more on gamma 2.2 or other gamma settings

Thought this was interesting because 2.2 is not the default Carrara setting.  Many folks will be familiar with PhilW rec to Carrara users to use 2.2

https://www.benq.com/en-ap/knowledge-center/knowledge/gamma-monitor.html

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

tomy eyes more gamma takes away the color vividness. takes away vibrance.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Thanks diomede. Mysty works on mosr scenes except landscapes which get blown out inmho 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited June 2021

All of my renders are done at GC = 2.2 ever since I bought Realism Rendering in Carrara by PhilW, but I think that's probably common knowledge by now.

He started this thread before his course was available and I was really reluctant. I loved trying it, but I gave up right away.

As he points out, it is a "Linear Workflow", which is also suggested in the updated edition of Digital Lighting and Rendering, by Jeremy Birn.

That linear workflow is a whole philosophy, so it does take some getting used to. Once we adopt this method, however, post work becomes a lot more versatile. Not using Gamma Correction tends to have black in more places than what there really should be. Those black regions can cause what they call "Pools of Black" that are untouchable using filters. So we'd have to paint or paste something in there if the pools wreck portions we don't want wrecked.

My favorite part about using Gamma Correction of 2.2 is that lighting became a Lot easier for me, and I also rid myself of those dreaded contrasty renders.

evilproducer still tries to pull me back out of this method of rendering, but I'm never going back!

Furthermore, since I've started blending technology - running Octane in DS and Carrara's Photoreal engine together, I've found that my Carrara renders at GC = 2.2 blend beautifully with my Octane work. Octane has Gamma Correction values for all kinds of things that I'm still a noob with. Iray and Lux both use GC = 2.2 as their default.

EDIT: Here's a link to the book, PhilW's course, and other info

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I never use gamma 2.2. As well as I never use gamma correction at all. It spoils my pictures in all cases. Because as Misty said. I also never set the ambience to absolute black.

Diomede said:

Thought this was interesting because 2.2 is not the default Carrara setting.  Many folks will be familiar with PhilW rec to Carrara users to use 2.2

https://www.benq.com/en-ap/knowledge-center/knowledge/gamma-monitor.html

Very cool! 

Yes, when PhilW started that thread, I was really intrigued, but ended up feeling as many here do - too washed out.

After Realism Rendering came out and I absorbed it a few times, I started looking at articles just like this one. A great compilation of information on how the Gamma Correction topic affects Carrara users is included in great Phil Wilkes voice skill in his course. 

Anyway, after considering information found in articles like the one you posted, PhilW's course and thread, and then also Jeremy Birn's awesome book, I had to give it a better try. One of my EnvironKits was just released, and PhilW shot a render of one of the presets using GC = 2.2 - something that the kits were not set up for - and it was an eye-opener for me. 

Aha... found it on Page 1 of his thread!

PhilW said:

...and another done today with Dartanbeck's wonderful Woodlands set, which you should get if you haven't already! This took less than an hour to render, I compromised a little on the indirect lighting to just use the Ambient Occlusion option for speed.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Gamma 2.2 good for human portraits but not Carrara hair or general scenes esp trees etc

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

I've been using gamma correction to tweak and tune up dark shadows in AO mode, jointly with ambient lighting but , as said before, washes out some maps and often changes their hue