What stops a D-Former field from selecting geometry?

wistfultigerwistfultiger Posts: 30

I'm trying to apply some gravity-type effects to these boxers (so that they don't look so "starched" =), but when I add a D-Former to the boxers while Sebastian is wearing them, no geometry is selected regardless how big the field is and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

:-S

If I load the boxers into a new scene by themselves and apply a deformer, they deform just fine, but I need them to fit the figure first and then I'll lay the backs of the shorts down as per gravity.

What is the interaction between figure and clothing that would prevent geometry selection and deformation?

Help?

M6I_Boxers_fail_to_respond_to_D-Former.png
1320 x 600 - 349K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,131
    edited December 1969

The field needs to enclose the zero position, not the posed position, though you could use a weight map instead to control the effect.

• wistfultigerwistfultiger Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

The field needs to enclose the zero position, not the posed position, though you could use a weight map instead to control the effect.

There's a vital clue! Thank you, Richard. I finally found a ridiculous size that "selected" the geometry. The pose I'm using leaves the figure origin and apparently invisible geometry somewhere else.

Unfortunately, I'm not savvy enough yet to deform the geometry I need in the T-pose and then reapply it later. It's helpful to see it in situ. Now I need to figure out how to re-baseline "zero" for a figure after its posed. Hi ho, hi ho, off to the wiki I go. Maybe memorize is that feature?

• kourraxspamkourraxspam Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

darthreed said:

There's a vital clue! Thank you, Richard. I finally found a ridiculous size that "selected" the geometry. The pose I'm using leaves the figure origin and apparently invisible geometry somewhere else.

Unfortunately, I'm not savvy enough yet to deform the geometry I need in the T-pose and then reapply it later. It's helpful to see it in situ. Now I need to figure out how to re-baseline "zero" for a figure after its posed. Hi ho, hi ho, off to the wiki I go. Maybe memorize is that feature?

Post back with what you find, because I've been looking for a good way to do this for a while.

This script rearranges the order of operations of pose/morph/deform so the deform happens last of all, after posing.

To use it, create a dformer and put its name in for "My_DForm_Name" in the script, then select the figure with the dformer and run the script. You should see the dformer's field affect the posed geometry.

It's a gross hack, in particular you need to run it again if the figure gets reset or you load the scene from disk. I sometimes save different copies of the script with the different dformer names so I can run them all quickly.

// DAZ Studio version 4.6.1.33 filetype DAZ Script

var sMorphName = "My_DForm_Name";
    var oNode = Scene.getPrimarySelection();
    var oObject = oNode.getObject();
    if( oObject ){
    var oModifier = oObject.findModifier( sMorphName );
    if( oModifier ){
    var oDForm = oModifier.getDForm();
    oObject.removeModifier( oModifier );
    oModifier = new DzDFormModifier();
    oModifier.setName( sMorphName );
    oModifier.setDForm( oDForm );
    oObject.addModifier( oModifier, -1 );
    }
    }

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

darthreed said:

You don't need to do the deforming in the T pose - you only need to apply the dFormer while the character is in the T pose. Once the dFormer is applied to the object, it will follow the posing correctly. It just doesn't apply correctly to the posed figure.

Simple workflow:
    -set character to T pose
    -apply dFormer to pants
    -pose character
    - adjust dFormer field/base as required

• wistfultigerwistfultiger Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    darthreed said:

You don't need to do the deforming in the T pose - you only need to apply the dFormer while the character is in the T pose. Once the dFormer is applied to the object, it will follow the posing correctly. It just doesn't apply correctly to the posed figure.

Simple workflow:
    -set character to T pose
    -apply dFormer to pants
    -pose character
    - adjust dFormer field/base as required

Great to know! I appreciate all the great insights from everyone. I'll be putting this all into practice tonight to get that render sorted out.

:cheese:

• good day
    please tell me how to change the value "Shaiping" from the script?
    how do i get a list of all modifiers?

• pic

q.png
    1255 x 787 - 480K