmnSN8iJeTJrSQ9dqT600Jrwxq?usp=sharing

Hi there, I've put the file onto my Google drive here, hopefully you will have better luck with it.

Cheers

Akeel

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911

akeel1701_2a0cb6b70c said:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O5JrpeJmnSN8iJeTJrSQ9dqT600Jrwxq?usp=sharing

Hi there, I've put the file onto my Google drive here, hopefully you will have better luck with it.

Cheers

Akeel

Looked at your file. The render took 24 seconds. I didn't understand the intention. It weighs 44.7 MB. If you want, you can reduce it to 500 KB.
    1. Your spheres are the size of a pea on the render. But you have three 4000x2000 bitmap textures. If you reduce them to 200x100 (and even up to 100x50), then nothing will change visually. This is done in any viewer in two clicks. I did it. The file size has decreased to 10.9 MB. The two spheres named "Sphere 1" and "Bahamut" have the same size, coordinates and texture. Perhaps this is done purely to increase the file size? The other 5 spheres are not included in the camera's field of view. Obviously the same goal is being pursued? Only one (duplicated) object with a raster texture is visible on the render. Delete the duplicate and other objects outside the camera's field of view!
    2. There are 4338 mesh objects in the scene. Most of them are not visible in the field of view of the camera. Can't you delete them?
    The rest of the mesh objects need to be replaced with clones. This will reduce the file size by another 100 times. You make as many clones of the mesh sphere, for example, from the IST family. Ctrl + I, then Alt + I several times. Select another sphere from the IST family, copy the matrix (Alt + C), delete the sphere. Select the clone of the sphere and insert the matrix (Alt + V). The clone occupies the same coordinates and all other attributes as the deleted mesh object. The mesh object weighs 1 ton, and its clone weighs 1 gram. As a result, your file will become less than 1 MB.
    3. If you do too many such operations of deleting heavy objects, then the memory may overflow and Bryce will crash. Therefore, press Ctrl + S more often.
    I am explaining all this to you with the expectation that you seriously want to work at Bryce. Otherwise, why did I spend so much time analyzing your work? 

• Hi Slepalex

I don't know if you got the chance to look at the video file I posted above.

The idea here is that there are all these planets and trade routes, and the camera moves from one to another, which is why not all of them are appearing at the same time in the same shot, I originally created the whole thing in VectorWorks so I could the coordinates right, and was working through them replacing each mesh with a native sphere, exactly as you've outlined, but I hit a brick wall when my older iMac died on me and I had to get a newer iMac, only now the system post-dated Snow Lepoard so Bryce running natively is not an option.

In the meantime, thanks for having a wee look at my file. 

• Hi Akeel,

I could open it, render it, save it, reopen it, render it again, save it under a new name without any problems at all. I wished it would have crashed, but... I'm afraid it seems I cannot help you.

Another guess is using of LLA. Have you already installed LLA for addressing memory over 2GB? Here is a link with more information

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45469/is-bryce-large-address-aware-or-not

Hope it helps.

edited April 2021

Akeel, I had no problem with this file.  I zoomed in and out, rotated, moved and used different camera views.  It did not crash once.

I like the idea of what you are trying to do.  Lots of work in this already.  If you fly a spaceship from planet to planet and each one has an adventure on it, it would be such a cool game or journey.

Edit:  I have also installed the LLA for addressing memory that Electro-Elvis mentions.  Super small and quick to install.

Also, you should remove the shine that is on the Earth planet.

Post edited by NGartplay on
  • Thanks for all your insigts Guys

Akeel, do you need help still?  I don't know that any of us has solved your problem.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

Great scene, setup & video. Looks like the only thing missing in the file (compared to the video) are the keyframe.  Curious to know what program was the model created in? 

• Hi NGartplay, well I'm really not sure how to implement the LLA on my iMac... I've been a bit busy with some other things and have not yet had the time to explore that further as yet

S Ray, thanks, the original model was created in VectorWorks 2014 then expolrted to 3DS objects which I then imported into Bryce 7 Pro. The reason it looks unfinished it because it was still a work in progress when my iMac died in 2014 (it was running Tiger at the time) so I had to get a new iMac running Mavericks and found out that there was no running Bryce natively on my iMac ever again

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,124

akeel - LAA only work in Windows. Large Address Aware is a flag that can be set (or unset) for any program running on Win. A 32 bit program (like Bryce) can address 4 GB memory at most, Win keeps half of it to itself so there are only 2 GB. But when you set the LAA flag, Win releases the reserved 2 GB and you get 4 (well, Bryce about 3.2 to 3.5 GB). Macs work differently and it may well be that you can use almost the full 4 GB on it without LAA tricks.