Carrara Challenge #58 - It's a Kind of Magic - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

13»

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Hocus Pocus!  very fun theme. congrats to everyone for being involved in the community.  cheers

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Bravo to all the entrants and winners.  Excellent gallery of images.  Thank you to people who found something in one of my entries to vote for, and thank you to Headwax as host and Daz for sponsorship.

• mschackmschack Posts: 337
    edited July 2021

Loved seeing the renders coming out in this challenge.  I am really humbled by the votes, wow (I had to look after that comment)... Thanks Headwax for a really well run challenge, and his always inspiring words... I mean it's Heaven next, what can you say... 

Post edited by mschack on

Honoring Pam (Chohole) is a wonderful idea.  I did a quick google search for Welsh Heaven and had to chuckle.

"Annwn, Annwfn, or Annwfyn is the Otherworld in Welsh mythology. Ruled by Arawn, it was essentially a world of delights and eternal youth where disease was absent and food was ever-abundant. It became identified with the Christian afterlife in paradise. Wikipedia"

A-n-n-w-f-n.  

Of course that is the Welsh spelling of heaven.  Who needs vowels?  It is missing a bunch of L's and more w's.  wink

The only Welsh-based stories I know are children's stories adapted by Lloyd Alexander.  Arawn is actually the bad guy, so that is interesting.  I enjoyed the books very much.  The first in the series is The Book of Three.  Disney did an adaptation of the second Book (The Black Cauldron), but it flopped badly.  I always thought someone should revisit the series.

I will make a special effort to honor Pam.  I might do a Bryce landscape and drop it in the Carrara scene backdrop or background.  Or find some other way to incorporate Bryce.

Thinking cap is on.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

awesome stuff everyone..

thanks to those that voted on my images heart

great hosting and challenge theme @headwax

and thanks Daz3d

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Congratulations to the winners and all the participants. And thank you Headwax for a great job hosting! yes smiley

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Congratulations to all the winners, very well done indeed!  :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited July 2021

Thanks for all the thanks, I'm proud to be a member of such an amazing bunch of talented, intelligent, charismatic bunch of artists who use Carrara. :)

I'll have the next challenge up in a few days if all goeth well.

Apologies - my computer died this morning and I have resurrected an old one running windows 7.

The old one wouldnt turn on and kept beeping so I pulled out all the memory sticks bar 1 and it seems to be hopping along...

Then I had to update the browser from internet explorer. It was singing along and now I have Edge it's bumbling along. That's progress.

Not sure for how long... at least the fan on it is going at the moment

A quick google tells that beep beep beep ad ifinitum is not a good sign.

Anways that,s beside the point.

Thanks very much for all who sailed in this challenge.

Glad that one for Pam is happily accepted.

cheers 

Post edited by Headwax on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Headwax,  My computer people who keep me running said to use Chrome on Windows 7 as MS is not supporting W7 now, so I think their reasoning is that Chrome has better browser security?  I don't do anything serious on it, but for surfing it seems to be holding up this last year with my antivirus not complaining and still updating the databases. Unless this was all BS by MS and you can use W7 online no problem?

I hope to work on an entry for Pam. So look forward to it!

heart Silene

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Headwax - hope the second computer is full of life !

Looking forward to Pams dedication !!!

Oh no, another computer meltdown horror tale.  Hope you get it sorted out with minimum ongoing suffering, Andrew.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited July 2021

SileneUK said:

Headwax,  My computer people who keep me running said to use Chrome on Windows 7 as MS is not supporting W7 now, so I think their reasoning is that Chrome has better browser security?  I don't do anything serious on it, but for surfing it seems to be holding up this last year with my antivirus not complaining and still updating the databases. Unless this was all BS by MS and you can use W7 online no problem?

I hope to work on an entry for Pam. So look forward to it!

heart Silene

Nope. Windows is under constant threat from folks that just want to wreck other people's things. It's sad, really. So I imagine that the advice to use Chrome is very sound advice.

The irritating part for me was trying to find parts that support Win 7, so when I built my new one, I just went with Win 10.

When I didn't like 10, it was mostly my resistance for change at the time combined with an under-powered laptop. I love Windows 10 as my CG machine!

In fact, I've recently (a couple days ago) backed up the important files on this pathetic little laptop and reinstalled Win 10 again - this time not running anti-Win 10 scripts I found from the web, and it performs 100 times better.

The thing with this laptop is that: during that initial launch of Windows 10 when it asks all of the questions about features to turn or leave on, I turned off everything that requires Windows to access the internet on its own without asking - because that is what will really suck the life out of an under-powered machine.

I turned most (all?) of that off on my good PC as well, simply because I don't feel a need (at all!!!) for all of their conveniences - trying to turn my computer into a Smartphone. Screw that!!! LOL

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited July 2021

Headwax said:

Apologies - my computer died this morning and I have resurrected an old one running windows 7.

bugger!

not the new one?

have you tried turning it off and then back on again? devil

Post edited by Stezza on
  • Hello everyone,

How about if we circle back to a new challenge of the best photorealistic interior design render.With gorgious looking Global Illumination lights hiting the rooms, walls etc.

Clallenge is make them look photo ready for a major magazine. ;)

Ringo

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks for all the well wishers and advice - much appreciated.

The computer doctor had to give my ram mouth to mouth and a bit of sub graphic palpitation, plus an injjection of albumen but now all is good and on (mother) board  :)

Ringo that is an idea for sure! 

Looking forward to seeing some of your work in the next challenge :)!!! Seriously, the more the merrier.

Have you read Color and Light by James Gurney - 9780740797712 - Dymocks - it's a great book for painting but very relevant to our trade

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Headwax said:

thanks for all the well wishers and advice - much appreciated.

The computer doctor had to give my ram mouth to mouth and a bit of sub graphic palpitation, plus an injjection of albumen but now all is good and on (mother) board  :)

Ringo that is an idea for sure! 

Looking forward to seeing some of your work in the next challenge :)!!! Seriously, the more the merrier.

Have you read Color and Light by James Gurney - 9780740797712 - Dymocks - it's a great book for painting but very relevant to our trade

Glad your computer is off life support and back up and running !!!

Color and Light is a good read, would also recommend his Imaginative Realism (ISBN: 978-0-7407-8550-4) !