Medieval Shop interior

hey, hope this is the right place to ask, does anyone know of a medieval/fantasty shop interior? i'm looking for something like a clothing shop but medieval themed

Comments

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,898
    edited May 2021

Check out The Curio Shoppe by Sveva and LukeA, on Renderosity!

ETA: Oops, I somehow missed the part where it´s supposed to be a clothing shop! blush

Post edited by Hylas on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375

you could look at roguey/strangefate's stuff on the Daz store.

it is the best quality medieval/fantasy internals of probably anything in any marketplace, daz or otherwise.

you could probably adapt them.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

I always wondered how a clothing shop in medieval times operated. 'excuse me, maam, do you have this chainmail peice in a size xtra small and in gold?" or "yes, I am looking for a tunic for that special someone, it has to be daring, but not show too much" LOL

on a serious note, did they have clothing stores, or did you just pick out the fabric and they made it for you?

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,701
    edited May 2021

FSMCDesigns said:

I always wondered how a clothing shop in medieval times operated. 'excuse me, maam, do you have this chainmail peice in a size xtra small and in gold?" or "yes, I am looking for a tunic for that special someone, it has to be daring, but not show too much" LOL

on a serious note, did they have clothing stores, or did you just pick out the fabric and they made it for you?

If you were rich you hired a tailor who came and measured you and showed you cloth samples, then they went away and made the clothes and delivered them to you when completed. If you weren't rich, you made do with hand me downs from older family members. Or you kept sheep or goats and made your own fabric. Clothing stores weren't really a thing in medieval times everything pretty much was a tailored item. Especially armor.

Editing to add: After consulting my history major sister, there were resellers of clothing, as in the rich would pass their old things down to servants or middle class people who could then keep or sell on the items to the next lower class, but there was no building that this was done in. An open air stall, a cart or something like that, that travelled around would be the closest thing to a modern day "clothing store".

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

I was thinking too that a market stall would be the closest to a clothing shop. Basically you picked fabrics and a tailor went to work. I was in Turkey and they still have shops like that there, got a suit done there. I believe there is one in Paris near the Montmartre as well.

• Suddenly I find myself picturing something like a Tupperware party... except with secondhand clothes instead of plastic, sealable bowls.  :D :D

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
    edited May 2021

Editing to add: After consulting my history major sister, there were resellers of clothing, as in the rich would pass their old things down to servants or middle class people who could then keep or sell on the items to the next lower class, but there was no building that this was done in. An open air stall, a cart or something like that, that travelled around would be the closest thing to a modern day "clothing store".

THIS... so much, this!

And not just Medeival times... the used clothing market has always been an important part of commerece through the ages.  I remember seeing an 18th Century Wood Cut of what I remember to be a used clothing seller.
    Medival German Tailor

As an aside note, there are some really neat historical documents that can help you out.  The Germans, always industrious, have a couple of great sources of period texts.  Basically, there are plates/prints of 15th Century "Jobs", that show people doing "work" in the 1400s.  You can google Hausbücher der Nürnberger Zwölfbrüderstiftungen and get some really interesting ideas about what occupations were like in the Middle ages.  Not just the clothing the subjects are wearing, but how their shop/stall/cart might be set up and what tools they used and how they used them.

Here is a dude selling spices 

Similarly, you can Google "Cries Of London" and get prints of the various occupations as well... there were many different iterations of "Cries o L" the earliest being 17th Century. 
    Again, don't just focus on the subject of the print... they often give great clues as to what else was going on at the time.  As with the Spice Seller above, his "stand" is just a barrel cut in half with a board over it to rest his items.... which are contained in sacks.  Also, the barrel isn't the iron bound type we know today, but the staves are either held together with wood from willow or possible rope bound (I vote willow though).

Lastly, the Dutch were into the jobs/Occupations as well... here is a link to mostly 1690 era Dutch Jobs... and I am sure it can be used to inspire "earlier" occupations as well

Post edited by Chumly on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited May 2021

In the game Kingdom Come : Deliverance, which is fairly historically accurate, you go directly to each tradesman. Even if you are not into games, just walking / galloping around is a wonderful experience of medieval times.

Post edited by Paintbox on