how to use spline in carrara 8.5 pro

hi my name is pablo banegas I like to know how to use spline in carrara

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Hi Pablo.

The Spline Modeler section begins on page 300 of this pdf, which is page 288 of the actual book. It may be easier to just scroll down to the third page (iii) of the Table of Contents and click on the chapter. It's under Modeling, just after the Vertex Modeling stuff.

Carrara Pro User Manual Revision G

There's also a lot more information about Carrara in my Carrara Info section

You can read and/or download the cool 3dXtract magazines, find links to all sorts of topics...

If you can find a copy of either the Carrara 3 Handbook or Carrara 5 Handbook - both by Mike de la Flor, he covers the Spline modeler in good detail. But you should get a good start from that User Guide link I put in the post above. There's a wiki from the old ArtZone, but all the images are gone, and it was just a copy of this manual anyway. 

Okay... much easier for you.

Here is a tutorial from our fallen friend, Cripeman.

As he talks in the beginning, watch what he does with his mouse. You'll see him click on the wine glass in the upper left of the window. Then he drags into the scene, which launches the Spline Modeler.

He has a bunch of video tutorials and he uses the Spline Modeler quite a bit.

I have an index to all of his tutorials in my Carrara Zone - Cripeman Tutorial Index

He does bevels in the Spline Modeler in this one:

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

theres also some spline samples in the carrara native content
    to play with.

i feel intimidated by the spline modeller, lol

Mystiarra said:

theres also some spline samples in the carrara native content
    to play with.

i feel intimidated by the spline modeller, lol

Me too! LOL

I have studied it enough to feel comfortable to play with it, but it just... well... intimidates me!

But you are absolutely correct. All of the items in this Native Content List pdf are Spline models

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

I still use splines to fill in quick details of a scene.  In my recent challenge entry, the borders were done with splines. With snap to grid enabled, I drew a square on the drawing plane.  I drew and inner square.  Used the geometry preset for compound and... kapow ... I have a frame for the album.  Duplicate, change texture, and reduce size a little and... kapow ... I have an inner border for the frame.  Need a third frame with the top pulled down?  No problem, duplicate again and pull down the two inner points from the top, and change texture again.  Need a partial line with two arrows pointing down?  Use the spline to sketch out on the drawing plane.  

Everything that was not text or in the forest scene with people is a spline model.

Here are the steps.

- in spline modeler, choose front camera for flat drawing plane.  use the square preset.  use pen tool and draw square.

- select all.  copy.  paste.  now a second square is on top of the first.

- select corner point and drag inward (hold shift to constrain ratio, i think)

- open arrange menu and choose to combine as compound

- in directors view can see spline model frame and use side lines to thicken or flatten to taste

aa02.jpg
    1650 x 957 - 126K
    aa01 spline and square.jpg
    1735 x 991 - 133K
    aa03 arrange combine compound.jpg
    1641 x 986 - 197K
    aa04.jpg
    1521 x 973 - 180K

Suddenly I feel a Lot les intimidated.

In fact, now I want to play with the Spline Modeler!

On that, I haven't had much time lately (what else is new, right?) so all of my time is spent on a specific purpose of animating. But when I did have a bit of time, I was reading through the Carrara 3 Handbook cover-to-cover from the beginning. I'm at the part where we start to model a human head in the Spline modeler, and Mike de la Flor also takes a lot of the anxiety away from the Spline modeler for me. I'm so glad I got these books and look forward to doing the exercises!

Right away, when I saw the head we are about to model, I thought of you, Diomede, and your Adventures of Brash Lonergan and Moxie!

edited April 2021

Dart - I started a 'pinup page" for our books for Carrara.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/491021/carrara-handbooks-for-previous-editions-pinup-art#latest

--

On spline models, my Silent Running movie robot has a lot of spline modeler elements.  I made it for a challenge back in June of 2014.  Time flies.

bb02 silent running robot trapezoid.jpg
    1752 x 911 - 190K
    bb01 silent running robot.jpg
    1083 x 935 - 182K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Diomede said:

I still use splines to fill in quick details of a scene.  In my recent challenge entry, the borders were done with splines. With snap to grid enabled, I drew a square on the drawing plane.  I drew and inner square.  Used the geometry preset for compound and... kapow ... I have a frame for the album.  Duplicate, change texture, and reduce size a little and... kapow ... I have an inner border for the frame.  Need a third frame with the top pulled down?  No problem, duplicate again and pull down the two inner points from the top, and change texture again.  Need a partial line with two arrows pointing down?  Use the spline to sketch out on the drawing plane.  

Everything that was not text or in the forest scene with people is a spline model.

Fantastic work Diomede - looks great!
    Thanks for the mini Spline Modeler tutorial. yes

Dartanbeck said:

Suddenly I feel a Lot les intimidated.

