Install Path? Directory Structure?

Mark C HollowayMark C Holloway Posts: 141
edited December 2014 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello My Artistic friends,
I have searched and can not find the answer.
I notice when I get a download. I am left with a zip file and when I may need to reinstall the item, The directory structure messes me up.
I install to both Daz Studio and poser but all the zip files start with content. They do not show up in poser and sometimes they do not even seem to fall into the correct places in Documents in my Daz folder.(((( I really miss the old way of installing Daz content))).
Anyone know where I might take a look at the way it is suppose to install? The directory structure?
Anyway, thanks,
I will name my first born after you for this answer and Merry Christmas

Post edited by Mark C Holloway on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

The folder named "Content" is just shorthand for "the content is in here" -- when you install, take what's INSIDE the folder named "Content" and merge that with the folders in your DS/Poser content folder. You don't want an actual folder named "Content" inside your real content folder.

• Mark C HollowayMark C Holloway Posts: 141
    edited December 1969

I would also love to see the proper install directory structure.
    Ever since the change in the installer. I have had nothing but trouble. I miss the old installer and I see so many people with the same problems and no clear answers.
    Why was the installers changed some years back?
    Structure for installing to both Poser and Daz?
    After a download here. I am left with a zip file.
    since I do not understand where they are suppose to fall into place. When I have to reinstall something, I am really screwed.
    The old installers were just fine and never had a problem.

edited December 1969

The folder named "Content" is just shorthand for "the content is in here" -- when you install, take what's INSIDE the folder named "Content" and merge that with the folders in your DS/Poser content folder. You don't want an actual folder named "Content" inside your real content folder.

So if I understand you correctly, The folder (content) does not need to be there?
    For example, For Poser, I just take out everything inside content and let it fall into place in runtime?
    Why is the folder called content there in the first place?

edited December 1969

Tried taking out of content folder and I can see it but not visable in poser once loaded and in daz studio, says missing file dsf from data folder, This is a real pain.

edited December 1969

Hello My artistic friends,
    I can not seem to get someone to explain the correct install paths for both Daz and Poser when it comes to anything that is Genesis or the DSON.
    It has almost stopped me from spending any money at Daz.
    After I purchased Michael 6 and Installed him. I found myself having to reinstall him but from my downloads, I am only left with a Zip file.
    The directory structure is not user friendly. Not like the old installers. Why Daz changed this is a mystery to me because so many people have the problems I am having but no clear answer. Here is a screen shot of the Michael6PoserCF in the Zip

Please see images below

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/Lakotafeather/My Models and Textures/InstallPath1.jpg

Ok, now this is where it installs and this does not work. I have tried taking what is inside of it and dropping it into runtime and that does not work

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/Lakotafeather/My Models and Textures/InstallPath2.jpg

I run into the same thing for the Daz Zips and since it is no longer in a installer. I can not seem to extract it into the correct path.
    Has anyone ever taken the time to break it all down and explain where it all goes (Formats and all) ?
    I do not have any problem with anything that is (NOT DSON TYPE of setup.)
    I miss the old installers and Daz I bet is losing money because this is not clear to anyone, I see these install problems all the time.
    Anyway, Sure could use some help please

Install_Path_2.jpg
    761 x 687 - 118K
    Install_Path1.jpg
    793 x 507 - 148K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

First things first, you should NEVER put user content into the Programs Files folder in Windows since Windows Vista. It will lead to problems down the line as it is an area protected by the UAC.

If you use the DAZ Install Manager (DIM) it takes the place of the old installers, and it will install everything into the correct folders. You can, of course, download the ZIP files, and install the content yourself if you know what you are doing, but it should never be installed into Program Files.

DIM, by default, installs to : C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library but you can tell DIM to install content to another folder, or drive, if you want to.

If you download the ZIP files yourself, you need to take the contents of the folder called 'Content' and place them into your DAZ Studio library folder, wherever it may be. In other words, you should NOT have a folder called Content, jut the folders it contains. In the folder 'My DAZ3D Library' that DIM creates, there is a folder called 'Runtime' which is used to hold Poser Content. DAZ Studio can read this, and Poser can be directed to this folder as a Poser Library.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,392
    edited December 1969

What files did you install? You need both the "DSON Core" file (which has the actual items) and the "Poser companion files" (which has extra scripts used by the DSON importer and Poser materials).

