Buy Now, Pay Later

Comments

• mr clammr clam Posts: 707

I'll look it up, but I'm pretty sure you guys are wrong. I think it's like how Kansas City isn't really in Kansas and Washington D.C. is over 3000 miles away from the actual Washington.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    edited May 2021
    Idk. But Florida is really also called the Sunshine state, and Missouri is actually also called the Show Me State.
    Post edited by Sera on
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

What madness have I unleashed?

also pretty much every state has a nickname, but they're mostly boring

New Jersey's nickname is "The Garden State" which I will maintain is an obvious lie

State mottoes are where its at. The best, obviously, is Michigan's

If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,651

mr clam said:

I'll look it up, but I'm pretty sure you guys are wrong. I think it's like how Kansas City isn't really in Kansas and Washington D.C. is over 3000 miles away from the actual Washington.

All right well if we're really gonna go down this road let me truly blow your mind. Arkansas is pronounced Ar-Can-Saw. surprise

All right, I looked into it and states really do have nicknames, but they make no sense and they're not really names. You would think "Bubba" would be the perfect nickname for Alabama but it's not that or even "Billybob". It's not what I would consider a "name" at all. And look at Texas. Anyone would think that Texas' nickname would be "Tex", but it is really "The Lone Star State". How is that a nickname?! It takes way longer to say than the official name! The US makes very little sense to me sometimes.

PS: I already knew that about Arkansas because of that song by the Millionaires, "Arkansas Jane" which is an all time classic.

edited May 2021
    mr clam said:

The US makes very little sense to me sometimes.

Agreed.

Post edited by Sera on
  • Daz_JessicaDaz_Jessica Posts: 155

DustRider said:

Hmm,  they do know that New Mexico is a US state don't they? You would be amazed at how many times we have had online orders declined because "we only deliver to the US'. Not that I would probably use this offer, but the general ignorance of many companies about New Mexico being a state in the US, and not a part of Mexico is pretty incredible.  New Mexico became a part of the US in 1848, and a state in 1912, so everyone should know by now surprise. I've eeven been asked if I needed a passport to get into the US when going to conferences in other states.

Sorry for the rant, hopefully the exclusion of New Mexico from this is due to state laws, and not ignorance. (Not really upset either, just venting on crazy misconceptions) 

First, that's hilarious and sad, at the same time.  And correct, New Mexico is not allowed due to state laws. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589

mr clam said:

.....actualy there is a Kansas City Kansas,  

certaintree38 said:

Idk. But Florida is really also called the Sunshine state, and Missouri is actually also called the Show Me State.

...must be bunch of sceptics there in MO. 

...Wisconsin's official nickname is The Dairy State, but we just referred to it as "Scansin".

The largest city there is M'wakee which has a suburb on the west side named 'Tosa.  I went to college up north in Point, eh.

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

mr clam said:

So... How did the looking up go, then?

Did you find out what is the largest city of the state of New York called?smiley

I found out we were all wrong, at least when it comes to Manhattan. It's apparently in Kansas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan,_Kansas

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Gordig said:

DustRider said:

Hmm,  they do know that New Mexico is a US state don't they? You would be amazed at how many times we have had online orders declined because "we only deliver to the US'. Not that I would probably use this offer, but the general ignorance of many companies about New Mexico being a state in the US, and not a part of Mexico is pretty incredible.  New Mexico became a part of the US in 1848, and a state in 1912, so everyone should know by now surprise. I've eeven been asked if I needed a passport to get into the US when going to conferences in other states.

Sorry for the rant, hopefully the exclusion of New Mexico from this is due to state laws, and not ignorance. (Not really upset either, just venting on crazy misconceptions) 

I don't think there's any confusion about West Virginia's statehood.

I don't know about that. You would not believe how many people I've talked to over the years who didn't realize West Virginia was a separate state from Virginia. I swear if I hear one more person say Western Virginia when referring to WV, I might go on a rant myself. It's been a separate state since 1863. One would think most people would have learned that when studying the Civil War, but no, some people apparently missed that lesson!

..wow, this thread has really gone way off the tracks. 

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579

Don't worry, you can go off the tracks now and pay for it later.

...will that also cover filling in the ruts carved in the ground, streets, sidewalks, etc. by the flanged wheels? 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,720
    Apparently I can't use Affirm but I don't know why.
  • MKDAWUSSMKDAWUSS Posts: 91

Can I pay it back at a later time called "15 minutes after never?" laughcheeky

I don't know if I'll be using such a program (IMO debts are best avoided), but people could find it helpful for when there's that deep deep discount (70-85%) that expires just before payday.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

kyoto kid said:

..wow, this thread has really gone way off the tracks. 

