How to "glue" clothes and hair to the character for the export.

The title says it all.

How to have clothes baked to the character, and if possible remove parts of the body covered by such clothes all in Carrara 8.5 Pro?

I would like to have a character and all clothes and hair connected to the character permanently,

but still have a possibility to pose and animate such combo.

I have purchased my first Carrara 5 Pro in 2007 and I am still a newbie of using it.

And yes, I have also purchased Carrara 8.5 Pro in 2013 and still a newbie with using it, as well.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

I hope this helps:

Carrara is Magic on how it can load Poser/Daz 3d content directly from a runtime or content library as we would in either of the main host applications.

Unfortunately, it's actually kind of a one-way trip, meaning that we cannot 'export' to either CR2 (Poser figure) or DUF (Daz Studio Actor) formats.

However, what we can do, and this is how I work, is to save the character (or anything we make in Carrara) to its own browser. This will keep everything together as we have it in the scene. It saves everything.

It has been recommended to not use compression when doing so, as compressed saves can sometimes get corrupted, and never open again. 

I have a little article here on making a custom browser system for Carrara: Creating a Custom Browser in Carrara

There are a lot of fun articles and projects going on, and within my Character Setup section (within Carrara CG Workshop's Pre-production Phase) is a fun little excercise: Character Design, which shows how I optimize my characters for Carrara and even includes a free scene file download with the scene setup I use in the video.

Here's the video:

Again, I really hope this helps. There's a Lot to Carrara, and it just makes life so much easier for me in the end. I love how easy it is to use, once we get to know it, and yet we can do Anything CG within it! It's a vast and wonderful software!

Let me know if you get stuck on anything ;)

So I've also lately taken on a bit of a new workflow that makes all of this a bit easier.

If I have a character that I always want to wear 'these' clothes with 'this' hair, etc., and it's a Daz 3d figure, I'll first create the character in Daz Studio and give it the character skins that I want it to have and save it as a character preset within Studio. This preset will now load directly from that library into Carrara as I've set it up.

Then I'll load the hair onto that character in Studio, set up the hair just how I want it, and save that to the library as a preset for the hair, and then do the same stuff for the clothing, etc.,

If we want (I never do) we can even save a scene in Studio with the character fully clothed with hair, and load that into Carrara.

I say this now, but I've never worked this way until fairly recently - always opting to simply stay in Carrara and set everything up in there, like I do in the above video.

Just wanted to show another option.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,306

Thanks a lot for the explanation - it makes easier to understand, how to approach my goal.

Will post some examples, after I make my own tests.

Sweet!

I know that some of these things can be a bit tough at first, before we know all of the little helpfuls that the software is made up of. 

So if you have any questions, just let us know!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited May 2021

great stuff Dart,

Artini, if you want to remove parts all in Carrara and glue the clothes, you would have to (firstly) name the parts you want to remove as a  material/new shader in the modelling room 

Then in the assembly room group (?) the figure and the clothes, then export the group as an OBJ, then reimport it.

Assuming you can select the new shader you made in the modelling room again you can then delete those polys.

Trouble is you will have to rebone the character which would be a pitb

Post edited by Headwax on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,306

Headwax said:

great stuff Dart,

Artini, if you want to remove parts all in Carrara and glue the clothes, you would have to (firstly) name the parts you want to remove as a  material/new shader in the modelling room 

Then in the assembly room group (?) the figure and the clothes, then export the group as an OBJ, then reimport it.

Assuming you can select the new shader you made in the modelling room again you can then delete those polys.

Trouble is you will have to rebone the character which would be a pitb

Thanks for the tips. Rebone is not something I can do and not to loose interest at all.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Yes it is a dead end