Shiny Skin on 'Tori for V5'

Hi again,

Am testing out the different figures I already have for Genesis/V5. Tori is one of them.

For some reason, their skin is super shiny, in the editor, and in renders. I haven't changed anything. This is how they look immediately when loaded.
Again, I tried finding info about this in the forums, but couldn't get any results about it.

Any idea why this happens? It's the only one I've seen this with so far.

Thanks

ShinySkin_Editor.JPG
865 x 896 - 67K
ShinySkin.jpg
1280 x 720 - 190K

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited June 2021

Hi twocats. Quite commonly skin shaders come in with highlight and shiny ess ramped up. You can change them in the shader room. Best fux is ti download fenrics shader plug in. See article here. https://www.dartanbeck.com/carrara-zone/carrara-info/carrara-plugins/fenric  under shader power tools

Once you have it on your computer select the figure then on the top drop down menu under edit ? Select fenric, then hold she shift key down and selecet shader doctore . You will see a window pop up giving a chance to change some parameters. Select zero for the top one. This will change all shader oarameters on that model simultaneously.

if you selecet skin doctor you maye give yourself unwanted sub surface scattering which ups the tender time.

this is from memory but i think it is right. Glad you are using carrara.

Post edited by Headwax on

Sorry about the typos my ipad sucks at spelling

• WsCGWsCG Posts: 391

Headwax said:

Sorry about the typos my ipad sucks at spelling

lol no worries!
    I think they call it auto-correct as a joke, personally.

I'll check out that plugin. Dartanbeck's a treasure trove of info and tools? Searches about Carrara bring up so few results, I wouldn't know about much about this program if not for his YT videos, website, etc.

Thanks for sharing that plugin. I'll get it set up.

Thanks!

edited June 2021

Edit: I figured it out. Took a lot of searching, but I found the info on how to install plugins in one of Dartanbeck's documents..

Also got the skin fixed. 

Very good to know. And now I know there's a mountain of plugins to explore once I'm comfy with Carrara itself, which will take time.

Carrara's thrown me a lot of curveballs and, in the past, I've said "nevermind" and moved on. But I realize there's nothing else out there that really fits what I'm looking for. I used to have Blender as a fall-back since I was familiar with it (road of least resistance and all that). But with the drastic changes to its interface since 2.8, and the way they keep bloating it with more and more (and more) new tools and features, it's fallen out of favor for me. So, I'm determined to stick with Carrara and really tame this program.

Thanks!

Post edited by WsCG on

Pleasure dart is full of wiseness! 

Heres some random thoughts https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28022/hints-for-new-users

a dhort cut i often use for aligning objects is to select both objects and hit cntrl k and select align centres in the pop up window. The second selected object will move to the position if the first. 

Headwax said:

Pleasure dart is full of wiseness! 

Heres some random thoughts https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28022/hints-for-new-users

a dhort cut i often use for aligning objects is to select both objects and hit cntrl k and select align centres in the pop up window. The second selected object will move to the position if the first. 

Some very helpful tips there!

#13 got a chuckle from me...

13) Fenric's other Plugin that you really should get is Shader Doctor. Shader Doctor allows you to reset POSER shaders en masse on a figure so that their highlights aren't blown out. Otherwise on eg Stonemasons Emerald Forest you will be there all day and still miss some shaders.

The Ambient Light setting and Keyboard Shortcuts were very helpful, too. I threw together a quick discount Rembrandt lighting scene earlier, and couldn't figure out why the lighting wasn't quite right. I think now I know. The backlighting was being overpowered by the ambient. Now I want to set up another quick scene to test that.

I bought Phil Wilkes' training series a while back, so I'm going to go through that again. I basically forgot almost everything from it. 

Anyhow, thanks again!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

The same video I posted in your other thread has a visual walk-through of the whole process! ;)