LuxusCore Carrara

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024

Does any of the FAQ points help?

6. FAQ

Q: How can I check if my computer supports LuxusCore GPU rendering?
    A1. A good test is running the LuxMark V3 benchmark, if all 3 scenes can be rendered, then LuxuxCore should work in Carrara too. Get LuxMark V3.1 here.
    A2. NVIDIA drivers are more unstable than AMD, for example on NVIDIA GeForce 680M, driver version 353.30 does not work. Roll back to 347.09 for both LuxMark and LuxusCore Carrara to work.

Q: There is a graphics glitch or black screen or wrong colors/shaders, what can I try to change that may help?
    A1. Uncheck the Biased option in Edit/LuxCore Config menu.
    A3: Try the following config in the render room “Config Settings” box:
    renderengine.type = “PATHOCL”
    opencl.platform.index = “-1”
    opencl.cpu.use = 0
    opencl.gpu.use = 1
    opencl.gpu.workgroup.size = “64”
    accelerator.instances.enable = “0”
    opencl.kernel.options = “-cl-fast-relaxed-math -cl-mad-enable -cl-no-signed-zeros”
    To render with both CPU and CPU change the opencl.cpu.use value to 1.
    Also try to remove the last line (opencl.kernel.options = “-cl-fast-relaxed-math -cl-mad-enable -cl-no-signed-zeros”) which does speed up rendering (30% for NVIDIA, 3% for AMD in LuxMark V3.1), at the cost of some compatibility (crashes).
    A4: LuxCore uses accelerators, these speed up ray casting and figuring out what rays hit and where.  The default is for LuxCore to choose the accelerator:
    accelerator.type = AUTO
    Try these in the config settings:
    accelerator.type = BVH
    accelerator.type = MBVH
    accelerator.type = QBVH
    accelerator.type = MQBVH
    More about accelerators in the Luxrender FAQ.

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    3drendero said:

Does any of the FAQ points help?

6. FAQ

Q: How can I check if my computer supports LuxusCore GPU rendering?
    A1. A good test is running the LuxMark V3 benchmark, if all 3 scenes can be rendered, then LuxuxCore should work in Carrara too. Get LuxMark V3.1 here.
    A2. NVIDIA drivers are more unstable than AMD, for example on NVIDIA GeForce 680M, driver version 353.30 does not work. Roll back to 347.09 for both LuxMark and LuxusCore Carrara to work.

Q: There is a graphics glitch or black screen or wrong colors/shaders, what can I try to change that may help?
    A1. Uncheck the Biased option in Edit/LuxCore Config menu.
    A3: Try the following config in the render room “Config Settings” box:
    renderengine.type = “PATHOCL”
    opencl.cpu.use = 0
    opencl.gpu.use = 1
    opencl.kernel.options = “-cl-fast-relaxed-math -cl-mad-enable -cl-no-signed-zeros”
    To render with both CPU and CPU change the opencl.cpu.use value to 1.
    Also try to remove the last line (opencl.kernel.options = “-cl-fast-relaxed-math -cl-mad-enable -cl-no-signed-zeros”) which does speed up rendering (30% for NVIDIA, 3% for AMD in LuxMark V3.1), at the cost of some compatibility (crashes).
    A4: LuxCore uses accelerators, these speed up ray casting and figuring out what rays hit and where.  The default is for LuxCore to choose the accelerator:
    accelerator.type = AUTO
    Try these in the config settings:
    accelerator.type = BVH
    accelerator.type = MBVH
    accelerator.type = QBVH
    accelerator.type = MQBVH
    More about accelerators in the Luxrender FAQ.

All three LuxMark V3.1 scenes rendered ok

Biased option is unchecked

Applied the "Config Settings" with all the accelerator types.

Still get nothing but black.

My specs:

Win10-64bit

i7-4790k @ 4.00GHz

32 GB ram

gtx 980 - 4GB

My next option is to roll back my Nvidia Drivers (current one is 361.43)

If LuxMark works, then it is less likely to be a driver issue. But the NVIDIA driver has been a problem, so there still may be issues...

