Converting a bump map into a normal map for use with UE4.

MacislavMacislav Posts: 126
edited May 2021 in Unreal Discussion

I've found a nice goosebump texture collection, but unfortunately it's not usable with UE4 as it is, because it's a transparent bump map. I need to blend it with my other body normal maps.

I've tried to convert it into a normal map with with different image editing software+the corresponding addons, but could not achieve the desired results.

It always looked like holes instead of bumps no matter if I flipped the green channel, inverted colors or added a background layer etc.

Maybe someone could tell me how to convert it into a normal map, readily usable with UE4.

It can be downloaded here for free:

https://www.deviantart.com/testrender/art/Goosebumps-for-Genesis-3-and-8-Females-v3-1-802458326

Post edited by Macislav on

Comments

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

Macislav said:

I've found a nice goosebump texture collection, but unfortunately it's not usable with UE4 as it is, because it's a transparent bump map. I need to blend it with my other body normal maps.

I've tried to convert it into a normal map with with different image editing software+the corresponding addons, but could not achieve the desired results.

It always looked like holes instead of bumps no matter if I flipped the green channel, inverted colors or added a background layer etc.

Maybe someone could tell me how to convert it into a normal map, readily usable with UE4.

It can be downloaded here for free:

https://www.deviantart.com/testrender/art/Goosebumps-for-Genesis-3-and-8-Females-v3-1-802458326

if you have substance paint it can convert bump maps into normal maps i do that into all my bump maps of the characters to improve they results since unreal don't work well with bump map. 

• MacislavMacislav Posts: 126
    edited May 2021

But in this special case it's not even a conventional bump map, but a transparent one with whitish spots. How to convert that while keeping all the bump information or does it simply lack the necessary height information?

Post edited by Macislav on
    edited May 2021

Macislav said:

But in this special case it's not even a conventional bump map, but a transparent one with whitish spots. How to convert that while keeping all the bump information or does it simply lack the necessary height information?

open with a image editor like for exemple photoshop then create a new "black layer and put it into under the transparence layer then blender the layers in a single one, then on that you can find a tutorial on how to turn this new image in a normap map.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • MacislavMacislav Posts: 126

It works now perfectly with a strength set to ~0.15 while combined with a second normal map layer.

edited May 2021

Macislav said:

It works now perfectly with a strength set to ~0.15 while combined with a second normal map layer.

yeah when coverting the bump to normal you must "reduce" the strength of the bumb around numbers which you seens as reasonable in most cases those number are around 0,10 to 0,20, some cases you can go a little hige like 0,50 but overal you can't let it be 1 or in some cases 100, if you let full strength it will make then like some sort of "ancient mummies".

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,941

Or if you don't have money to burn you can use this incredibly useful FREE version of a specialized normal map maker called materialize!