NEW Animation. Sci Fi Funk Episode 10. "Level 3 Citizen". Created in Carrara.

Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

100% Carrara, rendered via the Octane plug-in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPcodf_cACo

A long campaign comes to a close. However there are many more episodes to come. Next year I shall be animating scenes from the film rather than complete episodes in the hope I can get some funding to continue the project. The next episode will have the second half animated, you barely miss a thing of importance.

Total time to make this episode is hard to say because I've been working on it off and on whilst waiting for renderings etc. However I would say I've been on it full time for a month and probably one to two months effort spread out over 5 years before that.

Hope you like it. The future is bleak but not without hope. :)

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

100% Carrara, rendered via the Octane plug-in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPcodf_cACo

A long campaign comes to a close. However there are many more episodes to come. Next year I shall be animating scenes from the film rather than complete episodes in the hope I can get some funding to continue the project. The next episode will have the second half animated, you barely miss a thing of importance.

Total time to make this episode is hard to say because I've been working on it off and on whilst waiting for renderings etc. However I would say I've been on it full time for a month and probably one to two months effort spread out over 5 years before that.

Hope you like it. The future is bleak but not without hope. :)

Spoiler alert/ DO NOT READ UNTIL YOU HAVE WATCHED

Very very cool! I'm wondering why he is wearing that pair of shorts, I'm sure we will find out soon. Very good work.

On a technical note there are a couple of observations. First, it seems that just like with Bryce animations, there can be a speckle noise caused by the bump mapping. Each frame Carrara calculates the bump slightly differently and that causes noise when the frames are sequenced. Either try to avoid bump mapping altogether, or try normal mapping instead, as if I'm not mistaken normal mapping is more reliable than bump mapping. People more technically well spoken with Carrara would probably offer better advice.

I really like the spectral halo you've fashioned around the fluorescent lights. The shots of the cars in the driveway look very real, I almost thought you had layered in some real footage into the animation. Super Inspiring, so much better than anything I could have done. Bravo and I look forward tot he next installments

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

Many thanks Rashad.

To answer your questions / observations.

1. The Greek skirt. It's "future proof clothing" (See episode 3). Only it clearly isn't and he looks very out of place. :)

2. Speckle noise caused by bump mapping - THANK YOU! That might solve a problem. It's too late here for me to get technical now but in Octane (the renderer I used) vs the 1% scale I was using the "ray epsilon" setting can cause problems, but this might just get around some of those issues. I'll give it a try.

3. Halos. It's built into Octane as a post-processing option called "bloom". It's super versatile allowing many effects. I nearly fell off my chair when I realised I could avoid After Effects 90% of the time now. :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I thought that this might have been a hybrid episode with the some stuff done in the standard renderer and some done in the Octane render, which make my observations about the bumps moot.

For what it's worth, not related to this video, but more to Carrara's standard render, is that the twinklies Rashad refers to, can be minimized (in my experience) by having the AA options set the same for object and shadow accuracy. Preferably the Good AA settings at 1 pixel or .5 pixel accuracy. Terrains are still a crap shoot. ;-)

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

I really enjoyed it. It shows the power of Carrara and some of what it is capable of.

edited December 1969

I just watched it. Very nicely done.

My thoughts about the artifacts that Rashad mentioned are that they could be the settings in the renderer and not so much inaccuracies with how the bump maps are read. I thought that they looked more akin to the fireflys associated with un-biased renderers not running enough samples, although I have no personal experience with them myself.

This is my own personal hang-up, and I'm actually kind of surprised I heard it in a British production, as you guys kind of invented the english language and all, but the word in the sentence, "please take a moment to orientate yourself..." should be, please take a moment to orient yourself...." Like I said, this is my own personal hang-up as my mom was an editor and is currently a free-lance reporter, and my dad was a school teacher (retired). It always is as obvious as a flaming brand when I hear it. I've been known to "correct" the usage loudly at the TV screen when the local-yokel newscasters say it.

Of course it has no bearing on the animation and lighting which was very well executed. That's why I called it hang-up. ;-)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Bravo Steve, Man!
    I clicked the Ad for ya! :) I'm glad I did too, for it was well worth the wait, my friend... keep 'em coming! I hope you get the needed funding!
    Until then, hopefully more kind folk will click those ads for ya! ;)
    Again, Bravo!

edited November 2014

Thank you guys.

atm I don't have the rendering power to get rid of the fireflies and stick to deadlines. I'm also learning the art of Octane rendering.

This wasn't a hybrid to be clear, I thew away the Carrara renders (which took us to just inside the 2nd lobby area - the dark one), and started again to give it a consistent look. The lift (elevator) area and the car park had more light for me to play with so easier to light.

Re Orient vs orientate - I'll have to leave that to the experts. I'm just a humble high school grad.

Still debating whether to do a full episode 11 (but shorten the first section to just the salient parts), or to concentrate on just the 2nd section.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
    edited November 2014

Thank you guys.

atm I don't have the rendering power to get rid of the fireflies and stick to deadlines. I'm also learning the art of Octane rendering.

This wasn't a hybrid to be clear, I thew away the Carrara renders (which took us to just inside the 2nd lobby area - the dark one), and started again to give it a consistent look. The lift (elevator) area and the car park had more light for me to play with so easier to light.

Re Orient vs orientate - I'll have to leave that to the experts. I'm just a humble high school grad.