Do both of these simple test scenes render black?
    http://sphericlabs.com/scratch/LuxusScene.zip

https://app.box.com/s/vts493zf37mq3q551lupr1hmwdg7bt59

Also try with these in the Config Settings, should be the most compatible but slower:renderengine.type = “PATHOCL”
    opencl.cpu.use = 0
    opencl.gpu.use = 1

Actually I have been using those scene files all along for testing puposes.  I have a number of computers, and I get Black on all of them.  I have no problem rendering in cpu mode.  I can use gpu rendering with Luxus, and Reality, but that's using the Lux Renderer rather than LuxCore.  It's really not that big of a deal, cause I do this for fun and not for profit, though I did buy a computer with a higher end graphics card (gtx 980), to take advantage of faster gpu rendering.  Works awesome with iRay and DazStudio, and Indigo

OK, just trying to find the problem with LuxusCore and NVIDIA, when I tested months ago on a GTX480, I got the same problems in Blender/LuxCore as I got in Carrara/LuxusCore on an older driver.

But it seems that newer drivers are still sketchy...

Thank you,  I appreciate your effort!

edited January 2016

Beta testing of Hair rendering in LuxusCore:

-Simple scene with Victoria 4.2 base and a Carrara shader set with a LuxCore SunSky light: All Hair sets in the free Samples folder (included with Carrara) work, except the "Spiral Ponytail" work both in GPU and CPU mode.
    -Spiral Ponytail says "An error has occured" in IPR and nothing at all in the Render Room, same problem in GPU/CPU path/bidir settings, so it is not a GPU problem. There is enough RAM available (>8GB RAM free), Carrara just locks right before the rendering should start.
    -Other commercial hair sets like http://www.daz3d.com/dynamic-rebel-hair-for-v4-and-m4 also crash the same way, so I guess it is a similar problem.
    -Only tested on my main rig so far: Carrara 8.5.1.19 Pro, Win 7 x64, 16GB RAM.

/EDIT: Found one diffference between the hair sets that work and those that do not work: One Hair group works, more than one Hair group does not work.
    Do not know enough about Carrara hair to understand how that can be a problem, if it is the problem.

Post edited by 3drendero on
  • SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598

New Build that times out endof June

Win64 -> https://app.box.com/s/2g03wx4j6y3lyw7uzhxgq6ifnk3hnxga

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    3drendero said:

The unofficial manual has just been updated with the latest added features, like GUI, Hair support and HDR/EXR rendering:
    http://carraracafe.com/plugins/luxuscore-for-carrara-plugin-unofficial-manual-2015-02-15/

Far from complete, it is a good start with most info from this thread, in one long page.

Just post here with more tips, tricks and renders and I can add it to the manual.

/EDIT: Added even more info in the FAQ and HDR/EXR settings.

Kudos, 3drendero! Thanks for your vigilance! That's very helpful!

Thanks Spheric! You Rock!!! :)

3drendero said:

Beta testing of Hair rendering in LuxusCore:

-Simple scene with Victoria 4.2 base and a Carrara shader set with a LuxCore SunSky light: All Hair sets in the free Samples folder (included with Carrara) work, except the "Spiral Ponytail" work both in GPU and CPU mode.
    -Spiral Ponytail says "An error has occured" in IPR and nothing at all in the Render Room, same problem in GPU/CPU path/bidir settings, so it is not a GPU problem. There is enough RAM available (>8GB RAM free), Carrara just locks right before the rendering should start.
    -Other commercial hair sets like http://www.daz3d.com/dynamic-rebel-hair-for-v4-and-m4 also crash the same way, so I guess it is a similar problem.
    -Only tested on my main rig so far: Carrara 8.5.1.19 Pro, Win 7 x64, 16GB RAM.

