DS4.03.47 Crashing on 'simple scene'

Robert952Robert952 Posts: 141
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I am trying to track down the conditions causing of DS4 to crash. I can just about make it crash on demand with the scene.

Noob type question...

I've loaded just the content that comes with the base install. Using Genesis figure, female, with the Lana Materials. (At least that seems to be the material that loads with the basic female character.)

Am I correct that the UV Set should be V4 (it seems to be the default) and not Genesis Female? When i select Gen Fem, I get a weird gap in the texture. That's why I think it's V4 that should be used. I want to eliminate the UV Set setting as a culprit (or at least be sure to use the correct setting).

Not sure this is part of the crash issue I am having. I thot it might be a PC issue cause this happens on my home machine. But this is a new install on my laptop... never has had DS of any version loaded. Last night before I retired for the evening, I could build the scene from scratch, add clothes from the Magus outfit, a couple of props (walls) from the Aikonara set, no lights, no hair and it would crash fairly predictably. I'll do a more methodical, meticulous recreation of the scene and see if I can reproduce the crash. But one step at a time.

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

System specs, especially video card and driver would be helpful. :)

• Robert952Robert952 Posts: 141
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    System specs, especially video card and driver would be helpful. :)

Sorry for delay... on the road, tough to find time (one has to sleep sometime).

Info... i7 processor (1.6 GHz) 3 Gig ram, winXP SP3 (yeah... company gives us race cars and tells us to drive them like go carts)

Looking at the information, everything is supported (GL2.1.2, 8 lights, 4 texture units, Max textuer 8192X8192)

Vid card: Nvidia Quadro FX1800M/PCI/SSE2).
    If I read the specs correctly 1 GB memory.
    Driver 6.14.12.6883

edited December 1969

Based on that driver version, it looks like you're using the Microsoft driver for your video card. This shouldn't affect rendering (as long as you're using CPU rendering) but it may cause crashing during scene manipulation. You should use the Manufacturer's nVidia drivers if possible.

Next up we need your render settings as shown on the advanced tab of the render settings pane.

edited December 1969

Sorry for delay in getting back... too many meetings, too long of hours...not enough sleep.

Not to be argumentative... but how does one know when it's a manufacturer's driver?

Here is shot of the driver info....

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/214/f/c/driverinfo_by_robert952-d59lact.jpg

I would have thot that if it says Nvidia, it's Nvidia's driver. Apologies for not stating that previously.

I will go look for an updated driver just in case there is one.

Tonite I am having trouble getting the scene to crash on a regular (nearly predictable) basis. I did get it to crash one time.

I do have to amend my original specs. I am using the 'Fiery Genesis' light set that is part of the DS4 base load which is an UberEnvironment 2 with a total of 4 lights (2 spots with deep shadow mapping, 2 distant for specular). I thot it was crashing with no lights.

For the record though, I am using the default settings for the Render. I have not changed any setting since I have loaded DS4. When I get the image/software to crash, I'll provide those settings.

FYI, I have these issues on my home PC and thot (still think) it is a computer issue. When I decided to load DS4 I decided to go slow and kind of 'test' the set up and such.

Not discounting a PICNIC issue yet. But at least I am trying to more methodically figure out what is happening before I start loading a bunch of other models, plugins and such. (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer - PICNIC)

I am still curious about the 'tearing' of the texture. My thot is that the UV Set for a Genesis figure would be Genesis Female and not V4. When the UV Set is V4, not problem (the left hand figure).... when I use the Gen Fem setting I get gaps in the surface (right side figure). NOTE: Figures do have on underwear and no naughty parts showing. :D

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/214/5/d/texture_issue_v4_vs_genesis_lana_material_by_robert952-d59l4xx.jpg

Is the Lana texture really a V4 set and not a true "Genesis" set?

I'll start adding back props to the image that was crashing and see if I can get it to crash again.

Thanks for the help.

edited August 2012

robert952 said:
    Sorry for delay in getting back... too many meetings, too long of hours...not enough sleep.

Not to be argumentative... but how does one know when it's a manufacturer's driver?

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/214/f/c/driverinfo_by_robert952-d59lact.jpg

I would have thot that if it says Nvidia, it's Nvidia's driver. Apologies for not stating that previously.

Note that the driver's signer is "Microsoft". Also note how much higher a "version" my nVidia driver is than the Microsoft one... The MS one hasn't been updated in a long, long time. That's part of the recommendation to switch to an nVidia supplied one.

An nVidia one will be signed by nVidia ala mine below:

201208020833_nvidia.png
    419 x 243 - 8K
    Post edited by adamr001 on
    edited December 1969

robert952 said:
    I am still curious about the 'tearing' of the texture. My thot is that the UV Set for a Genesis figure would be Genesis Female and not V4. When the UV Set is V4, not problem (the left hand figure).... when I use the Gen Fem setting I get gaps in the surface (right side figure). NOTE: Figures do have on underwear and no naughty parts showing. :D

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/214/5/d/texture_issue_v4_vs_genesis_lana_material_by_robert952-d59l4xx.jpg

Yes, Lana Elite is a V4 texture. Genesis can accept and use textures from many different figures (Gen 4 Victoria, Gen 4 Michael, Gen 4 Kids, Michael 5, Victoria 5, Troll, Anubis, etc.). These are call "UV Sets" and can be selected on the surfaces tab when you have a genesis surface selected. Note some UVs come only when you buy the associated product (E.g., Troll for Genesis).
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    robert952 said:

Note that the driver's signer is "Microsoft". Also note how much higher a "version" my nVidia driver is than the Microsoft one... The MS one hasn't been updated in a long, long time. That's part of the recommendation to switch to an nVidia supplied one.

An nVidia one will be signed by nVidia ala mine below:

Ahhh...now I see. Found a more recent driver. Will download that (though as pointed out, crash is during render not scene work). Probably upset my IT guys... but they'll get over it.

Thanks

edited August 2012

adamr001 said:
    robert952 said:

Yes, Lana Elite is a V4 texture. Genesis can accept and use textures from many different figures (Gen 4 Victoria, Gen 4 Michael, Gen 4 Kids, Michael 5, Victoria 5, Troll, Anubis, etc.). These are call "UV Sets" and can be selected on the surfaces tab when you have a genesis surface selected. Note some UVs come only when you buy the associated product (E.g., Troll for Genesis).

K, understand. Seems weird that the initial load for DS4 would include a non-genesis set for the Genesis figure/character load. But stranger things have happened.

Latest 'test' seem to be that a specific prop is the culprit. There's some 'props' in the Architecture folder for the Aikanaro stuff. When I loaded the "NoAi-Fence" into the scene and render, DS4 crashed. I'll experiment further as it might be a combination of props causing issue. (Wondering what NoAi means.... no Ambient Inclusion instead of Occlusion? No Artificial Intelligence?)

Thanks again for the insight and help. I appreciate the patience and guidance.

Post edited by Robert952 on