Finding Megalopolis In Bryce...

XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
edited December 2014 in Bryce Discussion

After a long break from Bryce (literally hadn't installed it since getting this computer), I realised I had some content for it which was purchased a while ago. So, I cautiously went about telling the Daz Install Manager where to place new content, which, so far as I know, should be at: Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7

I then tell it to install this:

http://www.daz3d.com/rigel-orionis-megalopolis

Now, if this works, I know I can get some new stuff for Bryce, let it take care of where to install it and be on my merry way... The problem is, Bryce doesn't seem to be showing anything called 'Structural Complex' or 'Futuristic City'. At least, not where I'm looking (the menu of stuff which opens up when you click the little arrow next to 'Create'). I figured the 'Terrain' section might be the most obvious place, but it only seem to show what was in there before, no futuristic cities or anything like that.

Am I looking in the wrong place for the futuristic city Megalopolis content to show up?

Post edited by Xenomorphine on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2014

Bryce is very particular as the where content is installed.

A quick guide a screenshot from Horo's very useful PDF which can be found here http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf

From that you can see that as it says the Bryce specific files are .obp, then they should be installed into your presets library somewhere, but as I don't have the product I can't check where.

You should also find a Bryce scene. This will probably be a .br5 file, given the age of the product. Search for *.br5 on your computer to see if you can locate it that way

It may actually be helpful to you to download the product again manually and check the contents of the Zip file to see what things are called, so you can search for them.

Or Search on your computer for "estevez" to see if you can find them that way

bryce_content.jpg
    737 x 422 - 202K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Of course another way of trying to sort this out would be for me to transfer this thread into the Bryce forum, and see if other Brycers have any idea.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

Well, ideally, I'd presume I should be able to access the Megalopolis stuff from within Bryce, itself? The DIM might well have installed it correctly, but I might not be... Using Bryce in the way I should be, for all I know.

Maybe someone over there might also have it?

edited December 1969

Yes, which was why I suggested moving this. We brycers don't often wander far from our own forum. For obvious reasons I am the exception

edited December 1969

Sure! I'll rely on your expertise, Bryce-wise. :)

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Well, ideally, I'd presume I should be able to access the Megalopolis stuff from within Bryce, itself? The DIM might well have installed it correctly, but I might not be... Using Bryce in the way I should be, for all I know.

Maybe someone over there might also have it?

I doubt very much if the DIM will have installed correctly into Bryce, If it has, it will be the first time ever that that has happened. :lol:

Like Chohole suggest, if you can find the Bryce scene file that comes with the product (99.9% of the time, there is one) and open that, it will load all the materials etc. And that would be the best place to start... It's difficult advising because I don't have the product either, but mostly, Bryce isn't bothered where you unpack stuff as long you know where it's unpacked and you can point Bryce to it as and when you need it. So for onstance, if there are .OBP files, you'd go into your objects library and create a new folder (using the little plus sign at the bottom left) called :My STUFF or whatever, and click the 'import' button to the right and navigate to the .OBP file you wish to import.

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

That's seriously disappointing to hear... I'll tell the auto-installer to go and uninstall the content I tried, in that case. I assumed it worked as fine for Bryce as it does for Daz Studio, given that it has Bryce as an option there.

Useful to know, though, thank you very much!

Out of interest, as I'm primarily trying to use it to create 'Smart IBM' sky spheres for Reality, is there a way to make the Bryce sun look like a moon? I'm wanting to create some night and, especially, stormy-looking chaotic skies for it.

edited December 2014

There are actually quite a few nightime skies in the content that comes with Bryce 7, and some do have the moon in them.

Using minus values in the altitude of the sun control in the sky lab (Sun and Moon screen) will give you a moon,

You will have to adjust the Azimuth to get the moon where you want it.

You also have controls in the Sky lab to set moon phase, the amount of earthshine and the softness. You can also add an image to it.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Fantastic! Thank you! That should help enormously for scenes involving dusk at sea, graveyards and such.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Out of interest, as I'm primarily trying to use it to create 'Smart IBM' sky spheres for Reality, is there a way to make the Bryce sun look like a moon? I'm wanting to create some night and, especially, stormy-looking chaotic skies for it.

As well as the Bryce Moon which does have certain drawbacks (mainly that you can't alter the brightness of it), Yes you can make the sun look a bit like a moon even though it won't have any texture on it.

Black sky, grey clouds and switch the stars on. Add some black haze until the sun just looks like a disc with no glow (in my render below, I've also made the sun a very slight shade of blue.
    You can alter it's size and all the other parameters in the sky lab.

CrossMoon.jpg
    650 x 650 - 123K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited December 1969

This was done in Bryce using a texture on the moon. I used one of my own Moon images.

snowmen-on-ice-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 367K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,294
    edited December 1969

To place the Sun or Moon in the scene:
    Initialise: [Ctrl]+[Alt] and double click on the sun roller ball.
    Place Sun: [Ctrl]+[Alt] and click in the wireframe wher you want the sun. A yellow asterisk appears.
    Place Moon: [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Shift] and click on the wireframe where you want the moon. A blue asterisk appears.