/EDIT: Found one diffference between the hair sets that work and those that do not work: One Hair group works, more than one Hair group does not work.
    Do not know enough about Carrara hair to understand how that can be a problem, if it is the problem.

Great detective work. I have a feeling that you've found the issue as well! So, for now at least, if we stick with a single group we may be fine.

• evilkooladeevilkoolade Posts: 114

Texture maps don't work at all I can render colors and stuff but maps wont display. though this is better than the all black renders i was getting before when i had even a single texture map in my scene

Is there a special scene that is the problem or more than one?

Most simple scenes I have tested, the auto conversion seems to be working ok and many texture maps are in place but not all, but I guess advanced shaders is a problem.

edited April 2016

Texture maps don't work at all I can render colors and stuff but maps wont display. though this is better than the all black renders i was getting before when i had even a single texture map in my scene

It's been a while since I've tried this (need to get back into it... sorry Spheric), but I think it was the pages of this thread that taught me how to use the LuxCore shader channels to add texture maps. In the very short time I played with it, I got this, with all kinds of cool options to tweak it out and make it better.

RT-Hair1.jpg
    645 x 625 - 348K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    3drendero said:

Most simple scenes I have tested, the auto conversion seems to be working ok and many texture maps are in place but not all, but I guess advanced shaders is a problem.

I cant get deffuse maps to work at all basic or advanced.

• TGS808TGS808 Posts: 168
    edited April 2016

Any chance there's going to be a version for Mac at some point?

Post edited by TGS808 on
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444

Hi! And thank you for the new built!

I am coming back to Carrara after a long hiatus, so I have all the latest installs (of everything) on a year-old system with NVIDIA GeForece GTX 960 with the newest driver 364.44. Strange thing: the sample scenes render fine in IPR with GPU and CPU, but if I try a more complex scene with custom shaders, it either goes to black or throws "An error has occured" message (no explanations). CPU only works fine.

Also, when I try to specify halt conditions in the Render Room panel, the render just goes all to black and finishes in a couple of seconds.

When I tried to give LuxCore Infinite light an IES profile, it gave me an error that it does not recognize the file format. (I have used the same profiles wirh regular Carrara lights)

Question: Right now the Sun Light only works with either Sky or Sky2. Will there be a way to specify a map (such as an HDRI file) instead? (Apparently the HDRI included in the scene is currently ignored)

3drendero said:

Ok i have been playing with autoconverted textures and some work and some don't and i can't seam to find any ryme or reason why one will and another wont

luxed.jpg
    1640 x 2460 - 511K
    Antara said:

Question: Right now the Sun Light only works with either Sky or Sky2. Will there be a way to specify a map (such as an HDRI file) instead? (Apparently the HDRI included in the scene is currently ignored)

See Chapter 5, Insert->LuxCore Infinite and choose a HDRI or EXR: 

http://carraracafe.com/plugins/luxuscore-for-carrara-plugin-unofficial-manual-2015-02-15/

3drendero said:

Ok i have been playing with autoconverted textures and some work and some don't and i can't seam to find any ryme or reason why one will and another wont

Not sure if Spehric worked with the auto conversion function in detail, or just coded for basic texture maps for now.
    Think there was a post somewhere here about it...

Antara said:

Hi! And thank you for the new built!

I am coming back to Carrara after a long hiatus, so I have all the latest installs (of everything) on a year-old system with NVIDIA GeForece GTX 960 with the newest driver 364.44. Strange thing: the sample scenes render fine in IPR with GPU and CPU, but if I try a more complex scene with custom shaders, it either goes to black or throws "An error has occured" message (no explanations). CPU only works fine.

Also, when I try to specify halt conditions in the Render Room panel, the render just goes all to black and finishes in a couple of seconds.

When I tried to give LuxCore Infinite light an IES profile, it gave me an error that it does not recognize the file format. (I have used the same profiles wirh regular Carrara lights)

Nvidia driver has been a problem with LuxCore for a long time now, I got the same problems in Blender with LuxCore, so it is not a LuxusCore for Carrara issue, it is an NVIDIA issue since AMD runs fine.

