Story Inspirations ... Songs?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,233
    edited June 2021

The way they shot the dark scenes (scenes in the dark) is a great technique to learn. 

For set/scene creation, they need to give a reason for there to be light, so it's a pit with the moon overhead.

This gives reason enough for the incredible lighting they give to these dark scenes that would otherwise be... well... dark!

Just like many other great movies with great cinematographers, they pound the backside of the character with a powerful rim light so that the subdued lighting from the front gets enhanced with a glowing outline. These folks did it Very Well!!!

It can be hard to do, which is where using CG really shines. Shooting on green screen or similar allows them to place lights according to how they want the character within the scene to be lit, and then being able to light the scene itself entirely independant from that - like the way I light my scenes in my Volumetric Lighting video.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i watched it twice in a row.  heart is free on amazon prime

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

I'm still working my way through a LOT of old CD's from under bed storage boxes.  This one came up during the morning shower.  My version of this escape is a sailboat in Galveston Bay at night.  Could be a nice Fantasy animation, either way.

Mystiara said:

i watched it twice in a row.  heart is free on amazon prime

Good Girl!!!

Steve K said:

I'm still working my way through a LOT of old CD's from under bed storage boxes.  This one came up during the morning shower.  My version of this escape is a sailboat in Galveston Bay at night.  Could be a nice Fantasy animation, either way.

video link

Cool.

heart Carole King.

i feel the earth move unda my feet

Carly Simon

cant remember how old i was when i saw the video for this song.
    i remember feeling ill from it.
    The Doors (Unknown Soldier Live at the Hollywood Bowl)

the crystal ship

edited June 2021

wicked pair of shoes she's wearing smiley

some girl rock power

i was gonna post cheery bomb by runaways.  not sure it will upset the sensors

sad story

Post edited by Mistara on

Mystiara said:

wicked pair of shoes she's wearing smiley

some girl rock power

Notice the difference in crowd apparel/behavior between The Doors/American Bandstand and the Go-Go's.  Probably explains the heavy "Security" presence for the latter.  

I do not own a tie.  cheeky

tie dyed ties.  lol  a tie in Thailand, tee hee

think i'm overtired giddy, tie in Thailand so funny bwah

The Crystal Ship is one of the songs that I often use to excercise my Jim Morrison singing voice. When I was a teen, people would pay me to sing and/or draw portraits of Jim. I was 14 when I first started playing drums and singing in bands for money, and The Doors were my bread and butter that would get me hired.

I can still sing a mean JM! :)

Another one that came up from my under bed storage boxes of CD's.  The great Steve Goodman ("City Of New Orleans") singing about his beloved home team Cubs, and a great story, but I don't think I could do it without the (copyrighted) song. Which BTW I think got him banned from Wrigley Field until he wrote a sequel, "Go, Cubs, Go!"  

Something similar maybe for an animation, about the eternal optimism of spring training, and the dismal feeling in September, 30 games out, or 60 games out (Mets 1962).  Or washed up in early June (the Diamondbacks are currently 18 games out) ... or ... crying

mebbe with npr render er

i never listened to the whole song before.  just the little bit in the hghlander intro

is makin me dream images of dragon kings 

this is a good song for a dragon

edited June 2021

1.8M views on this song  its what the internet wants, lol

Moulin Rouge

1.5m views.

internet loves Blondie.  heart

internet loves jeanies?

Alice

is it still the 70s, i been tripping this whole time?

Mystiara said:

Alice

I recall Arlo sayng if he'd known it was gonna be popular, he would have made it a lot shorter.  He did make a rock version under 5 minutes:

wait for it to come round again on the guitarr  lolsmiley

we always listen to it on thanksgiving.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198

Many dance tracks of the early 80s wove stories into their lyrics.

For example "Best Friend's Girlfriend" by a Young Marcus Miller. Even the title suggests the storyline, but one line is "Hello? No you can't come over - it's 3 am?!! Hello? Oh no she's commin' over". Or something like that.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

Wizzard smiley

song with a story.

this one give me chills

Mystiara said:

song with a story.

this one give me chills

yes

Here's a story that's a little more light hearted:

Todd Snider - The Story of the Ballad of the Devil's Backbone Tavern

wipe out

Mystiara said:

wipe out

That's a LOT of views for that old rock drum piece.  Geezer alert - I played this on stage at my highschool's "talent" show.  I played the guitar part, just the single note stuff, not the hot licks.  My buddy George played the drums and nailed it, he was amazing (this is the late 60's).  Sadly, on the last riff he hit the crash cymbal on the way up with the stick, so the big finale beat was off.  He was devastated, really.  Drummers are like that.

Steve K said:

Mystiara said:

wipe out

That's a LOT of views for that old rock drum piece.  Geezer alert - I played this on stage at my highschool's "talent" show.  I played the guitar part, just the single note stuff, not the hot licks.  My buddy George played the drums and nailed it, he was amazing (this is the late 60's).  Sadly, on the last riff he hit the crash cymbal on the way up with the stick, so the big finale beat was off.  He was devastated, really.  Drummers are like that.

it happens sometimes.  the beat must go on. 

Heard this one at the city pool today, a favorite one hit wonder from "Looking Glass".   One comment tells the tale: "I absolutely love this song. It's like a movie telling a story, but in just a few minutes. You can picture Brandy, the sailor she loves, the ship, the ocean, the bar... "  I see the harbor being San Francisco in the days of the "Barbary Coast", 1849 to about 1920 (also a funny 1975 TV show with William Shatner, Doug McClure and Richard Kiel, 7.1 @ IMDB).  The lyrics (complete in the comments) are almost a script for a 5 minute 48 hour animation, Romance genre.

oh mann,  that brings on a tidal wave of nostalgia.

what happened to that world, when music was musical.

every tine i turn on the radio its that stupid psycho song.  home james in the time machine.

edited July 2021

i love this guy's voice.  makes me cry

i find this one a powerfully moving song.

i like Candlebox a lot,

its so artsy tho, lol,  i don't understand it.

i just assume its about drugs.