Cararra Questions

ZeuxidamusZeuxidamus Posts: 87
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I am thinking about getting carrara for modeling and I am not sure and need a few questions answered. I am new to cgi and I don't want to be playing catchup so I am working with only gen 2,does cararra support these fully?

I am also worried that it is so cheap and doesn't seem to be advertised or promoted in any way as of recently, I already have hexgon which I cant use on my win8 machine and I don't want to waste the time and money on learning another dead program.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• msolomonmsolomon Posts: 209
    edited December 1969

I am thinking about getting carrara for modeling and I am not sure and need a few questions answered. I am new to cgi and I don't want to be playing catchup so I am working with only gen 2,does cararra support these fully?

I am also worried that it is so cheap and doesn't seem to be advertised or promoted in any way as of recently, I already have hexgon which I cant use on my win8 machine and I don't want to waste the time and money on learning another dead program.

Any thoughts?

Welcome zeuxidamus1, I use Carrara as my sole modeler. I was using Hex for a while but sense I use Carrara for everything (shading, rigging, animation ect) I tend to stay in Carrara. Besides, Carrara has alot of the Hexagon tools. Carrara is a great modeler. It is easy to learn and has a tool set that gives me tons of flexibility. I use it to make a living as a 3D animator so I can't afford to waste time depending on a "dead program:)". Carrara has a very approachable learning curve so if you truly want to learn and put in the time, you want be disappointed.
    I am primarily hired to model and animate characters, environments and objects.

My Demo
    http://youtu.be/pOELp1daq1I

Book Trailer
    http://youtu.be/-goQr5ZQDe4

Rid-All_Studio_still2000.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 3M
    Yago_Studio_Still-2000.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Thea_Studio_Still-2000.jpg
    1681 x 2000 - 1M
    8.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 492K
    Theo_Studio_Still-2000.jpg
    1861 x 2000 - 1M
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

In its current state (being updated as we speak) Genesis 2 is not fully compatible, in that some of the features are not yet working perfectly. However, Modeling new things for Genesis 2 is quite nice in Carrara 8.5
    Even though it's not "Fully" supported yet, it is still very useable and workable, like animating, posing, rendering, etc., but like the HD morphs will not be seen yet, and some of the auto-fit from other models may take a bit of tweaking.

The beauty about Carrara, however, is everything else! G2 still works enough to use it. And use it well. For some more specific Genesis 2 questions, try asking Ringo Monfort. He's our Genesis shader guru, and has a lot of experience with just about all things Carrara. I think PhilW might have a bit of G2 experience as well.
    Ask Ringo right in that thread... he'll answer ;)

• ZeuxidamusZeuxidamus Posts: 87
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your input, I found it to be helpful. I am leaning towards getting it now.

If I do get it what add-ons would you consider a necessity? And why?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

There are many fine and inexpensive plugins available for Carrara that extend its capabilities quite a lot. What you need kind of depends on where you envision yourself going. Here's a link to the Carrara Cafe which has a detailed list of plugins and tutorials.

Plugins:
    http://carraracafe.com/category/plugins/

Tutorials:
    http://carraracafe.com/category/tutorials/

I don't really use plugins except for Sparrowhawke's Jiggle Deformer and a couple from Fenric to allow the use of the Ivy Generator and some hidden Primitive shapes in Carrara. Part of the reason is budgetary, due to the financial melt-down and loss of nice paying job, and part of it is due to not really feeling limited in Carrara yet.

That being said, there are a few that I would like to get at some point. I usually forget about them until someone posts an image or video using one of them. ;-)