Got bored and tried to model my own head, it's hard!

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Holy cow, the more I try organic modelling (I use Sculptris) the more impressed I am with those capable of making realistic looking comparisons! I didn't even come close, it looked like I was trying to make Mr Potatohead.

A long time ago I read that someone had a pipeline to create a head shape that works in DS using pictures to generate it. Does anyone know what that is? At first it was just something to play around with for the night, but since I failed I've got that itch now. Anyone know if what I'm talking about exists?

Comments

• viluvuluviluvulu Posts: 72
    edited December 1969
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

It certainly sounds like it! I worked at a bioinformatics job in highschool, where I was the guy who put the dots on the faces. Ideally you want more than one angle. This software lauds it's ability to make a face from one angle, but that would significantly lower the quality. Do you know if you can do multiple angles?

• viluvuluviluvulu Posts: 72
    edited December 1969

I tried a older version long time ago and if i remember correctly you could only modify 1 angle (front).
    It also created a face texture for the face only from the image you used as a model. So when you change your character skin to something better it will also change your look completely.

However i'm known for having a bad memory ;)
    So don't take my words as facts.

They might be total bs.... :P

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
    edited December 1969

well Faceshop 6EZ which I have uses profile as well as front so I imagine the later versions do too

• throttlekittythrottlekitty Posts: 173
    edited December 1969

Holy cow, the more I try organic modelling (I use Sculptris) the more impressed I am with those capable of making realistic looking comparisons! I didn't even come close, it looked like I was trying to make Mr Potatohead.

A long time ago I read that someone had a pipeline to create a head shape that works in DS using pictures to generate it. Does anyone know what that is? At first it was just something to play around with for the night, but since I failed I've got that itch now. Anyone know if what I'm talking about exists?

Could also be FaceGen if you're talking about automation: http://facegen.com/

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
    edited December 1969

I have both and both have side profiles, facegen both sides

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

Sculptris is really more sculpting (hence the name) than traditional modeling. These kind of models are either for concept or presentation and not really for use, as is, in 3D programs because of their normally high poly count. A model made with proper topology that has good edge flow, can be made with far less geometry and is better for use in such things as animation. Models that are sculpted have no real edge flow and, to sculpt in greater details, merely increase the surface geometry to look smooth. To use in 3D applications, a modeler would retopologize the sculpt to give it the edge flow it lacks and make it much lower poly.