Can't set up runtime.

ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 169
edited November 2014 in Carrara Discussion

So I'm totally new to Carrara, just got it last week. Every single time I try to load something I get promted to set up my default runtime, everytime I try to, but nothing happens, the window just closes and I still have no runtime. I have tried to auto detect runtimes, still nothing. I can load Michael 4 but if try to load genesis or genesis 2 it fails. Daz studio works fine, everything has been installed with Daz install manager. I'm baffled, any help woul be appreciated. Windows 7 64 bit.

Post edited by Scarecrow on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I assume we are talking about Carrara 8.5, if not Genesis wont work anyway?

If you installed your content using the DIM, then in Carrara you need to enter two paths for that library. DIM install by default into
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library and this folder contains a folder called 'Runtime' which is where any Poser format content is installed to.

Genesis and Genesis 2 are NOT Poser format, but DAZ Studio format, and you need to enter the path for that as well. You should end up with two paths in your Content tab in Carrara, one called 'My DAZ 3D Library Runtime' for the Poser stuff, and the other called 'My DAZ 3D Library' for the DAZ Studio Format content (usually .DUF)

If you only have one of the above listed, then that is your problem I think.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Here's a cool Tutorial by Stezza on how he gets Carrara to communicate with his content.

• ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 169
    edited December 1969

Yes Carrara 8.5, and yeah that sounds like my problem. My Daz 3d library is only there once. Thanks so much for the help.

edited December 1969

Well still can't get it to work...

edited November 2014

Now I'm not sure I know what the issue is, so let's try and start from the beginning, okay?
    I'll start with this and then tell me what is or isn't happening from there.
    Try and be very specific and detailed.

I should add that, if you already have a DAZ Studio Library mapped when you've installed Carrara, it should already be there... two of them:
    My DAZ 3D Library
    and
    My DAZ 3D Library Runtime

The first one, My DAZ 3D Library, if using a default installation from DIM, will have all of your Genesis and Genesis 2 stuff in there. Open it up using the little white triangles and find People > Genesis

So, let's add a Runtime to the Carrara browser.
    If you have existing Poser Runtime structures, and you want to add them to your browser, use the Content Tab, and the File/Folder menu icon on the far right, as shown in the image below.

Add_Runtime.jpg
    1680 x 945 - 807K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited November 2014

Yes it is all a default dim installation, but there were never 2 libraries showing up in the browser, only My Daz 3D Library. So I tried to add the second, where your picture shows, and now it's there in the browser "My Daz 3D Library Runtime" but the first one "My Daz 3d Library" has dissappeared.

Post edited by Scarecrow on
    edited December 1969

Hmmm...
    It sounds to me like you CMS isn't running.
    For the original Content Management Service, I believe that you can go to (I only know Windows)
    Program Files (x86) > DAZ 3D > Install Manager > cms
    double-click the exe. inside that folder.
    You may need to restart your computer after

Note that I may not have the path names exactly correct, I'm not on my Carrara machine until tomorrow.

There may be other ways using DAZ Studio.
    For example, you could open DAZ Studio and go to Edit > Preferences
    Then go into content library, or something like that, and look in there at ways to create a new library - or to load in and recognize one that already exists, like a Poser Runtime, for example.
    Once you get this all set up and working, try running Carrara again.

This whole thing seems strange to me, since I've never has trouble loading runtimes into Carrara, and I started as a newbie with Carrara 8 Pro. So I'm wondering if there might be some sort of crazy anti-virus thing at play here? I don't know.

edited December 1969

Another thought:
    Did you make new categories in the DIM when installing your content?
    Does any of your stuff work in DAZ Studio?
    Did you try adding the "My DAZ 3D Library" back into the Content tab?

edited December 1969

Everything works fine in Daz studio. All my installation is Daz Install Manager default. If I try to add "My Daz 3D Library" again "My Daz 3D Library Runtime" disappears and it says "Libraries" and that is some other location that doesn't have any content in there. I really appreciate your help. Now I now that something is not right and it's more than me just not knowing what I'm doing.

edited December 1969

Okay,
    when you add "My DAZ 3D Library" to the Content tab, a dialog will come up asking if it is Content or a Runtime folder. For this, choose "Content".
    When adding "My DAZ 3D Library Runtime", choose Runtime.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Then as Dartanbeck says you should end up with two library folders in Content as in my fist post:

You should end up with two paths in your Content tab in Carrara, one called ‘My DAZ 3D Library Runtime’ for the Poser stuff, and the other called ‘My DAZ 3D Library’ for the DAZ Studio Format content (usually .DUF)
    edited December 1969

Then as Dartanbeck says you should end up with two library folders in Content as in my fist post:

You should end up with two paths in your Content tab in Carrara, one called ‘My DAZ 3D Library Runtime’ for the Poser stuff, and the other called ‘My DAZ 3D Library’ for the DAZ Studio Format content (usually .DUF)
    Exactly ;)