Mirror - Reflections

SinnerManSinnerMan Posts: 27
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi
I wondered if someone would be kind enough to help a "newbie"...me :-)
I've looked for tut's..youtube etc.etc but can't find anything that is detailed and step by step.
I have Useful Mirrors....unfortunately...they are NOT very useful as I can't get them to act / display as a mirror :-(
Thanks

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,979
    edited December 1969

Assuming you are using the DAZ Studio versions, the main thing is to make sure you have something for them to reflect - lit on the side facing the mirror. Image backdrops won't reflect.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,210
    edited December 2014

I don't know how much this will help you, but perhaps you've not seen the vendor's original thread about this product:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/30534/
    It seems to cover quite a few people's questions/problems using the product. Perhaps read that, then if you're still stuck ask again. I think I have the product myself, but I'm writing this from my laptop whereas I have DAZ Studio installed on a desktop machine at home, so I can't try it out just now.
    There are several threads in these forums about mirrors and reflections in general - try a Google search using "site:www.daz3d.com/forums/ mirror reflection" and see if anything else crops up that helps.
    EDIT: Aha, Richard has turned up - he's a fount of all knowledge so I'm sure he'll be able to help you better than I can.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • SinnerManSinnerMan Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Thanks Richard for the reply
    I "THINK" you mean for example....Open.... Mirror..Open...Gen 2 in front, but it won't reflect..."you" need to add some lighting to mirror side of body for it to work??
    Thanks

• SinnerManSinnerMan Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Thanks Mel...I have a look at that. Thanks for the info!!!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,979
    edited December 1969

Thanks Richard for the reply
    I "THINK" you mean for example....Open.... Mirror..Open...Gen 2 in front, but it won't reflect..."you" need to add some lighting to mirror side of body for it to work??
    Thanks

Yes. I would put a big prop, or at least a plane primitive on edge, with a distant light shining on the side facing the mirror and use that to adjust the placing until I had worked out where things need to be to show in the mirror (or where th camera needs to be to see the reflections). Once you've got that worked out using fast-rendering primitives you can go on to placing your figure, and any environment you want to place it in.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,630
    edited December 1969

Thanks Melanie for posting the link to the previous thread and Richard for imparting the usual wisdom. Ray trace settings are definitely import for mirrors to render, 3 bounces are usually sufficient. Using raytraced lights help and there is a lightset included in the useful mirrors package to help get a decent reflection. And having an enclosed space guarantees the mirrors will have something to reflect. Also important to note, the mirrors only reflect once rendered. Hope that helps.

raytracesetting.jpg
    1092 x 532 - 137K