When will the developers of Carrara Pro iRAY from nVidia add to it as an additional render?

Greetings to all Carrara people!

I apologize for the multi-posting, if this is the case? ..

I am seriously interested in the question: when will the developers of Carrara Pro iRAY from nVidia add to it as an additional render? The thing is, I loved working with it in D | S, and now I want to use it for the Carrara Pro too. But it's not there? .. And it can't be? .. Please, somehow (but ok) attach iRay to Carrara! Interactive rendering right in the scene window is awesome !!! Materials for iRay are awesome !!! And the photorealistic renderer is outdated for a long time, and a lot of fiddling with it! And yet, believe me, DAZ Girls are three times more beautiful under the rays of iRay!

I put the question bluntly. iRay is a must in Carrara - after all, it's almost like 3DS Max, and Max already has iRay, and for a long time! Developers, heed my request!

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

There has been no development at all on Carrara for years, so honestly I doubt it will ever happen.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    You have Octane render as a rental for 20-ish per month. Then there is the free beta of LuxusCore, based on an early beta of LuxCoreRender. https://carraracafe.com/luxuscore-for-carrara-plugin-unofficial-manual-2015-02-15/
    Carrara native render engine gets updated and closer to the iray look with these plugins from Philemo: https://carraracafe.com/new-carrara-plug-in-pbrlightingmodel/ and https://carraracafe.com/new-plugin-hdr-light-domes/
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

3drendero said:

Carrara native render engine gets updated and closer to the iray look with these plugins from Philemo: https://carraracafe.com/new-carrara-plug-in-pbrlightingmodel/ and https://carraracafe.com/new-plugin-hdr-light-domes/

Thanks for the reminder.  I have not re-installed many of my accumulated plugins since my last hardward update.  Definitely need to make sure I have these and other Philemo plugins installed correctly.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

3drendero said:

You have Octane render as a rental for 20-ish per month. Then there is the free beta of LuxusCore, based on an early beta of LuxCoreRender. https://carraracafe.com/luxuscore-for-carrara-plugin-unofficial-manual-2015-02-15/

I wish Daz would buy Octane and make that free as well - along with the Carrara plugin for it!

But I agree with your next post - Carrara's render engine Rocks!!! Philemo's plugins make it even more powerful and flexible. Hmmm... it's been a while since I've used Luxor for Carrara. I should really start looking into that again. And for that... there's no place like Carrara Cafe for the best info!

Daz3d.com has stopped selling the Luxus plugin for the older Luxrender 1.6. The free but unfinished Luxuscore beta is still available.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

Carrara native engine can be faster (and totally noiseless) than iray or Octane if you avoid one thing.

Alpha map transparency

you can still use alpha and transparency and keep the speed but not UV map based, 

Shading domains and geometry are your friends.

on flat surfaces or for paralax setups Philemo's cutouts help enormously.

I wish we had something similar for complex surfaces but understand how difficult that would be to implement, not only would the surface need subdivision but to retain its UV mapping while being punched out.

I have tried shrinkwrapping or Zprojecting cutouts to such surfaces in other modelling softwares.

• oandr88oandr88 Posts: 21

Thank you all for your answers!

I will study.

Basically, the irradiance map is not a bad method.

Just started uploading and publishing a scene with Deco rendered with him on RenderErotica ...

One of the pictures got 7 likes and 6 points! 80)P

That's what the Life-Giving Photorealistic Renderer does !! X0)=)

So the irradiance map is ok, but I need it to be better.

Thanks again to all, now I will look for the plugins you proposed.

• oandr88oandr88 Posts: 21
    edited July 2021

Wow! Already downloaded and installed, ran test render.

Reby Sky with him is just gorgeous !! ...

In addition, I really liked that it was not necessary to convert all shaders from the standard ones on Luxus, as is usually the case in 3DS Max with Corona (and results in a genuine tragicomedy, yyy)

I just didn't understand: why, when using the usual Distant Light, the model's face "burns" from the blinding light? I already removed the brightness in every possible way, but not in any: it burns almost white, and that's it. Apparently, this is a glitch, and I will have to use only Luxus lighting, and it's time to forget about Carrara's own bulbs.

In general, I think that I should do my next photo session with him, hmmm ...

And now, attention, the question: is it legal to use this, old and free, version of this renderer in commercial projects? In other words, DeviantArt and other online shopping galleries? I would like legal clarity about copyright ...

