Applying Labels

Could someone please point me to a tutorial that can show me how to apply a label to an object. I seemed to have missplaced one I found years ago.

Thanks

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited April 2021

if you look at the properties, you can type over the name.

or do you mean like adding a logo to a tshirt?

rename.png
    1280 x 720 - 64K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • StuieStuie Posts: 58

The answer to Mystiarra, yes, like applying a logo to a shirt. Headwax, I've been to those tutorials in Carrara Cafe, but they don't seem to exit anymore. I've already tried to work in the Shader room by making it multichannel, putting a rectangle on top of the existing shader and applying a texture map of my making. I applied a png so there's no background in the image. Nothing shows when I render it out. A bit frustrating at this point.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

There are two tutorials linked at the following comment.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1789236/#Comment_1789236

One by Age of Armor and one by Cripeman.

If neither of those work...   and If the png transparency isnt working, and if the alpha channel isnt working, you can try a multichannel mixer.  Without knowing more about your specific models, UVs, shader trees, etc., a brute force method would be to take your logo in an image editor, duplicate, paint the png logo white, place it over a black background, and then use the white on black composite as a blender in a multichannel mixer.

You can also use Carrara's 3D paint tool to 'stamp' the logo on.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Stuie said:

The answer to Mystiarra, yes, like applying a logo to a shirt. Headwax, I've been to those tutorials in Carrara Cafe, but they don't seem to exit anymore. I've already tried to work in the Shader room by making it multichannel, putting a rectangle on top of the existing shader and applying a texture map of my making. I applied a png so there's no background in the image. Nothing shows when I render it out. A bit frustrating at this point.

The workaround you are using should work.  The main issue is that you are not seeing the new texture applied to the rectangle.  Maybe try using a plane instead?  Also, you can try changing the name of the new texture map.  If the texture is a 2nd or 3rd version, Carrara will continue to read the 1st version unless you change the name.

The more complete answer is to use a layers list.  Basically, you select the object you want to apply the overlay to, go to the shader room, and change the top menu to layers list (under the complex shaders tab).  It will look like nothing changed.  But at the bottom, you will note a new + sign.  Click on that + sign, and you now have some choices of different ways of displaying your new overlay.  If your overlay is rectangular (for example), choose rect layer.  The new tabs are then rect layer, shader, and opacity mask.  In "shader," select a new multichannel tab and enter in the texture map that you want to use as the overlay.  "Rect layer" and "opacity" mask are channels that you can use to set the limits of how the new texture map overlay is applied.

It will take some experimentation.  I know this is not as satisfying as a video tutorial, but it is the best I can do at the moment. :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796

also check that your UVees are matching up with the logo wink  yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

To be honest id export the wire frame texture and put the logo on in photoshop .... im just lazy ;)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited April 2021

Headwax said:

To be honest id export the wire frame texture and put the logo on in photoshop .... im just lazy ;)

Me, too, but I cheat even more.  I just had to make a rugby academy logo and that is exactly what I did. Once it was designed, I just opened a basic tee-shirt and hoodie texture map for a male figure wardrobe item into PS, saved as my new texture, applied logo, saved in a few colours (as layers in the PSD). Save each colour combo as a separate texture file.

If you make your label/logo on a coloured background, use the PNG as well as it does not put JPG artefacts into the image which causes smears, etc.  Then load your tee or hoodie into Carrara onto a model and apply the logo/label texture.  I alpha-d the model so only the tee/hoodie shows as not being flat, then it looks like it is on a body for style appeal.  

wink Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on

SileneUK said:

Headwax said:

Me, too, but I cheat even more.  I just had to make a rugby academy logo and that is exactly what I did. Once it was designed, I just opened a basic tee-shirt and hoodie texture map for a male figure wardrobe item into PS, saved as my new texture, applied logo, saved in a few colours (as layers in the PSD). Save each colour combo as a separate texture file.

If you make your label/logo on a coloured background, use the PNG as well as it does not put JPG artefacts into the image which causes smears, etc.  Then load your tee or hoodie into Carrara onto a model and apply the logo/label texture.  I alpha-d the model so only the tee/hoodie shows as not being flat, then it looks like it is on a body for style appeal.  

wink Silene

there' also carrara painter - a neglected corner of the software! I guess you could stamp a logo in situ

had a quick play with carrara 3d paint  - not sure how to get the texture without adding a colour 

Untitled-3.jpg
    1932 x 1440 - 570K
  • StuieStuie Posts: 58

Thanks all, finally got it to work. I like the cheating ideas, an easy way to do it but it does't allow me to move it around once It is applied. I used it to put some blood splatter on the walls here.

Zombie01.jpg
    888 x 675 - 122K
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,978

an interesting subject noneless