Moved driver - Genesis stopped working

HeraHera Posts: 1,955
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hello!

I've just moved all my daz content from the drive D to a newly aquired external harddrive H. And the goal is to merge the content from C there eventually, but I ran into problem. After the move the Genesis does not load anymore. I just get those strange messages in the log

WARNING: libpng warning: Incomplete compressed datastream in iCCP chunk
WARNING: libpng warning: Profile size field missing from iCCP chunk
Could not resolve URI: "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#Genesis"
WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(2183): Could not find node definition.
WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(781): Could not create node for instance.
WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(634): Failed to create node!
Error reading file, see log for more details.

Genesis dsf which is being complained about is located here:
H:\LINDA\DAZ other\studio\My Library\People\Genesis\Genesis.dsf

The DAZ directory content list look like attached image

What has gone wrong and how do I get around it, do I need to re-install Genesis?
(I haven't removed the C paths and the c content yet, it's still there and there is a Genesis as well, but I cannot use G from there either)

Untitled-2.jpg
453 x 341 - 32K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,427
    edited December 1969

One part of the problem may well be that you have nested content directories - folders selected which are in other folders selected and so on. It looks a mess, but without knowing where the actual content is it's hard to advise. Try removing everything on H: except H:\LINDA\DAZ other\studio\My Library\ from the Directory Manager and see if Genesis, at least, will load.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

Gave it a try, and it didn't work. Now, how do I re-install the Genesis character without having to install the complete DAZ 4? I want to try that, to make sure I didn't lose anything when I did the transfer.

Using daz pro 4.0.3 by the way.

edited December 1969

There isn't a separate installer for Genesis. What you could do is go through your content folders looking for folders called Data. When you find one, copy it to H:\LINDA\DAZ other\studio\My Library\ so that it merges with the existing Data folder, but don't let it replace files 9unless you have the patience to go through making sure you always keep the newer files). The try loading again.

edited July 2012

Problem is I have them all under H:\LINDA\DAZ other\data2\data. If I start fiddling with that directory I won't be able to open my older documents.

And that directory is HUGE! Several gigs!! So exactly what files am I looking for? And where should I put them?

Post edited by Hera on
    edited December 1969

Well, since H:\LINDA\DAZ other\data2\ isn't a subfolder of the My Library folder it should be safe to hook it up as a DAZ Studio content directory - though it doesn't matter where the data folder is, as long as it's in the root of a DS content directory (not in a subfolder).

edited December 1969

I'm afraid you lost me there. You mean I can move the complete data directory including the ditto folder to beneath My Library and that might help? But then how about my old pictures which keeps looking for the old position of the data directory? Then I wouldn't be able to open then, right?

edited December 1969

All the old scenes should save is \data\some sequence of folders. Where that data folder is doesn't matter, as long as you tell DAZ Studio to look there by making the folder a DAZ Studio content directory.

edited August 2012

I tried moving data here
    H:\LINDA\DAZ other\studio\My Library\data2\data

Genesis is here
    H:\LINDA\DAZ other\studio\My Library\People\Genesis

It doesn't work, I'm still getting the same error messages, and I'm beginning to fear I lost some files in the transfer.
    Would it be possible to find out what files it is complaining about when it goes
    WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp
    and complans about not finding nodes

I've tried to look for dzassetdaz.cpp but windows cannot find it

Post edited by Hera on
    edited December 1969

The data folder has to be in the root of the content directory - you have it in a subfolder, \data2.

edited December 1969

The data folder has to be in the root of the content directory - you have it in a subfolder, \data2.

So what directory is really the root directory in this case?

Is is H:\LINDA\DAZ other\ where I originally had it?

or H:\LINDA\DAZ other\studio\

or H:\LINDA\DAZ other\studio\My Library\

And what files are missing? And are there any way to retrieve them?

edited December 1969

The root is the folder you have selected as a content directory. The log file should tell you which files are missing, but you need to have the data folder in the right place before it's worth checking that.

edited December 1969

The root is the folder you have selected as a content directory. .

What does that mean exactly?

edited December 1969

Would it help to re-install the complete DAZ 4 pro?

edited December 1969

No, since this is a question of the content setup not of anything in DS itself. Si the actual \data folder in the folder you have listed in the Content Directory Manager? That's what is meant by a root folder - putting it in a data2 folder and putting the data2 folder in the folder selected in the Content Directory Manager is putting it in a sub folder.

edited December 1969

Now, you lost me completely.

I still don't know where to put the data directory and what files to look for.

edited December 1969

Put the data folder in H:\LINDA\DAZ other\studio\My Library\

edited August 2012

Same result, no matter where I put the data folder I seems to get the same error message.

It's strange, because I can load old works with Genesis figures in, but I cannot fetch a new Genesis.

Post edited by Hera on
    edited December 1969

Do you in fact have a file H:/LINDA/DAZ other/studio/My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf?

edited December 1969

Yes I have, size 45 kb and from 11-12-06

edited December 1969

That sounds too small - you are looking at the file in the H:/LINDA/DAZ other/studio/My Library/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/ folder, not the file in H:/LINDA/DAZ other/studio/My Library/People/Genesis?

edited December 1969

It might be the larger one of those I've managed to lost then, since the only one I find in a search is the 45 kb one. Would it be possible to re-download the larger one from somewhere?

And how about dzassetdaz.cpp ?

edited December 1969

You'd need to reinstall DAZ Studio I'm afraid.

dzassetdaz.cpp would be part of the source code for DAZ Studio, relating to handling the DzAsset class - it isn't useful information to you, but would be helpful to the developers if this should turn out to be a bug afterall.

edited December 1969

Phew - did as told and I had to download every single Genesis character as well. And now it finally works...