LuxusRenderer1.jpg
    3664 x 2160 - 991K
    LuxusRenderer2.jpg
    3664 x 2160 - 992K
    Post edited by oandr88 on
    The original LuxCore is using the free for any use, Apache license I think. Get the latest download if you want the hard facts: https://luxcorerender.org/download/
    The LuxusCore plugin is a free beta version with no time limit or any other limits by the author SphericLabs. Should be mentioned in the latest post here in the forums, if you need a hardcopy.
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

iray is the extremely last update i'd want for carrara.

• (Beware: there is artistic nudity in this post !!!)

Hmm ... Luxus did not please something ... Some skins for V4 are terribly buggy with it ... It's a shame ...

In addition, somehow the settings in this free plugin are not enough ... I'm so used to all the checkboxes and buttons with clear names in Carrara Photorealistic Renderer that this Luxus seems to me something too cool and abstruse ...

In the end, I decided to switch to Octane! Don't ask me what it cost me to just run it (OTOY has some kind of complicated bureaucracy with the installation - "download that, you don't know, what, and put it there, you don't know where"). I'm broke now (Aiko-Aiko sweetheart - you'll ruin me), so I downloaded the demos from the OTOY website.

The first thing that impressed me was the cost. I will still pull 40 euros a year, even though it will cost me ~ 3500 rubles. (Beauty requires sacrifice !! Hehe ... Even though this amount is my monthly budget for buying food ... however, you Western people are probably already pretty tired of the groans of us Russians about our poverty, aren't you?)

The second is, in fact, quality. The level of graphics in Octane is several times higher than in Carrara. In the screenshot below from one of my scenes, I showed you how I ran it in Carrara, how the same scene looked with Carrara Photorealistic Renderer ... and how it looks in Octane !! It's just heaven and earth, guys! ..

All in all, the Octane Renderer is very cool. In addition, I downloaded it myself for Poser (SuperFly is AWESOME) and for D | S (so, for experiments in the field of future practical applications, I really like iRay there, hmm). I will buy. Thank you all for the tip, I owe you - I now have gigabytes of new erotica and yuri.

Looks like you renders were removed. Stick to posting faces only I guess...
    There were some M4/V4 shaders for either Luxusrender or Luxuscore in the old Carraracafe freebie forum that was lost. Maybe they can be tracked down...

Here are the M4 and V4 shaders for Carrara and LuxCore, made by someone else.

Trying to track down the renders and source.

zip
    zip
    3_4_base_lux.zip
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

here is the link for Carrara Cafe

https://carraracafe.com/

• I agree, Octane is great AND expensive.

I started with the beta back in 2013 and acquired the Carrara plugin in 2017. I got a special bargain because I was upgrading from the beta.

I will stick with version 4 which was a one time buy and will resist as long as I can the rental model. Even in the occidental world, 40 euros is still real money wink

The only issue I have with version 4 is the lack of shadow catcher. Not worth the money to upgrade.

The Carrara plugin is really well done and is a pleasure to use. 

• 4 has shadowcatcher, 3 already had it, it is called matt

I have a shader set up for both engines you can grab yes

zip
    zip
    shadowcatch.zip
    762B
  • THANK YOU Wendy heart

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited December 2021

I'm with @Philemo_Carrara and @WendyLuvsCatz on this one. Version 4 of Octane is wonderfully fast, well written and gives good results. It's also stuck in time like Carrara, so a good fit!

Regarding noise in Iray Renders and speed. The big advantage DAZ has over Carrara (unless Iray rendering is built into Carrara AND Daz store items are developed with Carrara scenes ready built with Iray shaders), is the speed of developement and believe it or not - rendering (with a caveat).

For animators, the out-of-the-box ready-to-render lighting and shaders is massive. The render speeds (with a little compromise in quality) are generally very quick if you use the built-in de-noiser. As in many things 3d, 80% correct is usually enough, especially if you have movement on the screen.

However, for large scenes Carrara is so much more stable, which is why I'm not forced to live in a 3 program world - Carrara for large scenes (with Octane 4), Daz for smaller scenes or close ups (looks great with less effort), and Twinmotion for outdoor graphics (swaying trees, weather, people walking about - all with near instant rendering).

It's getting fragmented out there as a Daz/poser animator..

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • Sci Fi Funk said:

I'm with @Philemo_Carrara and @WendyLuvsCatz on this one. Version 4 of Octane is wonderfully fast, well written and gives good results. It's also stuck in time like Carrara, so a good fit!

Regarding noise in Iray Renders and speed. The big advantage DAZ has over Carrara (unless Iray rendering is built into Carrara AND Daz store items are developed with Carrara scenes ready built with Iray shaders), is the speed of developement and believe it or not - rendering (with a caveat).

