3D modeling

PinzelmeisterPinzelmeister Posts: 114
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I realize more and more that I need to learn to work with actual 3D modeling. I've been modifying existing models by changing the textures, using trans maps and primitives, UV mapping etc . . . but have never used any of the 3d modeling programs. I'm looking for suggestions as to which one to start with. Sculptris? Blender? Hexagon? etc etc.
Example - I was working on this Puppet Theatre with some success - converting an existing file into a theatre (adding primitives, UV mapping etc). But I ran up against the little iron gate in the doorway - I assumed I could blank it out somehow with a Tmap, just turn it off etc . . . but apparently not. Not that this particular item is a big deal - but in general I need to know how to either build something like this from scratch or go in and modify the obj file etc. Suggestions?

theatre2.jpg
508 x 792 - 230K

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 2014

You need to try more than one, imo. What is my favorite program may be the bane of your existence. :)

Depending on your finances, you have open source programs like Blender which has really made great strides in the last few years and is a full 3D suite that includes cloth simulation, particles, animation, and more.

Under $200 there is DAZ's Hexagon and Carrara and we have very active forums for them here. Silo is a wonderful dedicated modeler.

You start going up the line with Maya LT (for gaming assets 25K polys and under), and on up the high priced ones like Cinema 4D, Maya and 3DS Max.

Programs like 3D Coat, ZBrush and Mudbox are not true 3D modelers, but are exceptionally good at what they do. The ability to sculpt with millions of polygons allows more artist-based type modelers to create highly detailed meshes. These would normally be unusable, as is, within other 3D programs, games, DAZ Studio, but they also have good retopology tools which allow you to create low poly meshes over the high poly one and then you can create normals/displacement for details from that high poly version to use on the low poly cage. (I don't recall if Sculptris has retopo tools.)

Most programs will have demos, many of them full working with no restrictions, some have learning versions...the point is try them all out before purchase. NEVER take anyone's recommendation that this or that is the best or easiest. That is an opinion based solely on their own experience and your experience may vastly differ good or bad.

Realize that all programs have a learning curve. Understand that when you become versed in 3D in one program, others often become easier to work with faster; this includes being able to begin to watch or read tutorials for any program and translate to your program of choice. Give yourself time. Step away when frustrated and come back and try again and ask, ask, ask questions.

Good luck.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,881
    edited December 1969

I would recommend Silo for either building your own or editing someone elses.

In the case of the above model, you could edit out what you dont need and you will not affect the UVs in a negative way.

• PinzelmeisterPinzelmeister Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the helpful replies. I just bought Hexagon . . . will also check out Silo etc.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Blender can pretty much do everything the under $200 and the over $3500 packages can which most potential users find hard to believe since it's free but the interface and the learning curve tend to frighten some off. If you choose to try Blender expect to spend a few hours on youtube trying to understand the interface. It's not that is poorly designed, it's designed to be very flexible and in doing so it can be a substantival amount of info to absorb.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Blender can pretty much do everything the under $200 and the over $3500 packages can which most potential users find hard to believe since it's free but the interface and the learning curve tend to frighten some off. If you choose to try Blender expect to spend a few hours on youtube trying to understand the interface. It's not that is poorly designed, it's designed to be very flexible and in doing so it can be a substantival amount of info to absorb.
    exactly...free doesn't mean crap, in this case far from it.
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,596
    edited December 1969

I agree that trying out the demos of the various modelling programs is a good idea, because after functionality, the user interface is very important part of the decision. In 30 days you can get a feel for the one that suits your work flow. I use Hexagon daily for my work, but both silo and blender are good modelling programs too.

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

On another note, to remove the iron gate in the above shown model use the polygon editor in Studio to either hide or delete the unwanted polygons. The polygon editor is a very handy tool!

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

I agree that trying out the demos of the various modelling programs is a good idea, because after functionality, the user interface is very important part of the decision. In 30 days you can get a feel for the one that suits your work flow. I use Hexagon daily for my work, but both silo and blender are good modelling programs too.

True, it's not so much which is" best" as what you are able to learn and work with. There are a lot of programs with enough features to do what we do.