can i create feathers with the hair tool.

2»

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited March 2023

Ryuu@AMcCF said:

Okay, I have to appologize. Trying to figure out how to turn Hair->Feathers in Carrera is WAY beyond my meager skill-levels, so that effort is being moved to a back burner somewhere.

OTOH, I WAS able to figure out UltrascatterPro well enough to get this fellow's body feathers to lay down close to his skin in DAZ--at least I used Carrera to create the template for the feather....cheeky

While this is just a static pose, I have some ideas about how to tie instances to the body sections for posing. A few more days to work out the details....

Looking good!  If you were hell bent on using Carrara, you could apply surface replicators.  No reason to.  Howie's ultrascatter is a plugin for Daz Studio to fill the role of Carrara's surface replicator.  Howie has added more detail control for the UltraScatter plugin for Studio, so it makes sense to use Daz Studio if convenient.  In Carrara, the alignment of replicated objects can be manipulated by adjusting the hot point of the replicated object.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,861

and figures can be posed with the surface replicator following yes

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 621
    edited March 2023

Diomede said:

Ryuu@AMcCF said:

...too much crap here to leave posted...

Looking good!  If you were hell bent on using Carrara, you could apply surface replicators.  No reason to.  Howie's ultrascatter is a plugin for Daz Studio to fill the role of Carrara's surface replicator.  Howie has added more detail control for the UltraScatter plugin for Studio, so it makes sense to use Daz Studio if convenient.  In Carrara, the alignment of replicated objects can be manipulated by adjusting the hot point of the replicated object.

Thanks! I definetly need to get back into Carrera and lean these tricks.

In DAZ, I tried all the morphs I have trying to get him to match T'Char's features from TAS:"Jihad" episode, but nothing I have can quite replicate that conical peak on his head (and the more I look, the stronger I feel those 2 spikes to either side of that feature might be his ears! LOL!!

I'm close on the overall head shape, but I think I'll have to settle with attaching a prosthetic cone to his skull, as well as an eyebrow ridge (& feather them, too) and a set of small tusks to his lower beak. Also, I hope I can find SOMETHING to make his arms and legs skinnier!

WendyLuvsCatz said:

and figures can be posed with the surface replicator following yes

Shortly before you posted that, I found out my initial idea of parenting the instances to body part segments (as if they should act like a Wearable Preset simular to those used for Dakotaraptor and other feathered dinos) wasn't going to work. But I did soon discover that by refreshing the feather groups after posing the parent figure fixed the issue.

In the meantime, this is what I got from yesterday:

So, I upped the feather count, used UltraScatterPro to create instances for each body part segment. Other than some minor paramter tweaks needed for those around the Upper Chest, both Collars, & both Necks, everything else looks great!

(nothing noteworth about the Hotel Indoor Pool's setting--I just wanted to change up the scenery a little--seeing desert settings all the time can get boring after awhile)

Unfortunately, even minor changes from the default pose results in numerous tears in the envelope.

And major changes from extreme poses just shreds the hell out of it!

As you told me, I should have posed first, and then apply the UltraScatterPro to make the instances fit the posed figure.

OTOH, since the instances already existed in the character's saved file, fortunately all that was needed to fix it is call up each of the instances into UltraScatter's editing mode, one by one, then do a refresh on them--rather than have to create them all from scratch.

Now, I just have to figure out how the hell Herschel Hoffmeyer and others did those feathered wearables!!

At least until I finally do learn their methods, I now have this UltraScatter workaround to see me through! laugh

Thanks again, Wendy, and everyone else who commented! This thread has been a tremedous help!

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,861
    edited March 2023

Now, I just have to figure out how the hell Herschel Hoffmeyer and others did those feathered wearables!!

At least until I finally do learn their methods, I now have this UltraScatter workaround to see me through! laugh

Thanks again, Wendy, and everyone else who commented! This thread has been a tremedous help!

possibly using Zbrush Fibermesh with fat flat fibers with Fibermesh UV mapping to take a feather diffuse and opacity map
    the same export can have zero length keeping vertex count and be more easily fit with the transfer utility

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on