Bryce lighting

krisma12234krisma12234 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi and this is my first post (sorry I don't know how to use a forum)! I am completely new to what the Bryce lighting application is - when do you use it and what is it for? Thanks for helping me!

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Bryce Lightning is for network rendering -- you install Bryce Lightning on the "slave" machines, then the main machine parcels out sections for each machine to render and collates the results.

• krisma12234krisma12234 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ahh, so for example half the image renders on one pc, and the other half renders on this computer? cool! If i have lighting on two computers, how do i start it?
    thanks!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,294
    edited December 1969

@krisma12234 - welcome to these forums. As fixmypcmike sais, Lightning is the Bryce network render client. Up to 16 computers can share the work. If you render an animation, the individual frames are sent to the client computer to crunch, for a still, you set it to tile optimization and the host sends 100 x 100 pixel tiles to the clients. The host assembles the render.

Yes, you can use 2 computers. Start Lightning on the host and client. Set Priority as desired on the host, this will set the priority for the client(s). I have a PDF document on my website Bryce Lightning (Network Rendering) that should help you getting it started.

Come back if you need more help.

edited December 1969

thanks @horo for your excellent pdf! one last question, if I want to render one image on bryce, can I set it up so it renders on two or more computers!
    thanks!!

edited December 1969

Glad it helped. Yes, that's what I call "still" in the PDF, a still picture is a single picture as opposed to an animation, which is usually not still. It is not very intuitive to start a network render for a single (still) image and have to go via Render Animation.

edited December 1969

Thank you so much! Now, I know how to use it! ;)

• sasa Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

eXcellent , Horo , thank you ...

What are the minimum frame requirements before Bryce Lighting can be put to use ?

Are there documented or undocumented work-arounds ? Please

edited December 1969

What are the minimum frame requirements before Bryce Lighting can be put to use ?

Are there documented or undocumented work-arounds ? Please

Thank you, you're welcome. What do you mean with "minimum frame requirements"?
  • sasa Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

Minimum frames per second , that meet the minimum frame rate per second requirements before Bryce Lightning can be engaged .
    I'm guessing it isn't 1 frames per second , which would be really neat ,

I've relied on Large Address Aware ... can be found here
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/

and setting Bryce 7.1 Pro priority to ' above normal ' .

edited December 1969

@starmijo2012 - I see. I don't think there is any minimum frame rate for network rendering. What renders directly ought to work with Lightning. I'm not in animation and cannot say for sure. But since a still picture can be network rendered (with tile optimization on, preferably), I see no problems here. Why not just make a small animation and test?

LAA (large address aware): I use it for all Bryce versions from 4 up and never ever had an issue. As a 32-bit application, Bryce can address up to 2 GB and it does everything in memory. When the 2 GB are exhausted, Bryce doesn't work anymore. With LAA, Bryce can go to around 3.2 to 3.5 GB, which is more than 50% more memory. But you computer has to have enough memory available. There is a video on David Brinnen's YouTube channel how to use LAA: Bryce Memory Shortage - and what you can do about it if you need help to set it up.

Priority Setting: if your computer sports a CPU with more than one core and/or can multi-thread, you set the priority as shown in the picture below. If it has a single CPU, the Priority options are not available.

Priority.gif
    393 x 724 - 34K