Move Content Libraries to an external drive (OSX)

crocodiliancrocodilian Posts: 82
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi, I wonder if anyone has done this on OSX.

I've got a very full content directory, and a relatively small primary drive (its a Macbook, with an SSD, not so massive).

I'd like to move the content directories to an external drive (I've got Seagate's excellent and aptly named "Fast" 4TB USB 3 drive

How do I go about doing this without screwing up everything?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,303
    edited December 1969

Oh, I have... I first copied my very large set of runtimes and content libraries to the new hard drive. Next I opened Daz Studio and the Content Manager in the preferences and remapped the Daz Studio and Poser content to the new drive. Next, I used the Content Manager Maintenance Utility to reimport metadata so that smart content would work. I pointed DIM to the drive so that it would install to the proper location. I keep the downloads on my main drive so that I can manually back them up to some drives that use only for that and then delete them though I should set up an Automator action to do it. Finally, I rendered a few times to make sure I was happy with the move and deleted the original runtimes and content directories freeing up 2/3 of my iMac hard drive.

• crocodiliancrocodilian Posts: 82
    edited December 1969

thanks Nemesis, that's exactly what I'm trying to do.

The one part I don't quite get: "I keep the downloads on my main drive so that I can manually back them up to some drives that use only for that and then delete them though I should set up an Automator action to do it."

Are you referring here to the Downloads folder that sits under the Install Manager, where new content comes int?

So you move the existing content to the external drive, but new content continues to arrive and get installed on the primary drive?

Shared.png
    487 x 186 - 17K
    edited December 1969

Yep, that is what I do since those downloads only live on my primary drive for a brief amount of time... I have saved a copy of all my downloads from my early poser days. If I ever find the time, I should set up an automator action to check every three days for the downloads that end with .zip, copy those to a designated storage drive and delete the zip. I wouldn't try to change the place where Dim downloads the file; I would change the place where DIM installs the file i.e... your new drive. Your primary drive is the appropriate place for where applications do their magic while outbound dives are appropriate for media and content.

• crocodiliancrocodilian Posts: 82
    edited December 1969

Update: after a few dismaying false starts, it works perfectly.

I am not quite sure why, but at first-- no smart content. The files were visible in Content Manager, but smart content was completely empty. After a lot of fruitless effort, I deleted and reinstalled Daz Studio, and reimported metadata.

And, to my surprise and happiness, it worked perfectly. in fact, the Smart Content now has a lot of stuff that I hadn't seen before.

So good on you, Nemesis, many thanks!

edited December 1969

You are more than welcome,happy rendering!