48 Hour Film Project - Free 20 Year Retrospective On YouTube 6May

I have mentioned the 48 Hour Film contest which takes place most weekends in cities worldwide.  The contest is to make a four to seven minute video in two days, given a random genre from a list of a couple of dozen (comedy, western, scifi, etc.), plus a required character (name and occupation), prop and line of dialogue.  There are also online contests with similar rules for animation and other versions.  The vast majority of entries are live action, but a few animations show up in some cities.  This is the 20th anniversay of the contest, so ... 

Watch Top Films

48HFP Retrospective

We'll be showing films dating all the way back to the very first 48HFP in 2001.  Check out the free screening to see how things have changed over the years. Join us Thursday, May 6 at 9 pm Eastern by going to our YouTube channel.  It will also stream on the 48HFP Facebook page.

Add it to your calendar!

Livestream Link: https://www.youtube.com/c/48HFPCENTRAL/

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

I enjoyed the 70 minute show, a number of worldwide grand prize winners that are pretty good.  It was funny that we had just watched Martin Freeman in an episode of "Sherlock", and he stars in one of the five minute 48HFP videos.  You can still watch the whole thing here:

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

I binge watched that Sherlock series. Very good show!

edited May 2021

Dartanbeck said:

I binge watched that Sherlock series. Very good show!

Agreed.  I think a big factor in its success is the pairing of Benedict Cumberpartch (Holmes) and Martin Freeman (Watson), absolutely opposite personalities.  Another example is the great first season of the TV series "Fargo", with Billy Bob Thornton playing the opposite of Freeman's character.  A final example is the Oscar nominated short "The Voorman Problem" with Tom Hollander the opposite (God!).  You can see a clip here:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/01/31/martin-freeman-oscar-shorts/5081489/

Post edited by Steve K on

Benedict and Martin both poured everything into Sherlock and Watson, respectively. Such a joy to watch. 

Benedict played a perfect Holmes as really quite a dick, although rightfully justified due to his genius. He (Holmes) wasn't 'trying' to be a dick, he just came off that way to those who didn't have a clue as to what he was really doing/thinking.

Martin played the perfect Watson with his witty charm and ability to perfectly play off of Cumberbach's performance - they played off each other so well!

Of course, it didn't hurt that the series was so well written!

Season 1 clips

Of course, it didn't hurt that the series was so well written!

Indeed.  My wife & I recently watched a few episodes of the Australian drama series "Wentworth".  (8.6 at IMDB), but were not drawn in by the relentless brutality, with little or no humor.  "Sherlock" OTOH, has humor in most scenes.  E.g. at one point, both Sherlock and Watson's girlfriend make fun of his mustache, althought the girlfriend sort of denies it.  Later, he is shaving it off, and she says its because Sherlock doesn't like it.  "I Don't Shave For Sherlock Holmes", Watson proclaims.  She says he should put that on a T-Shirt.  I may get a T-Shirt like that.

LOL! Me too!