posing pack plugin can't get to work

destrechtdestrecht Posts: 24
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Either I'm not using it right or I didn't install it right..

carrara 8. it's installed in the extensions folder.

I open carrara and double click on the model line. It opens but all the stuff is still gone. What's wrong?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Not sure what the problem is. More information on what doesn't work would help. But here's what I know off the top of my head:

- Known Issue - Does not work with Genesis, Genesis 2, or other new DAZ Triax Rigged figures (like Dragon 3, DAZ Horse 2, Big Cat 3, etc.,) due to the structural differences in the figure. The author, Fenric, is looking into this for a future fix.

- Export PZ2 or BVH pose or animated pose file:
    With the figure selected, go to File > Export
    Select PZ2/BVH - this brings up a dialog
    Make your selections within the dialog and name the file export
    *Important - DO NOT give the name the file extension, even though there is one auto-added in the naming field

- Other Pose Tools functions
    With the figure selected, go to Edit > Fenric > Pose Tools (or which ever tool you need)

Hope this helps. But if not, just tell us what is or isn't working, what you're doing... something....

• destrechtdestrecht Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Ok- I want to be able to delete and change a bear to a groundhog http://carraracafe.com/forum-3/?cid=1&show=1479 that's my orgiginal post. Someone suggested this extension. The file is bear.cr2. from daz animals.

There is no sign at all that the extension is being used. Nothing. the only options I have on the model droplist are transform, move to drawing plane, offset surfaces and center symmetry plane on selection.

edited December 1969

Ahhh...
    There's a readme with that plugin that tells you how to do it. I think. I have the manuals, but not sure if they were a separate download? I'm pretty sure that they came with the plugins. Look inside your Carrara installation. Mine is in a folder called "Docs", but I might have put them there myself - was a long time ago.

Here are the notes from the ReadMe, in case you can't find yours:

Creator Notes

- The Duplicator package includes the following commands:
    Tree Duplicate
    * This will make a copy of a tree or subtree of items in your scene.
    * It is important to make sure that any dependant objects are part of the overall group being duplicated.
    * If you are using Target Helpers, Point At, IK Track, ERC, or other such liking modifiers, then you may run into program stability issues if you do not duplicate all of the items together as a block.
    * The easiest way to ensure this is to put both the main item and the Target Helper (for instance) into a standard group.
    * Carrara does not function properly if items such as conforming clothing are placed into the Animation Group of a figure - create a standard group outside of the figure, instead.
    Add Keyframes
    * This will add a keyframe for every key-frameable value of the selected item at the current time.
    * Very useful to enforce start/stop points for NLA clips and the ERC module.
    Unlock Figure
    * This will remove the special protection from Poser figures and allow you to edit vertices directly and add Morph Areas and Targets, as well as changing crease/smooth values for edges.
    IMPORTANT
    * You must DOUBLE-CLICK on the MODEL line in order to edit it! Not the "wrench" icon, not by going to the model room, and not by clicking on the figure name.
    YOU MUST DOUBLE-CLICK THE MODEL LINE IF YOU WANT TO EDIT THE MESH.
    IMPORTANT
    * Use with Caution! Adding or removing vertices and edges may result in crashes and irreversable corruption of Scene data.
    Restore Figure
    * This will restore the special protection to a Poser figure that you have previously unlocked.
    * It will have no effect on Native Carrara figures and may cause Carrara to lock up or crash.
    * It is strongly recommended to re-lock a Poser figure as soon as you are done with whatever changes you wanted to make.
    Change Rotation
    * This will change the rotation controller method to "Angles".
    * This is useful when setting up new native figures, because Carrara will default to "Quaternion", which breaks many animation helper routines.
    Set Figure Visibility
    * This allows you to make bulk changes to the "Visible" flag of imported Poser content.
    * This is separate from the Carrara "Visible" option, and affects the visible status of the facets of the model itself.
    * Note that this command can be quite slow to complete.

edited December 1969

Yes, I read that file- I'm the kind of person that tries to find everything he can before asking for help. I checked in the extensions folder to make sure they were there as well. they are. I did the double clicking as opposed to the wrench icon...

edited December 1969

Oh... wait!
    Here's a quote from the original post:

I'm trying to change a bear into a groundhog.
    so I open the bear file, (from Daz, I think) and double click on the 'model' opening it up in the vertex modeller.
    I can manipulate stuff, but I can't subdivide or delete anything.
    is there a way to get around this?