No, no it hasn't.  It's threads like these where people reveal .. ahem, a lot about themselves.  And I don't mean just being wrong.  It's okay to be wrong.  But man, how some folks just right up and OWN it, being wrong that is.  So it's been very educational.  Not from a geography point of view, because I know my geography.  And I know how to look things up, and I actually DO look things up if somebody says I'm wrong.  I mean, why not?  Always check your own premise before you claim you're being gaslit.  I have to constantly remind myself to stop being so damned full of myself.

Back when dinosaurs were young, when we had "real school" that is, we had to know the names and spellings of all the States in the US, the proper name and spelling of their capital city, their nickname, and where they appear on a map.  We also learned all of the major cities in the world, how to spell them, and how to find them on a map.  I guess that's not required these days.  Hint:  there are no US states in Mexico, Venesuela, Cuba, or Canada.  But there ARE cities in US Territories, which would be US Cities.  And the people of those Territories would be US Citizens. 

Stay in school, kids.  Learn how to read an atlas.  Oh, and I highly recommend that everybody actually OWN an atlas.  A real one.  And use it from time to time.  Have the curiosity of a child.  Look things up!  Learn something every day about the world around you, especially if you're thinking about maybe leaving your parents' house some day and finding your life's path in the actual world.  If you want that job in Kansas City, it might benefit you to know WHICH Kansas City you need to go to for that interview, right?  This is not gaslighting, it's just good advice. 

And don't trust Siri for everything; I swear she'll guide you right off the end of a pier or down a mine shaft the first chance she gets.  There is no bridge from Indiana to Hawaii.  Learn it, live it, love it, and when Siri puts you on the rainbow road to Hawaii or Australia, step on the brakes.  Don't go any farther, lest we never hear from you again after your mysterious disappearance from the middle of nowhere!

But yeah, this thread has still been very educational.  A bit like those You Tube videos where the California cops are telling Canadian residents that they have 30 days to file their change of address with the State of California. 

"But I'm only here on vacation.  After my vacation, I'm going back to Canada." 

"You still have 30 days to get this done, sir."

Yes, THAT was a cop!  I long for the days when we sent our young to real schools.  frown

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

There may be no USA states in Mexico but there is a Mexico in the USA state of Maine.

I wouldn't be too hard on people. There's already a thread where people are discussing how the education system has failed many. Not to mention, this person might not be from the US. Since 70% of what people say here is tongue in cheek, I also wouldn't take anything about gaslighting too seriously. 

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

jestmart said:

There may be no USA states in Mexico but there is a Mexico in the USA state of Maine.

But at least I know that Mexico, Maine USA is neither a country, nor a State.

certaintree38 said:

I wouldn't be too hard on people. There's already a thread where people are discussing how the education system has failed many.

You're right, it has failed many, but it is dismaying that there's no urgency to fixing it. 

Not to mention, this person might not be from the US. Since 70% of what people say here is tongue in cheek, I also wouldn't take anything about gaslighting too seriously.

If your percentage is accurate (and it might be, I don't know), then that still leaves a 30% chance that it wasn't tongue in cheek.  Put another way, that's all day Monday and half of Tuesday in a 5-day workweek.  Or it's like a baseball player with a .300 batting average.  There's still a big chance that it was a serious comment.

If your dentist drilled, filled, crowned, or outright removed the wrong tooth by accident 3 times out of every 10 patients, would that be okay with you?  surprise  wink

Idk. I just feel like when you make it hard on people when they are wrong, they will be less likely to admit it or ask questions in the future. If there is malice or thuggishness involved, by all means, give them a hard time. If people get hurt, make it clear that's unacceptable. But this wasn't any of those things. A spoonful of sugar and all that.
    edited May 2021

If Subtropic Pixel is talking about me, well, they should know I was just pulling legs. I lived within 10 miles of Times Square for decades and spent another two years in Upstate NY. I know my Spiedie from my Beef on Weck from my Gray's Papaya. I'm pretty good at Sporcle geography quizzes, too. 

Post edited by mr clam on
    edited June 2021

...I think it was in response to my comment which was just an observation that the thread (a "sticky no less") had strayed more than a bit off from the original topic of informing people of a new policy being adopted.

Ah well. for a moment I thought it had been "re-railed". 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Most of it was me being lectured by someone who somehow mised the sarcasm. I guess "real schools" aren't as comprehensive as some may think. 

• NexySaloonNexySaloon Posts: 70

mr clam said:

States have nicknames? That's ridiculous! What's Alabama's nickname? Bubba?

Aladamnbama

Daz's advertisements for Affirm claim there will be no interest, but this is incorrect. Affirm DOES charge interest.  Just look at this page from Affirm's website:

https://www.affirm.com/business/blog/understanding-apr

"Transparency: Affirm shows consumers up front—before even accepting the loan—what the total purchase cost will be, including the total interest amount." 

Daz, please fix your advertisements. 

• Affirm? Big OOOF. 

Y'all should've gone with Klarna or AfterPay.