Ocean primitive speed

Frank-2602955Frank-2602955 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi,

how can I change the speed of the waves for the ocean primitive. For my scene they are much to fast. When I check 'Override time' I have no animation at all anymore no matter what value I enter for the time.

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited November 2014

You must add a keyframe at the end of your animation time.

For ex. type 10 in the two parameters and also 10 at the end for the replacement time, you can see the waves are more slowly.

Post edited by DUDU on
    edited December 1969

With looking at there more closely, it is more difficult than it appears to create a keyframe.
    I didn't understand the logic yet, but you must have a keyframe at the end, as on the screenshot.

Capture.JPG
    1258 x 397 - 56K
  • Frank-2602955Frank-2602955 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I got it work, but it's difficult to find the right speed. It seems to be related to the value you enter at the end of your animation and the duration. So as long as you don't know yet the final duration you can't find the right speed.
    That is very annoying!

Regards and thanks for the hints

Frank

edited December 1969

Two tutos on CarraraCafé, Carrara 7 user guide… none explains the exact process.
    All that I know, 100= the default speed and 10, it is 10% of this speed…

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249
    edited December 1969

I know that it's impossible to find actual instructions on what speeds up the action of the waves. Then someone explained it to me and, what they said was still incomplete. So I asked for clarification and never got an answer back! LOL

My Carrara must be different or something. I could maybe set a keyframe if I moved it or something, but I don't see any 10% or 100, or that stuff. I have a field like this 00:00:00, where I can add digits into those spots.

I did a frame-by-frame Play mode (turning off "Skip Frames") and tested the differences and found that 00:00:01 is really slow and that 55:55:00 is much faster.

I was making the river flow in the Woodlands base. As a default, I have it set at 00:02:00 with a resolution of 126x126, which renders quickly, doesn't require huge processing, and flows nicely and somewhat slowly. Crank that up to 1024x1024 (last thing you do, because it makes the work space really sluggish after that - so do that just before rendering, if you go that high - at least with a sizable piece of Ocean) and set it to 55:00:00 to really have it cruise along, with lots of very sharp waves. I should also mention that, since this is a stream, I also have the Wave amplitude turned down to 0.30 ft.