In fact, now I want to play with the Spline Modeler!

On that, I haven't had much time lately (what else is new, right?) so all of my time is spent on a specific purpose of animating. But when I did have a bit of time, I was reading through the Carrara 3 Handbook cover-to-cover from the beginning. I'm at the part where we start to model a human head in the Spline modeler, and Mike de la Flor also takes a lot of the anxiety away from the Spline modeler for me. I'm so glad I got these books and look forward to doing the exercises!

Right away, when I saw the head we are about to model, I thought of you, Diomede, and your Adventures of Brash Lonergan and Moxie!

Oh wow, I totally don't remember a tutorial modeling a human head in the Spline Modeler! Would definitely be cool to see again in retrospect.
    I do remember the head modeling tutorial in the Vertex Modeler, way, way over my head at the time...(tee hee hee, get it? Ugh, I know... cheeky)

Diomede's Brash Lonergan and Moxie figures are fantastic!!

My mistake - the human head in Carrara 3 Handbook is done with the Vertex modeler, it's an airplane we're doing in Splines. Still a very cool book!

It lloks like the Carrara 5 Handbook has lessons for Spline modeling a rocket, a low poly character in Vertex, and a character head and concept car in Hexagon.

Wow Diomede, that Silent Running Robot is Awesome!!!

Yeah, every once in a while I open many of the example models from the Carrara browser and take a look at how they're made - well... I look at the pieces that they're made up from. It's incredible what all can be done with some fairly basic shapes and interesting shaders, which is actually a big lesson to take from Mike's Handbooks.

I always claim (truthfully) that I'm not in this hobby to make models, but I can't help but to feel the urge to possibly change my mind on that. Looking at your cool threads of how-tos and showcases, as well as others, gets really inspiring - pulling me closer to taking yet another break from my main goals to have some fun!

But speaking of fun, my animation work has Never been as fun as it is now. An animation just finished rendering, so I looked through that particular collect of animations to see how far I've come and, yeah... I'm excited to see what I've accomplished over the last - I'm not even sure how long. Lots of heavy focus on expressions, body movements, secondary actions, soft-body physics, lighting and camera work... I feel better at this than I've ever been a looking forward to sharing!

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156
    edited April 2021

I think the real power is with Doublesweep and Gordon surfaces. It's a lot to wrap your brain around, but it's basically patch modeling and poor man's nurbs modeling.

This guy Cripeman has a good way of explaining things. I see from Dartanbeck's comment above, Cripeman is no longer with us. Unfortunate!

Post edited by Torquinox on
    edited April 2021

Very. He and I became good friends during the time when I created the ►►► Carrara Information Manual ◄◄◄, which was originally only meant to be an Index to his great tutorials. It was his idea to expand it, and expand I did - got a bit over my head I think. But it was a lot of fun to make!

Dartanbeck.com was made as a way to continue and preserve that work and has the beginnings of a whole new Index to his work.

Kapow!!!

I shall cherish the time we've spent together Always!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I see. Lucky you got to be friends with him! Seems like he was a great guy. He certainly inspired you.

For some reason, your inset image is inaccessible. I can see Kapow and your tribute line, but no picture.

Fixed!

• PGrePGre Posts: 95

In the early days of Ray Dream, all we had was the Spline modeler.

PGre said:

In the early days of Ray Dream, all we had was the Spline modeler.

One day I'd love to boast the entire collection, or at least a cpoy of each major release, including Ray Dream. 

It wasn't long ago when I saw many of each version available via Amazon. Not anymore sad

edited April 2021

I'm getting myself geared up for some fun with the Spline modeler. Time to take the plunge!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Dartanbeck said:

Fixed!

yes

Dartanbeck said:

I'm getting myself geared up for some fun with the Spline modeler. Time to take the plunge!

It'll be fun to see what you do.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I can make a variety of bottles in the Spline modeller easily devil

I do cups, bowls, and chess pawns too

edited May 2021

Dartanbeck said:

My mistake - the human head in Carrara 3 Handbook is done with the Vertex modeler, it's an airplane we're doing in Splines. Still a very cool book!

No mistakes - Happy Accidents!!! smiley

Because now you piqued my curiosity and now I have to investigate...ah, right there in Native Content:

Browser > Objects > Misc > Face

Now I want to take a shot at making my own. laugh

content_face_web.jpg
    1034 x 968 - 126K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited May 2021

Out of total curiosity I tried opening a super old Carrara file from when I first started.
    I chose a file that had my rocket / space ship, the one in my avatar here on the forums - it is all Spline Model parts.

Cheers

Edit to add: - I've forgotten a lot about Spline Modeler secrets. blushcrying

rocket_assembly.jpg
    1781 x 1147 - 172K
    star_window_web.jpg
    1227 x 1175 - 117K
    Post edited by DesertDude on