How to use Specular Map to add a shiny teardrop

geoffmccabegeoffmccabe Posts: 39

I'm trying to add a teardrop on a character's face, and have been unable to use Specular Maps to make it shiny.

I have drawn it into the regular texture, and can use the bump map to give it a popped-out 3d shape.

I've added it to the Specular map as a white image, hoping to set that to be maximum glossy-reflective.

But, no matter what combination of settings I use, I can't get it to become shiny. It always stays like the rest of the matte face.

Can someone write out the exact setting for the Spec texture controls that would make this shiny?

Also, I've noticed that for the lips, which are shiny/glossy, there are filter controls that don't exist for the face, such as "Lighting Model" which is set to "Glossy (Plastic)" Why are some of the filter options missing for the face surface and do I need these to make the teardrop shiny?

Thanks

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,093
    edited December 1969

What are your specular settings? Are you getting specular effects elsewhere in the render?

The Lighting Model parameter is a feature of the DAZ Default shader, effectively switching in different chunks of code to modify the whole behaviour of the surface. Other shaders don't do that. You can see which shader a surface uses by looking at top-left of the Surface pane.

• geoffmccabegeoffmccabe Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

Which of the specular settings would you want the values for? Are these the only things that would affect this? It seems the bmp maps could also affect it. And yes, the Spec settings are working and are affecting things, but so far I haven't been able to get a pure glossy look with any setting. I was only able to do that on the lips, which had a different Lighting Model, set to Glossy-Plastic.

For the Lighting Model Parameter, how do I change to a new one for the texture? It seems that could help to get the shinyness I want.

edited December 1969

Lighting model is a surface setting - you can't control it with a map, the whole face has to have the same setting. It's also available only with the DAZ Default Shader.

• geoffmccabegeoffmccabe Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

OK so still I'm wondering how to change the lighting model for a surface. In this case, if I want to change it for the inside of the mouth, to make the tongue more shiny/wet look. How can I get the glossy/plastic lighting model for that entire surface?

edited December 1969

You would have to be using the DAZ Default Shader - if you are using uberSurface, or the AoA SSS shader, or any other non-default shader you won't get that option and will have to adjust individual settings. Select teh surface and look at the top-left of the Surfaces pane to see which shader is being used by the current materials.