youtube and copyright discussion - not legal but informative

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited May 2021 in Carrara Discussion

those of us (especially me) who have compaioned about the youtube content rights system might be interested in the folloiwing discussion.  Not a legal class, but I thought it was informative.

https://youtu.be/1Jwo5qc78QU

(I saw it posted in another forum - I think the Commons, and suspect it could be of interest to Carrara folks who integrate sounds, images, etc in posted stuff)

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Yeah... wow!

I bought some music from Sony (sold for use in videos we make using their software) and when I did, and put it on YouTube, I was contacted and given permission to keep the videos up, but not for monetization.

It wasn't Sony making the claims either. It was either the original artist who sold the clips of music to Sony, or someone else used the Sony music clips and copyrighted them.

After removing monetization from my channel altogether, I'm actually a lot happier that YT doesn't put ads wherever they want within my videos.

So now I make my own IP (not copying any movie, comic or other characters or story) and make my own music for them, but I'm still not planning to monetize. I'm still not sure how to deal with my films when I get them rolling.

One thought was to only show trailers and teasers on YouTube and sell the actual final work.

Another thought is to just launch them without monetization and forget about ever getting paid for all of these years.

Thoughts?