resolution

So,i did a big 5400x3600px render at 300dpi resolution for a big print.

Once it was printed, i felt like something was off. So i checked the properties via Windows File Explorer and discovered it was 72d[i.

does Carrara's resolution thing really work?

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited May 2021

Sorry edited. Real world versus imaginary. Imaginary always wins. Good luck!

Post edited by Headwax on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited April 2021

It really doesn't matter how much dpi to set up for your render.

You can easily resize your image in any photo editor. Just be sure that you check of the resample option.

I made a couple of screenshots in Affinity Photo.

Screenshot 04-30-2021 12.02.56.png
    972 x 1193 - 556K
    Screenshot 04-30-2021 13.28.54.png
    934 x 1016 - 576K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

thanks guys, but what i meant is that i did a 2-day long render at 300dpi, but it somehow ended up onlybeing 72dpi. no clue why.

so instead of another 2- day render, i just did Vyusur's suggestion...and accidentally saved over the original closing the program. OOPS!

can't tell if it's still good quality.....

MAJourney said:

thanks guys, but what i meant is that i did a 2-day long render at 300dpi, but it somehow ended up onlybeing 72dpi. no clue why.

so instead of another 2- day render, i just did Vyusur's suggestion...and accidentally saved over the original closing the program. OOPS!

can't tell if it's still good quality.....

If length and height of the picture in pixels remains the same then the quality of your picture remains the same.

i never understood why people render huge and then shrink it. can soseone explain?

MAJourney said:

i never understood why people render huge and then shrink it. can soseone explain?

Because they don't know how to do it in a simple way.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Well, Affinity Photo is a newly developed piece of wonder. It takes really good software like that to pull off enlarging without noticing a loss in quality.

Pixels are pixels, however. DPI = dots per inch, would should also equal Pixels per inch, but I could be mistaken.

To answer your question, people start large and resize down because reducing the size of a pixel doesn't lose quality (creating square edge pixelation) the way enlarging does. It can also have the side effect of making the details appear more crisp because it's essentially doing the opposite of the pixelization effect,

To test this, render something at 100 x 100 pixels (just leave it at 72 DPI) and resize it to 1000 x 1000 and examine the difference. Next render the same thing at 1000 x 1000 and see what it should look like. 

I really don't think that DPI is equal to pixels per inch, but I'm certainly no expert in any of that.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

if you use a noisy render engine, rendering huge, blurring then shrinking can be faster than rendering at the size you wanted.

DAZ iray comes to mind.

edited May 2021

edited May 2021

edited May 2021

edited May 2021

T

edited May 2021

h

lol What happened rthere, Headwax? ;D

this is just weird. i decided to re-render a 7200x10800 at 300dpi, with faster settings, and it's still 72dpi. confuzzling

a simple test scene at 1200xwhatever at 300dpi stays at 300dpi

WEIRD