When do renders turn into pumpkins?

wistfultigerwistfultiger Posts: 30
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

This is what you get when you start your render just before midnight...

Saved image: C:\Users\David\SkyDrive\Glacier Peak\Modernity\Art\Elemental Mysteries\003 - Studious Wizards.png
Finished Rendering
Total Rendering Time: 1 days -14.-80 seconds

I'm sure it's a bug, because I started that render about 45 minutes before midnight and it was long done before I got around to coffee and breakfast this morning. =) The 72dpi image usually takes 10 minutes and the 300dpi image an hour.

Someone seems to be calculating the time parts all independently of one another instead of collectively.

No action required. My inner software developer was simply amused and I thought I'd share.

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

DPI is a meaningless value when discussing the size of a render. The length and width dimensions in pixels are the important numbers.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,180
    edited December 1969

darthreed said:
    This is what you get when you start your render just before midnight...

Saved image: C:\Users\David\SkyDrive\Glacier Peak\Modernity\Art\Elemental Mysteries\003 - Studious Wizards.png
    Finished Rendering
    Total Rendering Time: 1 days -14.-80 seconds

I'm sure it's a bug, because I started that render about 45 minutes before midnight and it was long done before I got around to coffee and breakfast this morning. =) The 72dpi image usually takes 10 minutes and the 300dpi image an hour.

Someone seems to be calculating the time parts all independently of one another instead of collectively.

No action required. My inner software developer was simply amused and I thought I'd share.Looks like DS is not used to renders over midnight ;)
    I wonder what you get if the render lasts several days...

• wistfultigerwistfultiger Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    DPI is a meaningless value when discussing the size of a render. The length and width dimensions in pixels are the important numbers.

Fair enough. I'll close InDesign and Photoshop for a minute. :lol:

441x666 px in 10 minutes.
    1875x2850 px in 2-ish hours.

Not my longest rendering scene by any stretch.

But that reminds me, @jestmart, is there any way to force 3delight to render a particular bit resolution? I haven't found one. It seems odd to me that it renders at 96dpi by default, not screen res or some other standard. It'd be one less step I have to take on the way from Daz to print or web...

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I'm fairly sure DAZ|Studio doesn't define an image resolution at all — the only render size it understands is pixels, anything else is meaningless. The image resolution you see when you view a render is the default resolution of whatever image viewing program you're using.

As for the weird render time, that seems to be what you get when the render lasts more than 24 hours, when it started and when it finished is irrelevant.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,587
    edited December 1969

96 dpi is actually a Microsoft standard.
    I first ran into that when designing email signatures for Outlook and found some obscure reference to the graphics only positioning properly when set at 96 dpi. :-/

• WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited December 1969

Since we're talking about dpi, I want to customize a texture map of an old Daz figure.

When I open a new page in my 2D graphics program, I have to specify the dimensions and resolution for the page.

I can get the dimensions from the original texture map, but what dpi should I use for resolution.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Denny L said:
    I can get the dimensions from the original texture map, but what dpi should I use for resolution.

Since it'll be ignored when you load the finished texture onto the figure, it doesn't matter. Can you leave that blank, or does it get automatically filled with a default value?
  • WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited December 1969

Since it'll be ignored when you load the finished texture onto the figure, it doesn't matter. Can you leave that blank, or does it get automatically filled with a default value?

Auto filled with default value, but if it'll be ignored by Daz Studio, then 400 dpi it is.