Green Minotaur???

LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,443
edited December 2014 in Daz Studio Discussion

Arghhh! After biting the bullet and moving my Studio4 content from my woefully inadequate secondary computer to my primary computer, and installing Studio4.7.0.12 and searching for "Known Directories" (only the "MyLibrary") I try to render a scene using the new Minotaur, and begorrah he looks as if he just came from a besotted St. Patrick's Day parade. 8-o

The render was with 3Delight. A screen snap of the Viewport shows correct color. Any ideas?

RedTaur1ViewPort.jpg
698 x 879 - 72K
RedTaur1Green.jpg
697 x 882 - 202K
Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Comments

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    edited December 1969

What's really "Interesting" is that it's not uniform - it looks like a texture map is being projected across the poor guy via a light or camera effect.
    Recommendation - make a new scene, load just the default minotaur with the vanilla textures in, no props or lights or cameras or clothes or anything that doesn't come attached to the character, and try that.

If that isn't green, load your texture set on, and test that.

If THAT isn't green, load in your lights and test those, then your camera and test with the lights. If it's still behaving, add the clothes, and if THAT works, save as a scene subset and delete the old one (and lights and camera) out of your scene as wonky. Save your pose as a pose preset first so you can quickly put the "clean" one in place.

And then if everything mysteriously turns green again ANYWAYS, zip up your scene and send it to DAZ Support because I bet they'll be interested :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341
    edited December 1969

I sometimes get an issue like that when I've tried a lot of different texture sets - I think it's some kind of corruption, a restart or new scene usually fixes it.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,443
    edited December 2014

Well, I don't know what the problem is, but since it was such a simple scene I just re-created it from scratch and all is OK. Go figure!

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,235
    edited December 1969

Hulkotaur?

edited December 2014

Razor 42 said:
    Hulkotaur?

"Lepracown"?

"Irish Cowfee"?

• Roboman28Roboman28 Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately this is a fault in the default Daz renderer, 3delight. To get rid of it either get rid of your shadows or set them to raytraced. This will take much longer to do. Alternatively you can try your luck and render again. Sometimes you get the bright green, sometimes it will be OK. The renderer is strangely random.

edited December 2014

Very interesting. I rebuilt the scene with lights & shadows and re-rendered but all is OK now.

HOWEVER, I ran into another problem. Images below are of a scene made with an earlier version of Studio4 and F5 with the Derick character. The viewport shows his knees and feet encased in plastic but 3Delight render shows him properly. Arghhh! Any ideas? Am I going to run into more of these types of problems with scenes imported from older versions of Studio4?

Edited to add:
    Ah, here's a hint. Rendering with basic OpenGL shows the partial box renders on the thighs and feet, but Rendering with Intermediate OpenGL renders properly as does a 3Delight render. What is it about Basic OpenGL and the Viewport display that is boogered up?

F5_Derick.jpg
    726 x 752 - 103K
    F5_DerickBad.jpg
    758 x 776 - 73K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341
    edited December 1969

Should there be an item of clothing or a prop there? It looks like the proxy for a missing geometry, which I don't think will render (though I'm not certain of that).

edited December 2014

Should there be an item of clothing or a prop there? It looks like the proxy for a missing geometry, which I don't think will render (though I'm not certain of that).

Ah ha! Found it. Thank you. :-)

I had the MrHyde shorts in the scene but they weren't showing. My MrHyde morphs worked but pants didn't show. I tried reinstalling the MrHyde installation file a couple of times, but still no cigar. :-(

Remembering that MrHyde was one of the first Genesis characters I purchased when first trying out Studio4 I figured that there must have been an update of MrHyde. So I re-downloaded MrHyde from my product list, reinstalled it, and ta-da it works now. Yea!

I have to admit that I struggled with Studio4 and Genesis for a looong time. I don't trust early releases of software. I tried it each time a new version came out. I ran it on my secondary desktop machine installing only a few Genesis products but fought adopting it. However, this 4.7 version seems to be tolerable. It appears to play well with Studio3 on the same computer, and my sacred studio3 library is still intact and uncorrupted. Now, if I can just deal with the lack of "Handgrip" plugin, and mind numbing interface changes, and various early versions of Genesis products that have to be updated I'll survive the transition into Studio4. It does work tolerably fast in my primary, dual core* i5, 8GB desktop so I won't have to spend $$$ this year for a new machine. Double yea!

* Yes, "dual core, not quad-core"! Some I5s are dual core. A fact I didn't learn until AFTER I bought my machine based on the fact that it had an i5 processor. :-(

f5_DerickOK.jpg
    638 x 752 - 112K
    edited February 2015

Arghhh...., my green Minotaur is back again! :-(

Image below shows 4 render attempts. Very simple scene. Two figures, two lights and a floor. No clothes in initial scene at all except minotaur leggings.

Render on upper left is two lights, no shadows.

Upper right is deep shadow mask on light that casts shadow behind minotaur.

Lower left is same two lights, raytraced shadows instead of deep shadow mask. Image OK. No greenness.

Lower right is same two lights deep shadow mask again. Only changes are pants on the ogre, ogre moved to the floor, larger floor plane, minotaur tail pose changed and briefs on the minotaur. Note only green horns this time.

RawArt's "Ogora" never has any shadow problems but the problem child is RawArt's standard "Tauran-III Red Taur" with no texture modifications.

Using latest Studio4 (4.7.0.12 64-bit) with only two basic DAZ Studio distant lights.

Totally confused about why the greenness changes coverage with only minor changes to scene.

This scene is the same scene I declared fixed when this problem was first discussed at the top of this thread.

Not happy about these types of random problems. :-( What is it about the minotaur textures & renderer that causes this?

Help :-(

Edited to add:
    Oops, wait... I found some complications in the scene. Duplicate but unvisible armor and mis-parented figures. (*sigh*) I'll try again.

rentertests.jpg
    800 x 800 - 39K