Okay... don't.
    You'd be better off starting a new model from scratch, I think. I'm pretty sure that if you go deleting and subdividing the mesh like that, you'll be breaking the model anyways, so you'll lose the benefits of starting with this model, like for using the rig for posing and such. I fear that, by the time you're done, you'll end up with an unusable model.

Rather than deleting and/or subdividing, you could probably pull of a fine reshaping of the original mesh. Just take your time. I have to leave for work now, but you can even do this as a morph, so that the transformation can take place live - something you cannot do if you change the number of polygons in the mesh. ;)

edited December 1969

Yes, I read that file- I'm the kind of person that tries to find everything he can before asking for help. I checked in the extensions folder to make sure they were there as well. they are. I did the double clicking as opposed to the wrench icon...
    Oh... so you're saying that the plugin isn't installed/working?
    Did you download and install manually, or did you let DIM do it?
    Either way, you need a S/N for it to work, which should pop up when you open Carrara, I think.
    - The S/N will be in your account at DAZ 3D

If you never get the dialog for entering the S/N, then it's not installed properly.

If you don't use DIM (I Love that thing! ) then like you said, you just unzip the entire package into your extensions folder. If that didn't work, try downloading it again? Maybe something's corrupt?

edited December 1969

One more thing...
    you can change the level of subD smoothing, even without unlocking the figure. In the Model room, use the Smoothing slider on the right. You will only see the changes in the working window if you apply it to the "model" level.
    Then you're actually making your changes to a model with four polygons for every one polygon, but they are virtual. Then when you're done, you can turn this back down. If you need it up, then only bring it down on the Model level slider for better working view performance.

edited December 1969

I'm using windows, but first I tried using dim and then I tried about with the exe file. the zip only seems to include mac.

I guess now it's "I paid for this thing, so I want it to work" instead of work arounds.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

You say you're using Carrara 8? Not C8.5? I have read about issues sometimes with plugins not working if they're for a different version number or 32 bit Vs. 64 bit. Don't know if this is one of those where it matters, but it couldn't hurt to check. Also, check Fenric's web site to see if there are updates or fixes that may help you.

As to the bear into a groundhog, I agree with Dart. Either look for a groundhog or use the VM to manipulate the existing mesh without deleting or adding polygons or vertices. pushing and pulling them into position is fine. Aside from the instability mentioned in the section of the read-me that Dart posted, you will also most likely collapse the UVs making the included image maps for the textures useless.

edited December 1969

I checked to make sure it's 64 bit. Don't have the money for 8.5.

I tried to find a groundhog first. most were cartoony.

Just now found a beaver on daz. (NEW!) gonna try it.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

Daz also has a raccoon and a skunk.

skunk https://www.daz3d.com/skunk-by-am

Racoon http://www.daz3d.com/raccoon-by-am

edited December 1969

Yeah, all of my Fenric tools work on both 8 and 8.5

Let's see if we can perform a little trouble shooting. I'm really sorry that my replies will be rather long in between, as right now I work, eat, sleep. Otherwise we'd likely have this going by now.

I'm about to crash for the night so I'll offer some suggestions and check here when I wake up.

You did say that you put stuff in your extensions folder. Make sure it's in the Program Files > DAZ 3D > Carrara 8 > Extensions folder.
    I know that it took me a while before I realized that I didn't need to install the Render Node, but that's only for other network render computers. Sorry - not trying to insult your intelligence, just talking out loud.

So a great place to begin would be to open the zip for the Pose Tools 3 pack, and then open the "contents" or whatever folder is in there, and look for the three or so files that make up the plugin. I think that one of the files might even just be a txt file, not sure. But there sould be at least two files. Drag just those files (all of them) from the zip into the extensions folder. They cannot be stuck inside a folder inside the extensions folder. Since DIM came out, and DAZ 3D went to the zip format, sometimes there is a folder inside the zip, with the files inside that... so jut check to make sure that the files only are inside your extensions folder. You'll know if you're not asked to overwrite anything.