Still debating whether to do a full episode 11 (but shorten the first section to just the salient parts), or to concentrate on just the 2nd section.

Just a simple high school grad here as well, with an annoying hang-up. ;-)

The animation was very well done, and the fact that you're a guy basically doing this on his own is even more impressive.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Just a simple high school grad here as well, with an annoying hang-up. ;-)

The animation was very well done, and the fact that you're a guy basically doing this on his own is even more impressive.

ha ha. Well we all have them. re: doing this alone. It drives you mad somedays. Only the hope that somehow I'll see my film made spurs me on.

I'd love to experience that feeling of standing in my set in real life again (ep 5,6 and 8 can be stood in in real life - I visited them last year). Later in the film more sets exist in real life so I'll be going there as well.

Aim high, and see how far you can get. :)

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited December 1969

SciFiFunk,
    I remember seeing some earlier episodes , you are getting better at this.. Great job.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Many thanks Rashad.

To answer your questions / observations.

1. The Greek skirt. It's "future proof clothing" (See episode 3). Only it clearly isn't and he looks very out of place. :)

2. Speckle noise caused by bump mapping - THANK YOU! That might solve a problem. It's too late here for me to get technical now but in Octane (the renderer I used) vs the 1% scale I was using the "ray epsilon" setting can cause problems, but this might just get around some of those issues. I'll give it a try.

3. Halos. It's built into Octane as a post-processing option called "bloom". It's super versatile allowing many effects. I nearly fell off my chair when I realised I could avoid After Effects 90% of the time now. :)

I didn't realize it was an Octane Render. My first thought was that they did indeed look like Octane effects but I didn't see Octane mentioned in the original post so I assumed you must have added the effect manually.

I too LOVE working in Octane and I'm really curious to see how the GPU computing war will play out. Will Cuda eventually be replaced by OpenCL, and will that mean that Octane will eventually be rewritten for OpenCL, and will that mean I have to invest big bucks again in yet another video card???? These questions are premature at this point but it seems like a blink and three years has passed and suddenly everything has changed.

I agree with you, not needing to master after effects for the effects Octane provides natively is a huge boost to productivity. I wonder how many high end films are using Octane to render the content.

I Love Octane, I will probably never go back to biased rendering except to get better at it as a technical study. I seriously love Octane. can't say it enough.

Fun fun!!

edited December 1969

mmoir said:
    SciFiFunk,
    I remember seeing some earlier episodes , you are getting better at this.. Great job.

Thank you. I learned in 2007 (from my marketing job) that you have to allow your self to fail in order to release the mind to go deeper into problem solving.

I continue to push boundaries to see how far I can take this. :)

edited December 1969

...I too LOVE working in Octane and I'm really curious to see how the GPU computing war will play out. ...

Fun fun!!

Yes indeed sir!

I don't know. I hope cuda wins because I see a future where the equivalent of breakout boxes become the norm, and therefore upgrading is just slotting in a new (set) of cards. This assumes you can pay for it. lol. I have cash waiting for a new maxwell card, but I read it's not compatible yet.

I am looking at whats needed for episode 11 now. Ideally proper volumetrics would be used but I read they slow rendering times down and this is animation. Also I fudged a spot light a year ago but now I really need a proper one. Any ideas welcome, but no sweat I'm in research mode again. ;-)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Awesome Steve :coolsmile:

Just one problem... where's episode 11? I demand episole 11 NOW dammit! You've had 2 days, that should be plenty enough time!!!!!!

;-P

edited November 2014

Tim_A said:
    Awesome Steve :coolsmile:

Just one problem... where's episode 11? I demand episole 11 NOW dammit! You've had 2 days, that should be plenty enough time!!!!!!

;-P

Ha ha ha. I don't know if you are a fellow animator or not (If you are feel free to post a link to your stuff and I'll sub to your channel), but I pushed so hard for this I couldn't even do any work at all immediately after - brain freeze, energy drop etc.

I swear these obsessions are not good for the health, but perhaps good for the soul given the sense of completion they bring when released.

The good news is having reviewed timescales, finances, and the family's opinion I think we can do the complete episode 11, but just speed up the opening section.

I can't wait to share this one with you. "It's Blade Runner Jim, but not as we know it....."

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I've never tried animation, although I have a huge admiration for those that do. It takes me weeks just to get a still image designed, built, blocked, lit etc. Maybe one day when they've invented cheap cloning technology or 12 day weekends...

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    12 day weekends...

ha ha. I'll sign up to those.

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    12 day weekends...

ha ha. I'll sign up to those.Whoa... me too, me too!!!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

I want them two.....

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

+1!
    Btw.....great work from Sci-Fi Funk as always, nice to see OR4C in action for animation.

edited December 1969

+1!
    Btw.....great work from Sci-Fi Funk as always, nice to see OR4C in action for animation.

Thank you. I search for Octane animation examples on a regular basis, but you either get Professional adverts or independents making a really tiny animation. This will change as the technology speeds up and becomes more accessible.

edited December 1969

+1!
    Ditto... totally!
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    I've never tried animation, although I have a huge admiration for those that do. It takes me weeks just to get a still image designed, built, blocked, lit etc. Maybe one day when they've invented cheap cloning technology or 12 day weekends...

The problem with twelve day weekends is that Honey-Do lists would take more time than a full-time job and a part-time job combined! ;-)