4.7 render slower?

MrReclusiveMrReclusive Posts: 27
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

so i installed 4.7 today, had some content to install so went a head and updated daz studio as well.
im in the middle of a series of images, everything is staying the same pretty much but poses changes and lights move around a little.

so im running another render as i type this after.
my average render time before was about 20 to 30 minutes.
currently its been rendering for 19 minutes and its only at 15%

what happened?
i checked my render settings (although got a little lost trying to find them) they are all the way they have been set.
is their something that was added in 4.7 that i should check. because this is a bit ridiculous.

also, kinda related and im still new to daz
the series im working on has multiple characters, one of the characters is a male, and unfortunately has high resolution skin.
so rendering spends allot more time on him then the female characters because i have them with a lower resolution skin.
is their a setting somewhere in daz that I can use to "lower" the resolution of his skin?

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

1) Post a screen cap of your 3Delight settings

2) I don't know of a Studio way to lower res but you could
    make a copy of your original textures,

then size them down in Photoshop or Gimp or something similar,

then save lower res versions in another folder.

apply those low-res textures to the model.

• MrReclusiveMrReclusive Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Heres a picture of my current settings

3delight_settings.jpg
    1008 x 688 - 134K
  • MrReclusiveMrReclusive Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Also here is an image from the series what im rendering.
    not doing uber. have 1 distant light, 1 point, 3 spots.

01.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 347K
    edited December 1969

you could try turning your pixel samples down to 4 or 2 and see if it makes a difference in the final output over render speed. DS4.7 is using a newer version of 3Delight since version 4.6 it could simply be slower.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,232
    edited December 2014

I agree with StratDragon, turn your pixel samples down to 4. A bigger savings will probably come from dropping Ray Trace Depth to 2 (or even try 1) if you are not using ray traced reflections. Are you using HD morphs? They take longer to render. I haven't noticed 4.7 being any slower than 4.6.

Edited to add: That's a nice image, by the way!

Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

3Delight setup can be something of an art to itself. Cranking those numbers up don't necessarily make a better render unless your doing things specifically to take advantage of those options. Even some highly complex scenes might never need those values and the only thing it's going to do is slow down the overall time it takes to render. As Barbult pointed out lower the RayTrace, this is the number of times light bounces off a surface (at least I think it is.) and sometimes you can get excellent results with lower numbers and cut your render times down considerably.
    I think Daz should by default drop those down but I also think they're trying to err on the side of caution so you will get a high quality render when you choose it without experimenting to what your scene really needs to get an optimized render.

• Birdie2Birdie2 Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Actually I also have the feeling something is different (slower) in 4.7.

I was updating from 4.5 a few days ago and now render the first movie sequences.

Even though I think all 3dlight settings are the same, I noticed a longer rendering time.
    Then I noticed also the PCs fans were running different (not as loud as usual when the machine was rendering).

So a look into task manager showed me that different from 4.5 when all threads were on 90-100% during all the rendering time, I now have the picture below.

Any ideas how this can be? is there a magic switch to have DAZ 4.7 also use the full power of the CPU?

Unbenannt.JPG
    692 x 612 - 114K
    edited December 1969

Birdie2 said:
    Actually I also have the feeling something is different (slower) in 4.7.

I was updating from 4.5 a few days ago and now render the first movie sequences.

Even though I think all 3dlight settings are the same, I noticed a longer rendering time.
    Then I noticed also the PCs fans were running different (not as loud as usual when the machine was rendering).

So a look into task manager showed me that different from 4.5 when all threads were on 90-100% during all the rendering time, I now have the picture below.

Any ideas how this can be? is there a magic switch to have DAZ 4.7 also use the full power of the CPU?

it should be automatically set to run a cores at full power, the only thing I could say should do this is if your render has a few cores struggling with one portion of a scene while the other cores are rendering a segment of the image that is not as demanding on calculations. Have you installed any 3rd party utility recently?

• Birdie2Birdie2 Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

No, nothing else but the update from 4.5 to 4.7

Did some renders a day before the update with the same files (just different camera views) and in 4.5 it still used the CPU up to 100% for almost the whole render time.

• FirebrandFirebrand Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

mike said:
    Heres a picture of my current settings

Are you willing to change your "Shading Rate" to something higher than 0.5..? You currently have 0.5, which takes longer, but is pretty similar quality to 1. You can try setting it to 5 or 10 or 20 and see if you get any time savings as well.