Carrara 8.5 Pro Crashing When Loading DAZ Studio MAT???

LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Howdy Everyone,

It has been a while since I posted here, but I ran into another "issue" this past week. I recently discovered another site that sells content for Poser/DAZ Studio due to a link here in the forum (Renderosity). I went there looking for some items that were featured in some PA promos. While there I found a Victoria 4/Genesis 2 Character named Angelika that had a breathtakingly beautiful promo image (rendered in DAZ Studio no less). I had a coupon to take 35% off purchases there, so went ahead and got it (as well as the item I went there looking for).

I loaded it up in Studio, set up the basic character and then saved it as a Scene Subset, so I could import it into Carrara. Problem is, that when I started to load it into Carrara, the program crashed when it hit some part of the character. So I went back into Carrara and assembled the scene again within Carrara, and figured out the crash occurs when trying to load the MAT for Angelika. I can reproduce this 100% of the time, but it works fine in Studio. This sucks, as I am excited to see what I could do with the improved rendering engine in Carrara (over Studio).

I did send a message to the vendor, but haven't heard back yet, has anyone here encountered a MAT that works in Studio but not Carrara,? Is there a way to fix that? Thanks!

Rich S.

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

LinkRS said:
    Howdy Everyone,

It has been a while since I posted here, but I ran into another "issue" this past week. I recently discovered another site that sells content for Poser/DAZ Studio due to a link here in the forum (Renderosity). I went there looking for some items that were featured in some PA promos. While there I found a Victoria 4/Genesis 2 Character named Angelika that had a breathtakingly beautiful promo image (rendered in DAZ Studio no less). I had a coupon to take 35% off purchases there, so went ahead and got it (as well as the item I went there looking for).

I loaded it up in Studio, set up the basic character and then saved it as a Scene Subset, so I could import it into Carrara. Problem is, that when I started to load it into Carrara, the program crashed when it hit some part of the character. So I went back into Carrara and assembled the scene again within Carrara, and figured out the crash occurs when trying to load the MAT for Angelika. I can reproduce this 100% of the time, but it works fine in Studio. This sucks, as I am excited to see what I could do with the improved rendering engine in Carrara (over Studio).

I did send a message to the vendor, but haven't heard back yet, has anyone here encountered a MAT that works in Studio but not Carrara,? Is there a way to fix that? Thanks!

Rich S.

This isn't an "ideal" work around, but it will definitely work without a crash. In DS, save out the character with the proper morphs, and a generic V4 mat (or even the wrong mats with the V4 uv set). This will ensure that when you open up the character in Carrara that you have the morphs, and the proper UV set. Once the firgue is loaded, consolidate the shaders by going to Edit>Remove Unused Masters>Consolidate Duplicate Shaders, This step will make the process of swapping texture maps easier/faster. Now select Actor in your Genesis tree, and go to the texture room. Now you will need to go through all of your materials and replace the texture maps with the textures you want from the Angelika set.

After you're done, and have everything set the way you want it, drag the multicolored ball to the "My Shaders" folder in the shaders tab of the content browser. Now the shader set will be available any time you want to use it in the future. Again, this isn't ideal by any means, but it is probably the way I would do it.

There may be another way to do it, but since I don't have that set (or any from that vendor), I can't try them out. If there is a textures only version of the shaders (no SSS or any other DS specific features) you may be able to save that out as a preset from DS that will work for you without crashing Carrara.

Hope something here helps.

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:

This isn't an "ideal" work around, but it will definitely work without a crash. In DS, save out the character with the proper morphs, and a generic V4 mat (or even the wrong mats with the V4 uv set). This will ensure that when you open up the character in Carrara that you have the morphs, and the proper UV set. Once the firgue is loaded, consolidate the shaders by going to Edit>Remove Unused Masters>Consolidate Duplicate Shaders, This step will make the process of swapping texture maps easier/faster. Now select Actor in your Genesis tree, and go to the texture room. Now you will need to go through all of your materials and replace the texture maps with the textures you want from the Angelika set.

After you're done, and have everything set the way you want it, drag the multicolored ball to the "My Shaders" folder in the shaders tab of the content browser. Now the shader set will be available any time you want to use it in the future. Again, this isn't ideal by any means, but it is probably the way I would do it.

There may be another way to do it, but since I don't have that set (or any from that vendor), I can't try them out. If there is a textures only version of the shaders (no SSS or any other DS specific features) you may be able to save that out as a preset from DS that will work for you without crashing Carrara.

Hi dustrider,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my plight. I am attempting to follow your steps, and have gotten to the point where I swap out the textures. Took me a little bit to figure out where to do that at, but I finally found it. I was able to load up all of the Angelika textures except for the "mouth." When I loaded that one, Carrara crashed! So it seems that there is something about that texture that Carrara doesn't like, but Studio is OK with? Once I finish tweaking this, I'll post a sample of a render. Thanks again!

Rich S.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

LinkRS said:
    dustrider said:

Hi dustrider,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my plight. I am attempting to follow your steps, and have gotten to the point where I swap out the textures. Took me a little bit to figure out where to do that at, but I finally found it. I was able to load up all of the Angelika textures except for the "mouth." When I loaded that one, Carrara crashed! So it seems that there is something about that texture that Carrara doesn't like, but Studio is OK with? Once I finish tweaking this, I'll post a sample of a render. Thanks again!

Rich S.
    Glad to hear it worked for you!

I've run into problem textures that wouldn't load in the past. What usually worked was to open them in an image editing program (Photoshop, Gimp, etc.), then re-save them to a new file, usually with "fix" in the name so I would know which one to use.