Carrara Hair Room

OldminerOldminer Posts: 134
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I would like to develop some strand based braided hair, does anyone know of a tutorial that might cover this? I have Phil W's Learning Carrara and it provides some guidance but I hope to find some detailed help!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

EUGENEWD said:
    I would like to develop some strand based braided hair
    Yikes!
    Now there's a challenge! :ahhh:
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited November 2014

I think you would be better off looking at modelling the hair braids rather than trying to do that in the hair room. I have tried something similar quite a while ago - if it helps, if you look along the axis of the braid, each strand performs a figure of 8 shape as it goes along, and if you model just one strand and then duplicate twice for the three strands of a normal braid (moving each one along of course!).

Post edited by PhilW on
  • OldminerOldminer Posts: 134
    edited December 1969

Thanks I'll give it a try, I tried using three hair rooms and it looked like a start but it was really intensive trying to visualize as 3d.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

EUGENEWD said:
    Thanks I'll give it a try, I tried using three hair rooms and it looked like a start but it was really intensive trying to visualize as 3d.
    Well, it's designed to create "moving" hair strands, not things like braids. That doesn't mean that it cannot be done, but it will certainly be difficult to get good results. You could spend a week or so braiding the guide hairs, but those are only guides. The strands will not comply with your braided guides request, and will simply take off all over the place.
    Definitely not trying to be, or sound negative, though, Eugene.
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

EUGENEWD said:
    Well, it's designed to create "moving" hair strands, not things like braids. That doesn't mean that it cannot be done, but it will certainly be difficult to get good results. You could spend a week or so braiding the guide hairs, but those are only guides. The strands will not comply with your braided guides request, and will simply take off all over the place.
    Definitely not trying to be, or sound negative, though, Eugene.

If you don't use simulations you may get it to work. I tried with to get a bit of a braided look before other things distracted me. I was doing kind of okay. Tr setting it up as either its own hair group or an entirely different hair object.

• OldminerOldminer Posts: 134
    edited December 1969

I thinkI'll just stay with a modeled braid. Sometime good ideas aren't so good. Oh well on to the next grand idea!