I saw in your other thread that you wanted to use M6. Did you install "Genesis 2 Male Starter Essentials" too? If you didn't then you don't have the base figure installed, so M6 (which is a G2M morph) can't load.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

duplicate threads merged. Please do not post the same query in multiple forum, it just confuses the issue because people are trying to help you in both threads

edited December 1969

I would also love to see the proper install directory structure.

They do have the proper directory structure.

Ever since the change in the installer. I have had nothing but trouble. I miss the old installer and I see so many people with the same problems and no clear answers.

People who prefer installers should use DIM.

Why was the installers changed some years back?

Because many people complained about them -- too many clicks, problems with MacOS changes, leftover logic from the Poser 6 era.

Structure for installing to both Poser and Daz?

The same.

After a download here. I am left with a zip file.
    since I do not understand where they are suppose to fall into place. When I have to reinstall something, I am really screwed.

That's what DIM is for.

The old installers were just fine and never had a problem.

Unfortunately others did, as noted above. The solution chosen was to provide zips for those who prefer zips, and DIM for those who prefer installers.

edited December 1969

Dim Installer? I only have that once, when I first download using the downloader from Daz but the only thing saved on my computer after it is installed is a Zip file. I no longer have a Dim to use. Im stuck with a Zip. So when it may come time to reinstall something. Im stuck with a Zip that has this directory structure.
    I download using the Daz Installer, I have a location where to save my downloads, The downloader installs into the program and I find that it installed but also where the download was saved is Zip. Not Dim.
    I can not download and save something as a dim installer, It always turns into a zip. So what am I to do?

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Thank you chohole,
    I will be spending some time reading the links you have posted here.
    I want to learn the structure and understand it clearly. Also understand this Daz Installer. Thank you

Reminds me of my first computer,
    Had a Pentium 386 processor, Windows 3.1
    Had a problem booting it up,
    I must have read 4 or 5 books about Dos and how it all worked.
    After all that reading, It turned out to be a boot virus called Monkey B.
    Computer back then had 64 megabites of ram. Back then, That was great.
    At least I learned a lot about DOS.

edited December 1969

First things first, you should NEVER put user content into the Programs Files folder in Windows since Windows Vista. It will lead to problems down the line as it is an area protected by the UAC.

If you use the DAZ Install Manager (DIM) it takes the place of the old installers, and it will install everything into the correct folders. You can, of course, download the ZIP files, and install the content yourself if you know what you are doing, but it should never be installed into Program Files.

DIM, by default, installs to : C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library but you can tell DIM to install content to another folder, or drive, if you want to.

If you download the ZIP files yourself, you need to take the contents of the folder called 'Content' and place them into your DAZ Studio library folder, wherever it may be. In other words, you should NOT have a folder called Content, jut the folders it contains. In the folder 'My DAZ3D Library' that DIM creates, there is a folder called 'Runtime' which is used to hold Poser Content. DAZ Studio can read this, and Poser can be directed to this folder as a Poser Library.

Ok JimmyC,
    I did not know that by default It installed to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library
    I had to go look for that.
    After adding that to both directorys in Daz and Poser, They load up in the programs.
    This info helps a whole lot.

Question?
    If I have the installer directed to my Daz Librarys in Documents (Not the Public Documents)
    It would still work?

My headache from all of this is going away :)

edited December 1969

Yes, you can add your desired path in DIM in Settings > Installation with the plus sign in the lower left, then make sure you change the current location to your new location.

edited December 2014

Yes, you can add your desired path in DIM in Settings > Installation with the plus sign in the lower left, then make sure you change the current location to your new location.

Ok, This was one of my major problems.
    This helps so, so much.
    These problems really kept me from making a bunch of purchases because I was having so many problems.
    Now time to shop, LOL
    Thank you all for your Help and putting up with me.
    Feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
    Again, Thanks to all of you.
    Merry Christmas

Post edited by Mark C Holloway on