Licence Question

Say i modeled a character myself instead of buying one off the shop,could I use the character commercially?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    edited April 2021

Do you mean modeling a complete figure from scratch, or a character based on an existing figure?

And what kind of "commercial use" are you thinking of?

Post edited by Leana on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

emrakul said:

Say i modeled a character myself instead of buying one off the shop,could I use the character commercially?

Are you using somebody else's art?

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    edited April 2021

emrakul said:

if you used a "genesis based base body (male or female), like genesis 8 male or female, you still have to buy the license base for genesis 8 characters the essential genesis 8 license.

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-8-starter-essentials

now if you are creating a full original character without using any daz model characters as base, then i'm not 100% sure only moderators can tell, but you don't have to pay license, unless you try to use any texture or others already existing stuffs from daz or any pa artist, then you have to pay the license for that stuff, like for exemple morphs, materials, poses, anything you are using from someone else you have to pay.

and the license is only if you want to make any "product" which allow the customer interact with the 3d product, for exemple games, or some 3d presentations like VRs, if you are just using renders or making pre rendered animations/movies and bla bla bla then you don't need a interactive license.

also you only need to pay the license "before release the product" or before you share it with anyone which is not part of the development team, which means if you want make beta tests and those stuff then you must pay the license, if you are still on the development stage and only members of the team are having acess(to develop ocfourse) then is fine, you can't share with outsiders before buy the license, after that you can share with whatever you want as long you are geting "profited with it and it have a license to be bought.

Another limitation is which is you can't create a character using pa stuffs, for exemple you model your own character but use a PA artist texture then try to sell it let's say on unreal market" as your own character, then you can't even if you have bought the license, this rule i'm not 100% sure how it's work but is something like that, the only exceptions to this rule would be "merchant resources" which technically allows you to let's say create characters using those stuffs and sell this character using those stuffs, at last for daz, i don't know how exactly it work when selling outside daz,

would be good you contact daz salles support to get more info.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

Well i have purchased interactive license's for all my pro character bundles plus i also licensed the generic base models of all genesis with v4 & m4 models, basically licensed all the shaper morphs like face and body shaping morphs as players would be moving these around and using them to shape chararcters, i just cover all licensing so i can pretty much use the content for everything, the only thing you can't do is mass produce say a firgure in 3d and sell it, you can make a personel copy but say you wanted to do plastic 3d model kit molds i think you may need another license because i think it states you can only make copies for private use, as for editors you can pretty much use the content in digital format in games and other productions but you can't make another editor like a game and have all the content in it like 3D Novel Maker tried doing before Daz3D ask the maker to take the product off Steam store due to licensing issues.