[Tutorial] Daz hair to Unreal Grooming System (via Blender pit stop)

GutoCraftsGutoCrafts Posts: 50
edited April 2021 in Unreal Discussion

Guys, an awesome person did a script to help convert mesh hair to particles hair using blender which can be converted to the Unreal Grooming System.

Download here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/445851/hair-converter-add-on-for-blender

This only works with hairs where the UV is vertical, but most Daz Hairs are built like that.

How to:

1) Put the hair in your character

2) Export to Blender using the Blender bridge

3) On object Mode, select the hair

4) On edit mode, select one vertice of the scalp

5) Press Ctrl+L and then press P and then Enter.

This will select all the other vertices of the scalp and create a new mesh from it

6) Switch back to Object mode.

7) Select the hair mesh and while holding in shift, select the hair cap. It’s important to select the hair mesh first.

8) Select the “Hair” menu on the right-hand side of the 3D viewport.

9) Click the “Convert Hair” button.

10) In the Particle Menu, Under the Render Tab, Disable Show Emitter

11) Export as alambic with the settings on the image below. 

12) Before importing to unreal, enable the two groom plugins on your project (alembic groom importer) and groom.

13) Import the mesh with the following rotations options: X: -90 / Y: 0 / Z: 180  ||||||||||| OR use X: 90 and Scale Y: -1 

14) download a similar meta-human hair and apply the same settings for the physics.

I'm still early testing. Let's work together to improve the results.

qweqew.png
979 x 698 - 106K
a.png
952 x 367 - 27K
saddas.png
650 x 775 - 619K
Post edited by GutoCrafts on

Comments

• fengkanfengkan Posts: 20

Looking forward to a tutorial video of this~

• fengkanfengkan Posts: 20

Found this video, showing the whole process. It is very helpful for a blender newbie like me.

• wintoonswintoons Posts: 371

Hi, I've imported the hair onto unreal but I am not getting any colour for the hair.
    How do I bring the color onto the hair? 

• Can anyone confirm this works in UE5? Followed the entire video, but when I import the .abc file all I get is a scalp. I'm exporting the scalp with the hair with the settings used in the video. UE5 seems to have a ton more import options than shown in the video, so unsure if my settings are correct.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796

you need to hide emitter (the scalp) in the particle settings before exporting the abc file.

its also fussy about what order you select stuff 

• I have an issue that's been bothering me for awhile, and I was curious to see if anyone here has a solution.

This plugin works great for groom hairs in UE, so long as the hair in Daz is a single piece of geometry (ie, all the strands are connected). But there are many hairs available that come as seperate objects. For example, many OOT hairs are separated underneath the hairband, like this:

This causes problems when converting the hair. The physics don't work properly in UE, since the hair geometry is separated. This means any hair that is separated in this manner (and there are a lot of them) are unusable, unless there is a workaround. I tried joining the hair geometry together at the nearest vertice in Blender, but that didn't seem to change anything.

If anyone knows of a way to connect the hair in a way that will allow it to function properly in UE, that would be awesome.

• edited January 2023

st3ph3nstrang3 said:

I have an issue that's been bothering me for awhile, and I was curious to see if anyone here has a solution.

This plugin works great for groom hairs in UE, so long as the hair in Daz is a single piece of geometry (ie, all the strands are connected). But there are many hairs available that come as seperate objects. For example, many OOT hairs are separated underneath the hairband, like this:

This causes problems when converting the hair. The physics don't work properly in UE, since the hair geometry is separated. This means any hair that is separated in this manner (and there are a lot of them) are unusable, unless there is a workaround. I tried joining the hair geometry together at the nearest vertice in Blender, but that didn't seem to change anything.

If anyone knows of a way to connect the hair in a way that will allow it to function properly in UE, that would be awesome.

did you try maybe selecting the hair tie as part of the scalp? maybe that would leave it inplace?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on