Help with Specular

geoffmccabegeoffmccabe Posts: 39
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm trying to add a shiny tear that's on a vampire's face, using specular maps.

I can get it to have a raised look by creating the tear on the main texture, then using the bump map to elevate it.

But, I can't get it to appear glossy/shiny against the regular matte skin texture.

I've tried every combination of filter settings, but there are just too many. Can someone please write out specific filter settings that would make the tear shiny (I have the tear region set to white in the spec map)

Also, I've noticed that some filters are missing from the face. For example, on the lips, I have a "Lighting Model" that's set to "Glossy (Plastic)" but on the face, that filter doesn't appear. Can anyone explain why this is and how to display the missing filters?

Thanks

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I made a drop in the august Carrara Challenge, it's a simple water preset of Carrara...
    I don't know if it's what you search ?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/657166/

edited December 1969

I don't think that your approach is valid, quite simply because, if I understand well, you creates a morph zone on the face for the tear, but it is the interior of the head which one sees in transparency, therefore it is difficult to have the same effect as a true tear.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Strange world we live in, I was working on something similar recently. I was experimenting with odnajdy's Tears product from Rendo, which actually takes and morphs V4's existing tear mesh. In my case I ended up setting the highlight to 65.10% and shininess to 12.87%

What you need to know is that in the texture room the channels of shininess and highlight control the specular effect. Highlight controls how bright the spec is, and Shininess controls how wide or narrow the spec 'spreads'.

Since you're dealing with a spec map, unless I misread that, I would put the spec map in the highlight channel using an operator: multiply, with the texture map in the first channel and a 1-100% in the second channel and just bring that percentage up til it worked right, and then set the shininess channel with something similar to the 12.87% I used. It's a matter of adjusting to suit what you need til it looks right.

crying_3.gif
    400 x 600 - 125K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I'm trying to add a shiny tear that's on a vampire's face, using specular maps.

I can get it to have a raised look by creating the tear on the main texture, then using the bump map to elevate it.

But, I can't get it to appear glossy/shiny against the regular matte skin texture.

I've tried every combination of filter settings, but there are just too many. Can someone please write out specific filter settings that would make the tear shiny (I have the tear region set to white in the spec map)

Also, I've noticed that some filters are missing from the face. For example, on the lips, I have a "Lighting Model" that's set to "Glossy (Plastic)" but on the face, that filter doesn't appear. Can anyone explain why this is and how to display the missing filters?

Thanks

I just want to make sure we are talking Carrara here and not DAZ Studio or Poser.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Strange world we live in, I was working on something similar recently. I was experimenting with odnajdy's Tears product from Rendo, which actually takes and morphs V4's existing tear mesh. In my case I ended up setting the highlight to 65.10% and shininess to 12.87%

What you need to know is that in the texture room the channels of shininess and highlight control the specular effect. Highlight controls how bright the spec is, and Shininess controls how wide or narrow the spec 'spreads'.

Since you're dealing with a spec map, unless I misread that, I would put the spec map in the highlight channel using an operator: multiply, with the texture map in the first channel and a 1-100% in the second channel and just bring that percentage up til it worked right, and then set the shininess channel with something similar to the 12.87% I used. It's a matter of adjusting to suit what you need til it looks right.

I usually put my specular maps in the Highlight channel as that is the channel that controls the brightness of the effect. I then put a numeric slider in the Shininess as that controls the spread of the specular effect.

P.S. I think it is time I came up with a new wet skin picture!

Bikini_Car_wash_GI_copy.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    edited December 1969

We like to re-examine this one from time to time…:-)