Problem with reflections:

areg5areg5 Posts: 617
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've been using reflective surfaces for a while but I just ran into a problem that stumps me. I set the background to sky blue. The reflection in the mirror is black. Everything else reflects just fine. I am using the latest version of Daz. Attached are my reflective surface settings:

mirror3.jpg
205 x 281 - 15K
mirror2.jpg
207 x 534 - 27K
mirror1.jpg
197 x 536 - 25K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,301
    edited December 1969

Background colours or pictures won't reflect, you need geometry.

• areg5areg5 Posts: 617
    edited December 1969

Background colours or pictures won't reflect, you need geometry.

Dammit. So I guess I have to plug in a background. Thanks!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Don't forget to check that whatever object you use for the sky colour is in the right place to show up in a reflection in the mirror. It isn't as easy as it sounds, and since reflections don't show until you render, you will sometimes need to do a lot of fiddling and tweaking before it looks right.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    ...and reflections don't anti-alias in 3Delight, so they look all stairsteppy.

Not relevant to the immediate problem, but a problem with reflections nonetheless. :-/

-- Morgan

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

As a side note, it's usually best for mirrors to have a diffuse value of zero percent or black. Otherwise the diffuse material can make the reflections a lot less visible.

edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    ...and reflections don't anti-alias in 3Delight, so they look all stairsteppy.

Not relevant to the immediate problem, but a problem with reflections nonetheless. :-/

-- Morgan

This reflection looks to have AA to me. Note that reflections are more sensitive to shading rate than directly rendered objects.

AAinreflection.jpg
    753 x 720 - 22K
    AAinreflectiontest.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 169K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

To eliminate jagged reflections in DAZ Studio, in the Render settings, change the Shading Rate ( 0.1 works for me, but feel free to experiment with different values).

Whatever the default setting was will give you the jaggies. Also note this will make renders slower.

edited December 1969

The image above used a Shading rate of 0.5.