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444

Thank you!

Tried an HDRI on the Global Illumination scene and it worked. Thank you!

However, I am having difficulties with the shaders. When I try to set them up, I get all sorts of confusing results: I either don't see the changes or the changes crash Carrara altogether. And this is with CPU only, so it's a separate issue from NVIDIA problems. Is there a library of safe shaders to use - like a single basic shader for each of the available material types? (Aside from the ones that come with sample scene and the emiter one)? Maybe if I make simple alterations to those, I won't get so many crashes.

edited April 2016

As a start, there are a few simple shaders in the sample files from the unofficial manual:

http://sphericlabs.com/scratch/LuxusScene.zip
    http://sphericlabs.com/preview/Emissive.zip
    https://app.box.com/s/vts493zf37mq3q551lupr1hmwdg7bt59 - Spotlight test scene

And 2 written examples in §4.1 and § 4.3:

If anyone has anything else to share, please post and I can add them to the manual.

• So is Luxus for Carrara the same thing as LuxCore or am I missing something here?

thanks

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Luxus needed the user to install "Luxrender" and the plugin would send data from Carrara to Luxrender,.

LuxCore doesn't need that,. just the plugin,. the render engine is built in

edited April 2016

Luxus plugin uses the "classic" LuxRender 1.x stand-alone application. Get it here: http://www.daz3d.com/luxus-for-carrara

LuxusCore plugin runs the new LuxCore engine inside Carrara. Will be a new product when finished.

LuxCore is an alpha version of LuxRender 2.x
    Luxrender and LuxCore are developed in parallell, I assume that Luxrender is more or less completed and works, while LuxCore is the newer engine still under heavy development.

-"LuxCore doesn't yet support all features available in LuxRender."
    -*The old LuxRender 1.x suffers of many limitations when it comes to modern features like dynamic scene editing and iterative rendering so it has been decided to write a completely new engine instead of improving the old engine. LuxCore is the name of the new engine. It offers all the features shown by SLG in the past (in terms of dynamic camera, textures, materials, objects, etc. editing) and more." 

• quantum-2653005quantum-2653005 Posts: 51
    edited April 2016

I asked because I use Reality for Poser and Reality for DS. So Luxus is just the linking software to start LuxRender, like Reality?

And this Octane renderer I've been reading about is just another unbiased renderer like LuxRender?

Does one offer functionality that makes it better than the other?  I've been reading about the various shader issues (native Carrara shaders -> unbiased renderer) regardless of how closely integrated the solutions currently are.  So is there a clear winner between the options? One that works with the native Carrara shaders better than the others? Actively being developed and supported?

I like the Carrara renderer for the simple things I'm currently learning how to do with it.

Post edited by quantum-2653005 on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I am an avid Octane user, so I may be biased (unlike the renderer! HoHo!). Octane requires an Nvidia graphics card, the more Cuda cores the better, it is very fast, especially compared to Luxrender (and yes, Luxus essentially plays the same linking role as Reality). It also works differently - with Luxrender you set up your scene, select render, the scene is transferred to the renderer where it renders. If something isn't right, you stop the render, go back to your scene, adjust and go through the process again.  With Octane, there is a live link between the renderer and your scene, so you open the Octane window and it starts to render. If you see something you want to adjust - lighting, a shader, a pose - you can adjust it in Carrara and the Octane window autimatically updates and restarts the render - and because of the speed, you get good feedback in seconds. This makes it a much more productive environment with the ability to tweak to perfection interactively.  The developer of Octane Render for Carrara has also done a great job in converting Carrara shaders to their Octane equivalents, so most things look good without too much adjustment, but you also get access to Octane's material definitions when you need them, and it continues to be actively developed.  So yes, you can get great results from Luxrender, but in my view, Octane is in a different league (whuch I suppose is refkected in the price).

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Here is an old video, things have changed a lot since it was made, but it guves you an idea of the speed and the workflow.