For animators, the out-of-the-box ready-to-render lighting and shaders is massive. The render speeds (with a little compromise in quality) are generally very quick if you use the built-in de-noiser. As in many things 3d, 80% correct is usually enough, especially if you have movement on the screen.

However, for large scenes Carrara is so much more stable, which is why I'm not forced to live in a 3 program world - Carrara for large scenes (with Octane 4), Daz for smaller scenes or close ups (looks great with less effort), and Twinmotion for outdoor graphics (swaying trees, weather, people walking about - all with near instant rendering).

It's getting fragmented out there as a Daz/poser animator..

Denoisers can be great. I'm experimenting with the AI denoiser built in Ospray studio and it's impressive. It can cut render time by 5 (in most cases) to up to 10 (in some cases). 

• I guess everyone wants to make money in any way they can, but trying to sell Carrara (32$ with 80% discount ;) when it is a dead application with no support whatsoever and no new development is a bit ugly, it might fool some new user to actually pay money for it without understanding that they pay for something that will never get an update again, but maybe that's just me.

Especially as the description is a bit far from truth also, it starts with "Carrara 8.5 offers the latest in DAZ technology"  ummm....

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited December 2021

mikael-aronsson said:

I guess everyone wants to make money in any way they can, but trying to sell Carrara (32$ with 80% discount ;) when it is a dead application with no support whatsoever and no new development is a bit ugly, it might fool some new user to actually pay money for it without understanding that they pay for something that will never get an update again, but maybe that's just me.

Especially as the description is a bit far from truth also, it starts with "Carrara 8.5 offers the latest in DAZ technology"  ummm....

they are pushing digital reciepts that are part of a blockchain, Carrara has actual functionality still as opposed to that! blush 

plusses for the cashstrapped

it renders faster than their flagship program if you don't own a Nvidia graphics card, you can buy the useable content up to and including Genesis 2 much cheaper too as well as it having a robust FBX importer to use outside of DAZ content

Even if you are a DAZ studio iray stalwart, if you want to model stuff it has great functionality for that! Smoothing and edge creasing on Carrara obj exports works in DAZ studio unlike Blender!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Don't get me wrong, Carrara is great, I am just a little bit against trying to sell something that is "dead" from a development point of view, they should have it as a permanent free item.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197

Philemo_Carrara said:

Denoisers can be great. I'm experimenting with the AI denoiser built in Ospray studio and it's impressive. It can cut render time by 5 (in most cases) to up to 10 (in some cases). 

Thanks for letting us know it's out there. I will investigate. As an animator ANYTHING to save time is a blessing!

Cheers

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited March 2022

You can get pretty nice results out of the native renderer for carrara but as it's CPU based the render time will be much higher than with a GPU based render engine.
    This character was rendered with the native render engine from Carrara, pretty close to what i made with Octane renderer but render time was higher.
    https://www.renderosity.com/gallery/items/2621133/siad-sandjar-kaweh
    https://www.renderosity.com/gallery/items/2621135/siad-sandjar-kaweh-2

This one i've rendered in Octane
    https://www.renderosity.com/gallery/items/2651642/siad

On the other hand, as there was said, there are a few alternative solutions for external render engines as you don't really need a render plugin but some features of Carrara might be missing there.
    So a standalone renderer would also do a great job but for example, Carrara hair won't render in Octane standalone but it will render in the Octane Renderer for Carrara but the Standalone is needed for Octane Renderer for Carrara to work but as long as you use normal modeled hair, any standalone render engine will do it's job, just have to save the file as obj for example, import it to the renderer and render it.
    You can also import to blender and use the cycles render engine as it's pretty good too but cpu based, but there are also gpu based render engines for blender available like VRay.
    I've also have Indigo RT for iClone which is pretty nice but this is also available for blender.

Just wanted to add, if you stick with the internal renderer, there would be an option for speeding up the render time if you use Network rendering. Good thing is, if you have multiple PC's or PC and Notebook for example, you can LAN them together (also WLAN them together) and install Carrara on all of them but you just need to open Carrara RenderNode on the other systems, on the main system you just do the render. I did that a few times with my old i7 920 and my W510 Notebook with an i7-720QM.

Post edited by Chris Fox Art on
  • mikael-aronsson said:

Don't get me wrong, Carrara is great, I am just a little bit against trying to sell something that is "dead" from a development point of view, they should have it as a permanent free item.

I also think so, they should just make it open source so that everybody could develope and modify it. If the Daz Stuff is not interest in developing, they should at least let the community do it, there are enough people out there who could make it.