How to Move and Duplicate Key Frames

geoffmccabegeoffmccabe Posts: 39
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

I'm a beginner to animation in Daz, and find it very difficult to do simple things.

For example, how do I move the Key Frames? For example, I have decided that some parts of the animation are too fast and I want to slide over the key frames to slow that section down. I should be able to click and drag them to a new position, but they seem to be fixed in place.

And how do I duplicate a Key Frame so I can repeat an animation segment rather than building it again?

Thanks.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

well cannot as such in DAZ but there are workarounds
    memorize and restore under edit figure is one way
    you can use this to overwrite a keyframe to an extent but tweening will still occur from that new pose
    changing framerate and rendering to image series another way
    puppeteer can be also used to overwrite
    also buying animate2 and graphmate and keymate will help but wait until on sale if you can

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

As far as I know, if you use the regular timeline, you can't move keyframes. The timeline is not an editor. But if you have "animate 2" , "graphmate" or "keymate" from Gofigure. it is easy to move or duplicate keyframes, as both are editors.
    http://www.daz3d.com/animate2
    http://www.daz3d.com/keymate
    http://www.daz3d.com/graphmate

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

graphmate is your friend here

but you can just rightclick copy the keyframe and paste it where you want
    then delete the unwanted keyframe

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 2014

I'm a beginner to animation in Daz, and find it very difficult to do simple things.

For example, how do I move the Key Frames? For example, I have decided that some parts of the animation are too fast and I want to slide over the key frames to slow that section down. I should be able to click and drag them to a new position, but they seem to be fixed in place.

And how do I duplicate a Key Frame so I can repeat an animation segment rather than building it again?

Thanks.

You can double click the aniblock you have on the timeline , and trim back the ani block on each side until you have just the portion of the motion you want.keep, then right click the aniblock and save as a new ani block That will give just the part of the motion you want,
    you can also trim the aniblock back to the point where you need that particular motion to stop and then join the next ani block your going to use next and trim that one to match as close as you can to the next aniblock. , In the process if the character turns left or right then click the animate timeline you can adjust the speed of the aniblock motion and realign the joined ani blocks to match direction using the the Degree orientation tool next to the speed tool located on top of the timeline

if you hand keyframe yor motion and want to save it to use again over and over .. then highlight your keyframes you created and right click and bake save as a Ainblock, if you are using BVH files than save as a direct HVH copy and turn it into a aniblock.

there is a lot of trial and error playing around with it until you become use to using aniblocks & the animate timeline & once you get use to trimming and baking your motions files you will be creating custom aniblocks in no time

, I rarely use keymate any more. and only use graph mate when I need to use more than one motion ani block for the same time line space.

I hope that helps and good luck

2.JPG
    1430 x 978 - 134K
    1.jpg
    1183 x 982 - 116K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • Alien AlloyAlien Alloy Posts: 181

Ivy said:

geoffmccabe said:

Thanks.

You can double click the aniblock you have on the timeline , and trim back the ani block on each side until you have just the portion of the motion you want.keep, then right click the aniblock and save as a new ani block That will give just the part of the motion you want,
    you can also trim the aniblock back to the point where you need that particular motion to stop and then join the next ani block your going to use next and trim that one to match as close as you can to the next aniblock. , In the process if the character turns left or right then click the animate timeline you can adjust the speed of the aniblock motion and realign the joined ani blocks to match direction using the the Degree orientation tool next to the speed tool located on top of the timeline

if you hand keyframe yor motion and want to save it to use again over and over .. then highlight your keyframes you created and right click and bake save as a Ainblock, if you are using BVH files than save as a direct HVH copy and turn it into a aniblock.

there is a lot of trial and error playing around with it until you become use to using aniblocks & the animate timeline & once you get use to trimming and baking your motions files you will be creating custom aniblocks in no time

, I rarely use keymate any more. and only use graph mate when I need to use more than one motion ani block for the same time line space.

I know it has been a gazilion years and I wonder if you are still active on the forum.

I was looking at your mini tutorial but I've to say that I don't have that option on my animate2.

If I double click on the timeline of any character or prop, it opens the properties but no way to do a cut and paste or copy and paste, for example frame 99 to 1 and make it the default one.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited May 2021

Alien Alloy said:

Ivy said:

geoffmccabe said:

Thanks.

I know it has been a gazilion years and I wonder if you are still active on the forum.

I was looking at your mini tutorial but I've to say that I don't have that option on my animate2.

If I double click on the timeline of any character or prop, it opens the properties but no way to do a cut and paste or copy and paste, for example frame 99 to 1 and make it the default one.

Hi , I rarely if ever comment in the daz forums anymore unless I get a email notice of a comment made to me on one of my post i had made in the past.  I have quit investing in daz studio & buying its content and moved on.  I did not like the way I was treated in the forums by the moderators. so didn't feel like I was a valued customer anymore. So I am sorry for the delay in my reply. i only just got the email notice of your comment.

But to Answer your question the best as i can.  The cut and paste works in daz studio 4.12 and older versions timeline.  I can not vouch for newer daz studio versions.  But the cut and paste option will still worked in animmate2 no matter what version of daz studio as long as you have the full animate2 paid for licensed version and not the demo version that comes with daz studio.  you have to have the full version to unlock the cut and paste options. But if you have the full animate2 version  you just click the aniblock to open the keyframes properties an cut those keyframes you highlighted.  and then click the animate2 timeline create a new aniblock to paste the motion to a new aniblock. you can edit or remove keyframes the same way.

You can use  the cut  & paste options In the daz native timeline, & highlight and move keyframe animations along the dope-sheet .  but remember the dope-sheet sub-track motions will not be included in the cut or save of the animation in the native timeline its some thing  that should have been addressed by the DEV team but never was .. so I always bake my final animation to the animate2 timeline first. that way all the sub-tracks motions will be included and baked into the animation cycle..  then switch over from animate2  to the daz native timeline using the tab bar and then cut the animation in the timeline.   I have no idea if this feature still works in the newer versions of daz studio though sorry .  like i said I have quit investing in daz studio the last version i have is daz 4.12.0.86. 

I am sorry I can not be more help

Post edited by Ivy on