Male Armor recommendations?

CinnatwistCinnatwist Posts: 91
edited April 2021 in Product Suggestions

Been brainstorming a medieval/fantasy build and found that there is a wide selection of outfits and scenery available, but I still wasn't quite happy with any of the armor options. The "Vinnuth Kriegor Battle Mega Armor" and "dForce Dark Guard HD Armor" was probably the ones I most liked. Hoping to find some armor sets in the more classic Blizzard or Fable or Bethesda type fantasy style -- bulky and heavy looking. 

Any I might have missed? Maybe some other sites or sources? Any old sets deleted off Daz Store that might fit it? 

Post edited by Cinnatwist on

Comments

• Cora ReginaCora Regina Posts: 731

Not sure which ones you've seen, but my forever favorite is probably Paladin HD MMXV for G2M (it's heavy but not massive like Dark Guard). And of course there was Paladin and Paragon, back in the M4 era. If you feel into kitbashing things or need something else in the way of a barbarian, Dragonsbane Barbarian Clothes HD also has some pretty chonky pieces that may be of use. Hard to go wrong with Luthbel. Roguey and Strangefate also do great work and have STF Bone Breaker. Finding a cohesive and balanced heavy/massive set can be kinda difficult (light and medium are easier), and mixing, matching, and reshading is generally the way that I have to go. Orlean's Armor has some potentially useful pieces, as do Death Knight Armor and the Axoran Demonic Armor Regalia (asymmetrical but that's what Mirror Geometry and its Genesis 3 counterpart are for).

There's also the option of converting female armor. I like using the Cross-Figure Resource Kits for this, I've had much better luck and things have gone more smoothly and quickly than with a standard autofit. Breastplates rarely convert well because of the different chest geometry, and the other area that gives me grief is the groin. Still, I have a whole mess of female armor that I've satisfactorily fitted to males, including The Legend (which has one of the better breastplates for conversion). Some parts of Strangefate's Kadis set may be of use and it converts really well, minus the chestpiece. IgnisSerpentus' catalog has some Blizzard-y looking stuff that might kitbash well. It's difficult to find decent male armor in general, especially these days, so it's worth browsing the female sets for stylized bits that you can add to a male cuirass or something.

Regarding older stuff, I've generally had terrible luck fitting rigid items like armor, sports equipment, etc. However, Xurge3D(.com) does have lots of armor sets for M4, including "Nordic" armor. The downside is that some sets have multiple items combined into one piece.

Hopefully this hasn't retread too much ground that you've already covered.

• Cora Regina said:

Not sure which ones you've seen, but my forever favorite is probably Paladin HD MMXV for G2M (it's heavy but not massive like Dark Guard). And of course there was Paladin and Paragon, back in the M4 era. If you feel into kitbashing things or need something else in the way of a barbarian, Dragonsbane Barbarian Clothes HD also has some pretty chonky pieces that may be of use. Hard to go wrong with Luthbel. Roguey and Strangefate also do great work and have STF Bone Breaker. Finding a cohesive and balanced heavy/massive set can be kinda difficult (light and medium are easier), and mixing, matching, and reshading is generally the way that I have to go. Orlean's Armor has some potentially useful pieces, as do Death Knight Armor and the Axoran Demonic Armor Regalia (asymmetrical but that's what Mirror Geometry and its Genesis 3 counterpart are for).

There's also the option of converting female armor. I like using the Cross-Figure Resource Kits for this, I've had much better luck and things have gone more smoothly and quickly than with a standard autofit. Breastplates rarely convert well because of the different chest geometry, and the other area that gives me grief is the groin. Still, I have a whole mess of female armor that I've satisfactorily fitted to males, including The Legend (which has one of the better breastplates for conversion). Some parts of Strangefate's Kadis set may be of use and it converts really well, minus the chestpiece. IgnisSerpentus' catalog has some Blizzard-y looking stuff that might kitbash well. It's difficult to find decent male armor in general, especially these days, so it's worth browsing the female sets for stylized bits that you can add to a male cuirass or something.

Regarding older stuff, I've generally had terrible luck fitting rigid items like armor, sports equipment, etc. However, Xurge3D(.com) does have lots of armor sets for M4, including "Nordic" armor. The downside is that some sets have multiple items combined into one piece.

Hopefully this hasn't retread too much ground that you've already covered.

Thank you so much for your thought-out reply. Seriously, the amount of "retread" was minimal, and you have helped me discover a few sets that come close to what I wanted. Browsing the Daz Store is difficult, putting in "armor", "armour", "knight", "warrior", and whatever brings up such different things and I could only imagine what I missed beyond that -- hence why I posed the question here. You, and many others here, know a lot more of the Store contents than newcomers like myself. 

Your response was a great help to me. Thanks, dude. 

Any more replies are welcome, though!