How to: Show images and formatings for the old forum with firefox addon

AndyBerlinAndyBerlin Posts: 73
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Inspired by the discussion in the thread Hint: automatic redirect for old forum with firefox addon, I found the Firefox extension FoxReplace, which can replace text on a webpage. With the substitutions, most of the images (except product images from the old store and ArtZone Galleries) become visible and some formatings are repaired.

My substitutions and a more detailed description of the Firefox extensions Redirector and FoxReplace are on my new Homepage.

Here is a short version for FoxReplace.

1. Open FoxReplace from the Tools Menu in Firefox with FoxReplace options... .
2. Click on Import from URL
3. Enter the URL: http://www.andyberlin.info/3d/daz_forumarchive/FoxReplace_DAZ_Forum_Archive.json
4. Click on OK
5. Click on Append
6. Check Auto-replace on page load
7. Click on OK

If you find any problems with my substitutions or on some pages, please post them here. It would also be nice, when you create new substitutions, to post them.

The first image shows FoxReplace applied on the thread DAZ 3D PRODUCT SIGHTINGS.
The second image is the same without the substitutions.

FoxReplace_off_1.jpg
805 x 240 - 132K
FoxReplace_on_1.jpg
772 x 600 - 232K

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,832
    edited December 1969

Wow! It's working great. Your instructions were precise and clear. Using this add-on I can even go to the old forum index and navigate through threads, seeing the images. It is operating slowly - maybe because of the substitution or maybe the server for the forumarchive is just really slow. Anyway, thanks a lot for this!

• AndyBerlinAndyBerlin Posts: 73
    edited December 1969

Sadly, the server for the forumarchive is really slow.

In the Firefox Menu Tools, FoxReplace you can turn off the Auto-replace on page load. To apply the substitutions on a single page press F2. This is usefull for testing from new substitutions and when there are problems on a page.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    You can use my Firefox addon in my sig to do the same thing.

-- Morgan

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,832
    edited December 1969

Thank you Andy and Morgan. I've tried them both now. I slightly prefer Andy's old forum handling, because lists have bullets instead of having

, but that is a trivial thing. There may be other differences that did not jump out at me, making one version better than another. Morgan's wishlist reformatting is a joy to look at, so that is a keeper. Right now I have both active in my Firefox, with Andy's method set to be activated on F2. It seems that this way I can have the best of both worlds. :-) If only that server were more responsive! I guess we should be happy to have access at all.