Anyways, if it does ask for an overwrite, and the plugin isn't currently working, go ahead and overwrite anyways... never know.

Fire up Carrara, open a scene and put something (anything) into the scene.

Select whatever you just put in there and look at the Edit menu. There should be a listing within the options called "Fenric", which opens up to other options to choose from. Depending upon what is selected, they might be greyed out, but for now we just want to see if it's there. If the Fenric heading does NOT appear, then the plugin is not installed - something is missing.

If it's not installed after following the above, then I would suggest going back to your DAZ account and downloading it again and then following the above steps, installing to the Carrara extensions folder.

If it does work, then I would go ahead and ignore what I said in my earlier post, and unlock the Bear figure and try messing around with it. What can go wrong if you wreck it, right? It (the Bear) can be installed again!

I'm pretty certain that, if you change the number of polygons in the actual model, that the rigging will no longer work right - perhaps at all - but, who knows? I could be wrong on that. We all have our own ways of tweaking and working with content, so I say go for it. After all, it sounds like you have a plan in mind.

I have never used Pose Tools 3 for unlocking figures. When I got Carrara, I also got Hexagon, and it has a bridge to DAZ Studio. So the only thing I used Hex and/or DS for, for the longest time, was to use DS to send a figure (Hair model, for example) into Hexagon, make a slight, unnoticeable change to the mesh, and send it back to DS (using the bridge) which initiates a Morph creation dialog, where I would add a new listing for storing morphs at the top of the hierarchy. Basically - I made it so that I could add morphs that can be adjusted when the top line of the figure was selected. With that in place, I would open that model in Carrara, save it for Carrara in my Browser, and then get busy making my custom morphs. So then in Carrara's Model room, I had my own "dB" line in the model that would accept new morph creation across the entire mesh, instead of just for the head, one arm at a time, etc.,
    Works great!

So I'm wondering if all of the DS to Hex to DS - save, and open in Carrara situation could be skipped using the Unlock function of this tool. That would be very cool, even though the DS/Hex thing really wasn't even a Pain in the but for me.

Anyways, good luck, and I look forward to hearing more about this whole thing - does the plugin work? If so, will it help you make your model? Wednesday I may be able to test these functions on my Carrara machine... see if my thing works, and also, perhaps, answer some questions that might come up here.
    See ya tomorrow.

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

They should all work on 8.0, 8.1, or 8.5 - no changes needed.

One common problem: you do need the Visual C++ runtime libraries. You should make sure you have the 64-bit versions 2010, 2012, and 2013 versions (there are plugins using each of those, so it's best to get all three). I don't think anything is using 2005 or 2008 anymore, but it doesn't hurt to have them.

And I'm really serious in the Readme: do not add or remove vertices or edges on an unlocked figure - Carrara tends to crash and if even you manage to save the scene there's a good chance it will never open again.

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 2014

Bought it tonight and am trying to install but:

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Pose Helper for Carrara 8 (Mac 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Carrara 8.5, 8 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

I got the same for Dartanbeck's Starry Skies...

I bought the ERC last month and it installed fine with DIM.

Should I install manually, or can I fix the install location in the DIM (prefer the latter)?

Post edited by That Other Persona on
    edited December 2014

Bought it tonight and am trying to install but:

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Pose Helper for Carrara 8 (Mac 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Carrara 8.5, 8 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

I got the same for Dartanbeck's Starry Skies...

I bought the ERC last month and it installed fine with DIM.

Should I install manually, or can I fix the install location in the DIM (prefer the latter)?

In DIM, go the "Settings" window (Gear icon upper right)
    In Settings, go to "Applications" Tab (Right side)

Set up all of the paths to the DAZ 3D Software you own and wish to update, install to, etc.,

Then, when installing, you don't need to set a path within DIM, for it will know where it goes, according to its manifest.

DIM-Applications.jpg
    644 x 901 - 414K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

That did it. Thanks Dartanbeck!

I downloaded the new beta to the main machine and it appeared on the list, but not my regular full 8.5. Another bug?

As I suggested, I bought ERC last month... before the the beta... and it installed correctly.

OK. Off to Dance with the Stars...